Mega Man at the Tokyo Olympics
Hack of Mega Man 3
Mega Man at the Tokyo Olympics
Hack of Mega Man 3
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||22 August 2021|
|Last Modified||22 August 2021|
Play as Mega Man or Roll Chan & explore the 8 regions of Japan in this new time travel Mega Man adventure. New weapons, new bosses, custom graphics & new stage layouts. In the Mega Man Universe comparing with real life events, the Tokyo Olympics is held in the year 2020 rather than the year 2021 when COVID-19 postpone the Olympic Games.
New in version 1.2 (MEGA UPDATE)
- You can now fight the Yellow Devil at the Chugoku stage.
- Converted ASM work to version 2.3 of Mega Man 3 Improvement including slippery floor in Hokkaido stage.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Mega Man 3 (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20210216-231042)
- File SHA-1: 53197445E137E47A73FD4876B87E288ED0FED5C6
- File CRC32: 452D8089
- ROM SHA-1: 6780B3FCC547C013EE45AFAC6BB30C6FC6D8B46E
- ROM CRC32: 603AAA57
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|kuja killer||Original Work||Mega Man 3 Improvement|
|Zynk Oxhyde||Graphics||Roll Chan sprite design|
User Review Information
This hack could be betterReviewed By: Murphmario on 30 Jun 2021
While the hack itself isn’t terrible, and there are a lot of areas I like, there are a lot of areas that could use improvements.
- The intro graphics should get a redraw to match the new plot, right now it just feels lazy.
- The weapons are a mixed bag. Bowser’s weapon is the best by far, since it’s pretty much Metal Blade with Needle Cannon’s autofire. Meanwhile, SB is the worst, with it having a weird angle and high ammo consumption. Yeah, might be a good idea to balance those out.
- Also some of the weapon icons aren’t changed, might wanna fix that as well.
- I don’t get why most of the robot masters have new sprites and names yet Top Man and Gemini Man are unchanged asides from boss AI
- Shikoku felt empty a lot of the time, and there are some bugs here as well. Some of the swimming penguins still use vanilla sprites instead of the Cheep Cheep replacements, and some of the spikes here are incorrectly set to be solid blocks as well.
- Kanto’s first two screens are pretty bad. They’re nothing but flat ground with enemies. Additionally, the two Pickelman Bull enemies at the start should be removed since the player should have some enemy-free space when starting the level.
- Chugoku’s level design should be changed, using Pharaoh Man’s stage from Mega Man 4 with some minor changes and enemy placements feels lazy. Also not a fan of the boss AI, it’s too fast and too damaging.
- Chubu has the same problem as Chugoku, being a copy of Yamato Man’s stage from Mega Man 6. There are more spike problems here as well. The underwater section has some more spikes that don’t kill you and the slide with the spikes at the end should be changed since you need to be deceptively close to slide under without getting killed.
- Konsai’s stage has more flat screens with only enemies and little else, especially the first screen of the level. And the second outside screen is just a screen layout from vanilla Mega Man 3, really?
- Tohoku is just Napalm Man’s stage edited, and includes a screen directly from Hard Man’s stage. Also the waterfalls shouldn’t be foreground assets, it looks weird when Mega Man walks out of one and they weren’t foreground assets in Mega Man 5. Also the one screen before the boss should probably be changed, and the purple waterfalls should be removed.
- The E-Tank at the start of Hokkaido should really be obtainable with Rush Coil. In my option the jump in the Hammer Joe room should be made possible without utilities as well.
- Not much to say about Kyushu, though the Lost Levels ground tiles are assembled improperly.
- The intermission stage is somewhat neat, but as it’s a copy of Kanto’s level design it’s quite flat as well. Also the Sledge Bro. at the start should be removed and I’m confused as to why the last one in the level uses the standard Hammer Joe graphics.
- I like the concept of Bass replacing Doc Robot, though he should probably teleport away after defeat instead of exploding. Also dunno if you got permission to use them or not, but you should probably credit Nekoronda & Michinaga for the Cirno graphics in Hokkaido Doc (said sprites originally come from Rockman Peercast 2, though I may be wrong on that.)
- Doc Shikoku’s boss doors have broken graphics.
- Doc Kanto’s teleporter spikes are a bit cruel. Dunno if I love or hate it. Also that one looping room really needs a clue, I only found it by luck. And then the vanishing blocks are also taken from Rockman Peercast 2 down to the sound they make. The last section of the level with the fake floors I dislike, and there should be a weapon refill before the boss room in case you run out of DB weapon energy.
- I gave up at Doc Konsai. I dunno what to do at the Rush Jet section with the destroyable walls.
Overall, a good hack, but needs some polish, particularly in the Robot Master stages.
Version 1.1 Recommended - Yes
|Weird, interesting, and frustrating||Sosuko||02 Sep 2021||1.1||No|
|A great Hack overall but quite frustrating on a certain part||Retro Master HD||13 Jul 2021||1.1||Yes|
|MM (3) аt the Tokyo Olympics - the hack has become better!? Not for everyone||diablo666||14 Dec 2021||1.2||No|
|This hack could be better||Murphmario||30 Jun 2021||1.1||Yes|