Battle Kart 64
Hack of Mario Kart 64
Battle Kart 64
Hack of Mario Kart 64
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||24 December 2020|
|Last Modified||25 December 2020|
Battle Kart 64 is an exciting new hack by Triclon that greatly expands and adds all sorts of new goodies to Battle Mode in Mario Kart 64. All the code was written in MIPS assembly. It is console compatible (note: requires the Expansion Pak).
New Game Modes!
- An expanded traditional battle mode.
- “Hot Potato” featuring a timer on whoever was hit last and counts down to zero. Whoever is the “hot potato” when the timer reaches zero loses 1 HP.
- “Squish” where you need to hit, lightning shrink, and then run over the shrunken player to score.
New Scoring Modes!
- Stock scoring where you can now set set the number of hit points, instead of just having 3 balloons.
- Timed matches where whoever has the least amount of hits when the timer reaches zero wins. Ties go to sudden death.
- Team matches of 2 vs. 2 or 2 vs. 1 with both point and time scoring.
CPU bots in Battle Mode!
- Now you can play battle mode by yourself.
- A lot of work has gone into making bots that will actually track you down and aim their items at you.
- Best played in Block Fort or Double Deck or on wide open race courses.
All the race courses now will load in Battle Mode!
- All 16 race courses can now be played in Battle Mode.
- Great for Koopa Troopa Beach or Kalamari Desert.
- You can turn items on and off like in Super Smash Bros.
- Hate stars? Just turn them off.
And a whole slew of other options!
- Flat courses!
- Ludicrous speed!
- And more!!
Battle Kart 64 will continue to be under active development so the future will bring even more game modes and features.
See the readme for details on how everything works.
You can check out the source code for Battle Kart 64 here: https://github.com/kfkaplan/battlekart64
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Mario Kart 64 (USA)
- Database: No-Intro: Nintendo 64 (v. 20180814-043336)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 579C48E211AE952530FFC8738709F078D5DD215E
- File/ROM CRC32: 434389C1
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
Very Impressive; Looking Forward to MoreReviewed By: Phaxuji on 26 Dec 2020
When I first noticed this hack, my jaw dropped. Bots in Mario Kart 64? Really? The one thing that kept the battle mode of Mario Kart 64 from being infinitely played by friends and family was the lack of bots. I’m sure that those who have played enough competitive games can appreciate how sometimes such battles can lead to hurt feelings and real-life confrontations. It’s not always fun.
But having a computer for everyone to gang up on is always a crowd-pleaser. Take Perfect Dark (also on the N64) for example. This game heavily encouraged cooperative play, including awards for challenges that were bestowed based on how many players worked together! For a lot of people (myself included), that opened up playing together with others who would have otherwise never bothered to even try. Not everyone wants to best others - sometimes they just want to have a good time without the determination (sub-conscious or otherwise) about who is “better”.
Thus, seeing this hack made me giddy. I tried it almost immediately after I saw it. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much (if it even worked at all). This seemed like a pretty tall order. But having played it, I’ll admit - I’m very impressed.
Sure, it’s rudimentary. The opening screen feels like a debug program or something that developers would use rather than something slick for the playing audience. And the bots are complete buffoons.
But does that really matter? Someone actually put bots in the battle mode in Mario Kart 64! Let that sink in. This is a massive achievement. Think about the time and effort that must have been dedicated to accomplish such a feat. Think about all the other games that would benefit from having bots. It doesn’t matter if the bots are idiots - that’s entirely beside the point. The fact that bots exist at all means the door is now open to improving upon the foundation that has already been laid down.
And the different modes were brilliant! Even if the bots are wholly ignored and unused, the different modes have added a dimension to the battle aspect that breathed new life into an ancient game.
If you’re looking to play with bots and have a challenge, you’ll likely be disappointed. But to me, that’s not what this hack is about. We had fun just watching four bots beat each other up - it was hilarious. And even without the bots, the new modes are terrific and we all had a blast playing them.
I very strongly recommend this hack for those who can look past inferior A.I. and see what this means for Mario Kart 64 going forward. It’s very exciting what has been done here.
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|Very Impressive; Looking Forward to More||Phaxuji||26 Dec 2020||1.0||Yes|
|CPU bots lack intelligence||WireByte||26 Dec 2020||1.0||No|