Super Metroid: GBA Style!
Hack of Super Metroid
Super Metroid: GBA Style!
Hack of Super Metroid
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||22 November 2016|
|Last Modified||25 November 2016|
Super Metroid: GBA Style! is a hack of Super Metroid which main goal was to be able to combine the Project Base and Control Freak hacks into a single, fully functional hack. Additionally, this hack aims to make the gameplay experience of Super Metroid as closely as possible to that to Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion in both controls and physics.
The original base hacks for this project were:
- Project Base - 7.2 (Nintendit 1.57), using the Super Metroid (JU) [!] [h] .ips patch for making the patch changes Gameplay-only related:
From those two, almost all of the changes have been carried over from their respective base projects:
- Missile doors now require only 1 missile shot to be opened like in Zero Mission / Fusion, instead of the original 5 from Super Metroid.
From Control Freak:
- Run is now toggleable between Run and Walk.
- Moonwalk has been deleted, and the setting is now used to toggle Auto Run.
- Aim Up is now the only aim button, ‘Aimlock’. Holding it will make Samus aim at a certain angle, and aim higher or lower if you tap up or down.
- Samus also has the ability to run and aim straight up at the same time now by using Aim-Lock + Up, you can go back to diagonal aiming by pressing Down while still holding Aim-Lock.
- Select Item is still used to select missiles, super missiles or the grapple beam. It no longer selects X-ray nor Power Bombs; X-Ray now has its own button and Power Bomb is highlighted automatically when in Morph Ball and pressing Brandish. Beams can still be used at any time, even when missiles and super missiles are selected.
- Item cancel has also been removed, as it now activates the x-ray scope.
- Aim Down has become Brandish, which, when held, will toggle between Beams and the item currently selected. This is somewhat… abusable.
- Powerbomb attacks are also now easy to control, just tap Brandish when you want to trigger them while in Morph Ball.
- Spinjump controls have also been improved a bit - Walljumping should be a bit easier on a d-pad, and Samus will fire in the direction you’re pressing instead of just forward, if you press fire.
- The controls are configurable to ANY combination. Aim is not limited to L and R.
From Project Base:
- General movement is less inhibited, with many new tricks made possible
- Heavier physics to closely resemble that of the GBA games
- Faster elevators, doors, room transitions and item-collection sequences
- Bug fixes and polish applied whenever possible
- RESPIN – press jump at any time during a normal fall to resume spinning
- BOMB SKIP – hold down to avoid bomb jumping
- QUICK MORPH – hold X-Ray + press down to instantly morph while in air.
- DEMORPH JUMP – until Spring Ball is equipped, holding run allows spin-jumping straight out of ball form
- SPEED BALL – with Spring Ball equipped, Samus gains the ability to run at full speed as a ball
- SPIN FALL – hold jump as you fall from a ledge to flip automatically
- Beam travelling and firing speeds adjusted, auto-fire speed increased
- Charge beam draws energy and ammo drops from enemies toward you, also charges slightly faster
- Speed Booster has become a major power-up with several huge limitations removed
- Horizontal shinesparks can be exited into a full-speed run when Samus touches a slope
- Space Jump no longer stops working after you’ve fallen too far
- Missiles and super missiles can be fired faster
- Super missiles can be fired straight down while in the air to propel Samus upward
- X-Ray Scope speed increased
- Bomb timer shortened
- Underwater wall jumping and bomb jumping enabled
- Running speed no longer resets after jumping or falling
Additionally, sylandro made new ASM code:
- New HUD changes: Missiles selected will be highlighted in GREEN. If you press Select, Super Missiles will be in GREEN while normal missiles will appear in grey. Pressing Select again will highlight the Grapple Beam in GREEN. Only when the Brandish button is pressed, the selected item will change its icon to YELLOW.
The same applies for Power Bombs, they will always be highlighted in green, and only when Brandish is selected they will be YELLOW.
- New Run code: sylandro made a new Run ASM code to make the Running of Samus much more similar to that of Zero Mission and Fusion. If you have Auto-Run enabled, Samus will now wait some time until she starts gaining up speed into Boost, similar to the following entries on the franchise.
This new code is available in the Super Metroid - GBA Style (New Run).ips patch, while the other one will have the original Speed Boost and Run gameplay of the original Super Metroid.
ROM / ISO Information:
- CRC32: d63ed5f8
- MD5: 21f3e98df4780ee1c667b84e57d88675
- SHA-1: da957f0d63d14cb441d215462904c4fa8519c613
- SHA-256: 12b77c4bc9c1832cee8881244659065ee1d84c70c3d29e6eaf92e6798cc2ca72
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|PHOSPHOTiDYL||Hacking||PB+CF Initial ASM code and Transition tables|
|sylandro||Hacking||ASM fixes, new HUD and new Run code|
|ShadowOne333||Script Editing/Revision||Main tester|
|begrimed||Original Hacking||Project Base: Original hack|
|Kejardon||Original Hacking||Control Freak: Original hack|
|Scyzer||Original Hacking||Map Item Circles hack|
|dex909||Original Hacking||Project Base's Nintedit fork|
User Review Information
Metroid: The Fall of ZebesReviewed By: ShockwaveS08 on 08 Mar 2017
I’ve been keeping tabs on this ROM hack on Metroid Construction, and I’m very much looking forward to further enhancements in subsequent releases.
The ZM-style autorun does take some getting used to, but it frees up one of the face buttons when mapped to SELECT for more important functions.
The heavier physics feel just right, not too floaty, not too restricting.
The new subweapon selection and brandishing system makes the overall gameplay feel fast and fluid, just like ZM/Fusion.
Overall, I highly recommend this hack for those who prefer vanilla SM and want to bring the somewhat-clunky controls to modern standards.
Clear Time - 02:38 Item Collection Rate - 88%
Version 1.0 Recommended - Yes
|Fun, but unbalanced||Peepus||04 Feb 2018||1.0||Yes|
|Great with Exceptions||Chicken Knife||07 Jan 2018||1.0||Yes|
|Definitive Version||VioletFox||07 Dec 2017||1.0||Yes|
|Interesting but not fun.||lexluthermiester||29 Mar 2017||1.0||No|
|Metroid: The Fall of Zebes||ShockwaveS08||08 Mar 2017||1.0||Yes|
|Great, but not for beginners||lastdual||29 Jan 2017||1.0||Yes|
|Perfect for a Super Metroid speedrun!||thepatrickinator||26 Nov 2016||1.0||Yes|
|Super Metroid: Definitive Edition||vivify93||26 Nov 2016||1.0||Yes|