FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
|Released By||BTB, Synchysi|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||31 May 2013|
|Last Modified||15 January 2018|
What started out with my initial desire to properly case everyone’s names turned into a rather innocent discussion between a co-worker of mine and I about ways to improve/fix the original game, which in turn (somehow) became this.
FF6 - Brave New World is a fairly complete overhaul of Final Fantasy VI, featuring…
- Character-based esper restrictions & new stat boosts that promote greater diversity and allow for customized development.
- Esper leveling system that disassociates esper bonuses from traditional levels.
- New and reworked formulas which rescue everything that isn’t magic or magic evasion from the dump-stat heap.
- Rebalanced equipment, items, spells, and skills that aim to remove dead weight and give players more (and better) choices.
- A complete overhaul of enemies from their stats to their behavior to better challenge veteran players and newcomers alike.
- Tons of bugfixes, as well as remedies to many of the game’s more annoying aspects (such as rage hunting taking a lifetime).
- A new script that restores much of what was lost in translation and builds on existing plotlines and characterization.
- And much, much more, detailed in the Readme (particularly section 4).
One thing BNW is not is a difficulty mod. While it is harder than vanilla FF6, we wanted to keep it accessible to newcomers while at the same time giving veterans a new experience. Hopefully, we succeeded.
Curious about what other people are saying about BNW? Like the mod and want to let us know? Hate it and want to tell us how much we suck? Completely indifferent and just bored? Feel free to drop by what’s become the official forum for discussing BNW:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy III (USA) - NOINTRO
- CRC32: A27F1C7A
- MD5: E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890
- SHA-1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
- SHA-256: 0F51B4FCA41B7FD509E4B8F9D543151F68EFA5E97B08493E4B2A0C06F5D8D5E2
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
A good approach on character diversityReviewed By: Xardas on 08 Mar 2018
This hack does a very good job at preventing the characters becoming spambots or over-powered jack-of-all-trades. With everyone being able to learn any spell and getting the Magic stat boosted to the maxin the original game, Brave New World prevents this by limiting the equip-able espers every character can equip. Therefore, every character excels at something which not every other character can do well. This is done without giving you just one option for every character - you can build some of them differently. This will also make you think twice how to build the 2 / 3 groups when entering Phoenix Cave / Kefka’s Tower.
The first part of the game can be a little difficult if not well prepared, but fortunately, Brave New World does not punish the player for gaining levels before getting the espers. The new mechanic of “Esper Level Ups” gives you enough time to consider when to boost which stat. Talking about levels - the level cap is now 50, rather than 99, which is very welcome for players who don’t want to easily stroll through the last dungeon and bosses.
The equipment and balance of the commands have also been improved. In the original game, the Attck/Fight command was almost never a good option for some characters - Edgar, Sabin, Cyan (although only 1 tech for him) were able to spam evade-ignoring, defense-piercing, strong attacks from the back row - without MP cost. This has been tweaked by nerfing and/or replacing many of the techniques. Also, some relics which were virtually never used (Gauntlet, Sniper Eye…) were either dealt with by boosting them, or by implementing the effects into other equipment (like certain weapon categories). A good approach, as I don’t know anyone liking throwaway equipment.
Two of the most hated characters in gameplay (Cyan and Umaro) gained needed boosts. Cyan’s Bushido bar now charges at a reasonable pace while Umaro became strong enough to justify him being uncontrollable. Strago’s Lore, however, was still not stellar, mainly due to high MP cost. However, there has been something done about that in newer versions.
I recommend this hack to anyone who wants to play FF6 while having a new, fresh experience on the battles. It also contains many bugfixes and a nice reward (if you want to play the hack again sometime) after beating the game. But FF6 newbies should better play the original game before trying this hack.
Version 1.6.1 Recommended - Yes
|A fantastic mod, but the difficulty can be offputting||sarysa||23 Apr 2018||1.9.0||Yes|
|A good approach on character diversity||Xardas||08 Mar 2018||1.6.1||Yes|
|Lots of changes including save points||KFCTwister||18 Dec 2017||1.8.6||Yes|
|People who say this isn't a good mod like ultima.||Rotnflesh||16 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|A Definitive FF6 Hack||magictrufflez||01 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|This isn't a difficulty mod? Really?||oubliette||25 Mar 2015||1.6.0||No|