Kaettekita Mario Bros.
Family Computer Disk System
The Return of the Mario Bros.
|Platform||Family Computer Disk System|
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Game Date||30 November 1988|
|Release Date||21 Aug 2016|
|Last Modified||27 April 2018|
Kaettekita Mario Bros. is an action platformer game for the Family Computer Disk System.
This originally was a small upgrade to the original Mario Bros. Kaettekita Mario Bros. (Also known as Return of the Mario Bros.) was one of the few Famicom Disk System games available exclusively from the Famicom Disk Writer and not sold separately. In Kaettekita Mario Bros., Mario and Luigi gained the ability to change direction slightly in mid-air, and the graphics were tweaked to look more like the arcade version. Taking advantage of its disk format, the game let you register your name and saved the top five high scores.
Kaettekita Mario Bros. appears to have been sponsored by Nagatanien, a Japanese food company. After selecting the number of players, the game displayed one of three short cut-scene advertisements for Nagatanien products, including one for Super Mario Bros. 3 furikake (dried food sprinkled over rice). The first time you lose all your lives in the “Nagatanien World” mode, you play a slot machine for the chance to continue where you left off with all your points; match two Marios or Luigis for one extra life, three Marios or Luigis for two extra lives, or spell out Naga-tani-en for a whopping four extra lives.
Here is a full English translation of Kaettekita Mario Bros. Currently the only issue as of now is when you go to the TOP 5 score screen there is an additional letter next to your name when you check the scoring screen.
- NOTE: This may have issues with some emulators as it has been reported but it does work fine on FCEUX.
- 5/24/2016 UPDATE: Some text issues have been corrected and title screen has been fixed.
ROM / ISO Information:
- Kaettekita Mario Bros. (1988)(Nintendo)(J).FDS
- CRC32: 4F4AAB3D (With Header)
- MD5: BCDA7CE6EDA75424655414AF773ED121
- SHA-1: 2771DDDE6D0178E59DB84DE5ED919C9805D1355E
- SHA-256: FE97644708169A2D57773129A1293BD96D13F5A93C0CC2E016B66E14F0F3BB58
- PATCHED CRC: B9116E9A
- Headerless version of this rom is FFD5744F. Beat throws an error if you patch the headerless version, so add the header below with a hex editor if you can't find it.
- Header: 46 44 53 1A 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
User Review Information
A few suggestions/nitpicks...Reviewed By: JamesMedia on 16 Jun 2019
While I do like and recommend this patch, I’d like to make a few criticisms:
- Make the signs in the ads/intro more stylized like in the original version. Either that, or don’t change them at all. They look very bland with the standard text in their place. Here’s some mockups I’ve made; feel free to use these if you’d like: https://i.imgur.com/L6fIHy0.png
- In the Ochazuke ad/intro, the smaller arrow should have some mention of Nagatanien. Nagatanien should not be included in the larger arrow.
- All other mentions of Nagatanien in the ads/intros are redundant, as the Nagatanien logo is already present on the “boxes”.
- The sign in the Mario 3 ad/intro should have something along the lines of “Mario likes it too!”, as “Try it now!” is nowhere close to the original line. the former phrase also just happens to fit perfectly inside the frame, as demonstrated in my mockup.
- Change the punctuation characters. the thin punctuation clashes with the thick letters. The font “Press Start 2P” has just the right ones for the job.
Thanks, milse (JamesMedia)
Version 0.98 Recommended - Yes
|A few suggestions/nitpicks...||JamesMedia||16 Jun 2019||0.98||Yes|
|Good job, but can be better||szemigi||27 Feb 2018||0.98||Yes|
|A little bland...||Sephirous||28 Oct 2017||0.98||No|
|In-game dialog and menu translation is always a must, but...||Weicxiable||06 Oct 2016||0.98||Yes|