Gex The Gecko in Sonic 1
Hack of Sonic the Hedgehog
Gex The Gecko in Sonic 1
Hack of Sonic the Hedgehog
|Patching Information||BIN Format (GEN)|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||26 October 2020|
|Last Modified||21 February 2021|
This is a Sonic 1 hack made by JoenickROS, with sprites originally made by PacManfan64 and Gecko1993, and additional coding by MarkeyJester and Natsumi.
This build is the most recent version released, originally seen at SHC2020, and must be patched to the Rev0 version of Sonic the Hedgehog to work properly (patching to Rev1 crashes the game upon booting up).
This hack attempts to implement gameplay from Gex (1995), meaning the controls are slightly different than normal (minus wall climbing, which hasn’t been implemented yet):
- C - Jump / Swim Underwater (hold Down in-air to Tail Bounce, pressing Up immediately after a Tail Bounce increases height)
- B - Tongue Lash / Use Power-Up (hold B to Run, Tongue Lash can also be used when looking up, in-air or crouching)
- A - Tail Whip (can also be used in-air and when crouching)
Just like in the original Gex games, you must find a TV remote to progress which is hidden somewhere in each act (including boss acts), so exploration and visiting different areas and routes is key to completing the game. Neither signposts nor any bosses will spawn without it, except for the Final Zone boss. There’s also yellow remotes that give access to Special Stages, replacing the 50 rings requirement, but you’ll still need the normal stage remote.
In addition to the altered gameplay, there’s also Power-Ups. Eating one of these grants Gex with the following until he gets hit:
- Paw Print - Adds one hit point to Gex’s hit counter (located at the top right corner of the screen, maximum is 6).
- Ladybug - Replenishes Gex’s hit point counter to the maximum amount.
- Firefly (red) - Gives Gex the ability to shoot a fireball from his mouth while tongue lashing. Using this underwater makes Gex blow air bubbles instead, and inhalable ones can only be spawned when tongue lashing to the left.
- Lightning Bug (yellow) - Gives Gex the ability to shoot a wave of 3 lighting bolts from his mouth while tongue lashing.
- Frost Fly (blue) - Gives Gex the ability to shoot an ice ball from his mouth while tongue lashing. If it hits an enemy, they will be frozen for a short period, allowing Gex to use it as a platform until it’s attacked or explodes on its own.
- Centipede - Gives Gex extra speed for a short period of time.
- Caterpillar - Gives Gex Invincibility for a short period of time.
- Butterfly - Gives Gex one extra life.
The manual provided, made by Gecko1993, gives you hints to where the act remotes are, though only if needed. Remote locations start at page 14 in the .pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ib4yozK64NDYcxVXHjZHZSIpcP96yU_m/view
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe)
- Database: No-Intro: Genesis (v. 20180824-045026)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 6DDB7DE1E17E7F6CDB88927BD906352030DAA194
- File/ROM CRC32: F9394E97
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|PacManfan64||Graphics||Gex sprites, Misc. sprites, Credits sprite mapping|
|Gecko1993||Graphics||Original drafts for the title screen animation, Remote sprites, Manual, Credits text|
|Natsumi||Music||AMPS Sound Driver, Bug fixes after sound driver installation|
|MarkeyJester||Hacking||Additional Run frame code, Dual PCM|
User Review Information
I actually like this hack!Reviewed By: Cupcom5/NGKFlower on 05 Jul 2021
I remember play Gex for the first time on the Sega Saturn and to this day, still have Deep cover Gecko on my PSX console. I liked the “Tail Time!” and animation intro here, I can tell a lot was put into it.
The gameplay was pretty cool too! The ability to eat/attack the powerups to use them like Gex’s games was fun; Finding the remotes to clear the stage and progress to the special stage. Since he’s obviously not fast as Sonic the stages were rearranged for him to progress through, it even allows the player to re-backtrack to find the remotes which was an interesting addition to any Sonic hack I’ve ever played!
However, I have two major complaints about the game:
1) Labyrinth Zone Everything was going pretty well until Act 3 when you’re getting close to fight Robotnik. It was really hard to jump on the ledge with the two drill enemies because of his jump being so low, and holding the lick button while jumping was very tedious as it was still kinda hard to reach the ledge while standing on a “BARELY there” ledge to begin with. If he was able to grab the ledges with his tongue, or climb the walls like his games or use his tail as a spring to get higher, those would’ve made situations like that less annoying and easier.
2) No Climb/tail bounce/tongue ledge grab As I mentioned earlier, Labyrinth Zone Act 3 near Robotnik it was hard to reach where the 2 drill enemies because of the very small ledge and it’s pretty hard to actually jump to reach. I’m surprised I managed to pull it off.
He doesn’t need to have all 3 of them, but a wall climb would’ve been great for that part, or a lotta, considering how Scrap Brain Act 1 was. -_-
Other than that, I really enjoyed the game! would’ve been nice to see Rez as Robotnik if it were possible. I totally recommend
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|Good||marchegiano||19 Jul 2021||1.0||Yes|
|I actually like this hack!||Cupcom5/NGKFlower||05 Jul 2021||1.0||Yes|