Final Fantasy IV
|Released By||J2e Translations|
|Patching Information||Header (SNES)|
|Game Date||19 July 1991|
|Release Date||03 July 2001|
|Last Modified||16 January 2018|
Final Fantasy IV is a role playing game for the Super Nintendo.
This is an English translation the original Japanese version of Final Fantasy IV for the SNES.
This translation is very impressive, especially with the 3.21 update that fixes lots of bugs and makes the translation near-perfect. Of course it’s received tremendous criticism due to Trainspotter’s script revisions; apparently some people demand an untouched Japanese game to play in English.
ROM / ISO Information:
- No-Intro Name: Final Fantasy IV (Japan) (Rev 1)
- (No-Intro version 20130701-030720)
- File MD5 2EA432C7E25DBA5375F22CC6547B2C42
- File SHA-1 3C896B9D8CCFB3433810139EE18467AA435AC2E2
- File CRC32 48449269
- ROM MD5 A2959AD8C1FF5F2719264AB4C7E40464
- ROM SHA-1 EAC14578B3465FFCE874119005F9B244E8565A79
- ROM CRC32 CAA15E97
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|AnusP||Hacking||Text replacement, script formatting, font designer, assembly programming|
|Blasted2||Hacking||Text replacement, web maintainer|
|necrosaro||Hacking||Text replacement, script formatting/insertions, tool and assembly programmer|
|Dark Force||Hacking||Assembly programming|
|P-Funk||Hacking||Assembly programming, text replacement|
|Trainspotter||Script Editing/Revision||Script revision, translation|
User Review Information
How To Ruin FF4 in Just One Simple StepReviewed By: Cavery210 on 05 Apr 2016
This translation looks good at first, with great hacking and extending Monster and Spell names, but the script is terrible. Let me tell you of its flaws
- Badly ageing pop culture references (Palom says “I think William Shatner is more convincing than you.” when he tells Cecil that Beigan is a monster, there are also references to Austin Powers, the Backstreet Boys and Pulp Fiction that weren’t there in the Japanese version. This screams out “early 2000s”.)
- Swearing is used way too often. (Yang calls Cain a son of a bitch. The Japanese text is more like “Why you…”, Cain says to Cecil “So you really are worried about your little whore?”, and more.)
- Some names and concepts are completely wrong. (Golbeza is called Golbeze, Corio is called Corillo, the Fire, Blizzard and Thunder spells are still called Fire, Ice and Bolt, and magnatism is repeatedly called gravity in the Magnetic Cave.)
- Sometimes, the translation is way too loose, with flowered up scripts and insults that weren’t there, and other times it feels like a lazy retread of the SNES FF2 version.
So just skip this one and go check out Project II, Namingway Edition, or FF4: J2Evisceration.
I have nothing against J2E. Their other translations like Violinist of Hamelin, Nadia and Super Puyo Puyo 2 are pretty good. I just wish they didn’t screw this one up.
Version 3.21 Recommended - No
|Too reliant on pop culture to be good||Ribb||25 Feb 2019||3.21||No|
|Gave me what I wanted||POWCo-op||24 Feb 2019||3.21||Yes|
|Play Namingway Edition or Project II instead||Bahamut ZERO||08 Oct 2016||3.21||No|
|Unfortunaltely, J2e Translations was a bit naive this time.||thepatrickinator||02 Oct 2016||3.21||No|
|How To Ruin FF4 in Just One Simple Step||Cavery210||05 Apr 2016||3.21||No|
|Thanks to Legends of Localisations, the truth behind this retranslation is proven||Bregalad||06 Dec 2014||3.21||No|