FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
|Released By||BTB, Synchysi|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||01 January 2020|
|Last Modified||11 January 2020|
What started out with my initial desire to properly case everyone’s names turned into a rather innocent discussion between a co-worker of mine and I about ways to improve/fix the original game, which in turn (somehow) became this.
FF6 - Brave New World is a fairly complete overhaul of Final Fantasy VI, featuring…
- Character-based esper restrictions & new stat boosts that promote greater diversity and allow for customized development.
- Esper leveling system that disassociates esper bonuses from traditional levels.
- New and reworked formulas which rescue everything that isn’t magic or magic evasion from the dump-stat heap.
- Rebalanced equipment, items, spells, and skills that aim to remove dead weight and give players more (and better) choices.
- A complete overhaul of enemies from their stats to their behavior to better challenge veteran players and newcomers alike.
- Tons of bugfixes, as well as remedies to many of the game’s more annoying aspects (such as rage hunting taking a lifetime).
- And much, much more, detailed in the Readme (particularly section 4).
One thing BNW is not is a difficulty mod. While it is harder than vanilla FF6, we wanted to keep it accessible to newcomers while at the same time giving veterans a new experience. Hopefully, we succeeded.
Curious about what other people are saying about BNW? Like the mod and want to let us know? Hate it and want to tell us how much we suck? Completely indifferent and just bored? Feel free to drop by what’s become the official forum for discussing BNW:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy III (USA) - NOINTRO
- CRC32: A27F1C7A
- MD5: E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890
- SHA-1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
- SHA-256: 0F51B4FCA41B7FD509E4B8F9D543151F68EFA5E97B08493E4B2A0C06F5D8D5E2
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Grindfest that requires you to play it as the developers intended.Reviewed By: MysticLord on 09 Jan 2021
- Certain enemies can’t be beaten without specific characters. The racoons outside South Figaro are weak to fire and counter I think all everything with a ~300 HP heal-all for their side. You need to kill them all in one hit, which is only possible when you first visit with Terra casting Fire.
- Sub-optimal parties are punished in certain areas. When fighting Dadaluma in Zozo, he eventually will give himself haste and regen, then jump (healing HP from regen while in the air) and deal a pretty good amount of damage to the party. I couldn’t beat him with Locke, Shadow, Celes, and Edgar all in the high teens and early 20s, he simply healed faster than I could damage him even with Locke and Shadow dual wielding 2x damage vs human weapons, Edgar hitting his poison/dark weakness with Bio Blaster (also needed to kill the minions he summons quickly), and Celes hitting him with slow. I ran out of MP and healing items and had to quit. I’m not grinding up Gau, Sabin, Cyan, and Edgar to level 20 to try again.
- FF6’s vanilla early game bores me to death. I wish we could get to the meat and potatoes (magicite, full party) in like 15 minutes, but that’s how games like Saga Frontier work so I’m spoiled I guess.
- Given how many counters enemies have, battles consist of everyone defending from the back row while Edgar or Sabin use their zero-MP hit-alls to kill all the enemies before they counter my party to death. I could learn each enemy’s weakness, but it’s just not worth the effort.
- It’s designed to make it as annoying as possible to reach the fun part (magicite rebalaning and full party). I already mentioned Dadaluma, but there are these plant enemies that counter all physical attacks with raid, which absorb between 180 and 360 HP. Grinding and putting up with a maximal-tedium hack to reach the fun stuff that he spent a ton of time rebalancing isn’t worth it. I have no idea why they put all that effort into rebalancing Espers, then made it hard for anyone who doesn’t replay FF6 multiple times a year to get into his hack. It’s like they doesn’t want anyone except people who pass their filters to experience their masterpiece.
- It’s no longer “hold A to win”.
- You can actually lose.
- Difficulty is significantly increased. I think I remember reading that the creators claimed someone beat it with a low level challenge, but if that’s their intended demographic they shouldn’t lie to people about it. I’m not going to reset every battle until the RNG gods bless me when there are dozens of other hacks I want to play and I have my own hacks to work on.
- Lots of quality of life changes and bugfixes that make things nice.
- Relics are much more balanced.
- Weapons and armor are reasonably balanced. Don’t sell weapons, armor, or relics - you’ll need them later.
- Consumable items are all very reasonable and all of them are useful.
- Gau is much, much easier to use, and a solid party member.
- While it seems like it’s intended for you to do stuff like max out Shadows evasion, this is ultimately pointless as he’ll just be killed when a plant uses raid, he barely does any damage anyways, and since his damage is spread out across more attacks he gets countered much more often. Getting countered more often to deal the same amount of damage negates his evasion. Someone who hits harder but less often is less vulnerable to counters.
- Locke is useless except for farming humanoid enemies for low level consumable items to save GP buying them.
- Sabin, Cyan, and Edgar are must-haves for all parties. There’s no point in not having them in your party.
- This is a hardtype hack. That’s not my thing so BNW won’t be a priority for me to finish anytime soon, but if it’s yours then go for it.
Version 2.0 Recommended - Yes
|Grindfest that requires you to play it as the developers intended.||MysticLord||09 Jan 2021||2.0||Yes|
|"not a difficulty hack" my left foot||IkeTATARI||09 Jan 2021||2.0||No|
|Misleading presentation of hack||xigix||02 Oct 2020||2.0||No|
|Really loved it until 2.0||Croixraoul1||01 Jul 2020||2.0||No|
|Challenging without being "hardtype", revised without being "different for the sake o||SPennLUE||10 Mar 2020||2.0||Yes|
|A great way to experience FFVI again!||Ok Impala!||27 Jul 2019||1.9.0||Yes|
|Definitely a Difficulty Mod||Phaxuji||12 Jan 2020||2.0||No|
|A fantastic mod, but the difficulty can be offputting||sarysa||23 Apr 2018||1.9.0||Yes|
|A good approach on character diversity||Xardas||08 Mar 2018||1.6.1||Yes|
|Lots of changes including save points||KFCTwister||18 Dec 2017||1.8.6||Yes|
|People who say this isn't a good mod like ultima.||Rotnflesh||16 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|A Definitive FF6 Hack||magictrufflez||01 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|This isn't a difficulty mod? Really?||oubliette||25 Mar 2015||1.6.0||No|