FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
FF6 - Brave New World
Hack of Final Fantasy III
|Released By||BTB, Synchysi|
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Hack Release Date||31 May 2013|
|Last Modified||15 January 2018|
What started out with my initial desire to properly case everyone’s names turned into a rather innocent discussion between a co-worker of mine and I about ways to improve/fix the original game, which in turn (somehow) became this.
FF6 - Brave New World is a fairly complete overhaul of Final Fantasy VI, featuring…
- Character-based esper restrictions & new stat boosts that promote greater diversity and allow for customized development.
- Esper leveling system that disassociates esper bonuses from traditional levels.
- New and reworked formulas which rescue everything that isn’t magic or magic evasion from the dump-stat heap.
- Rebalanced equipment, items, spells, and skills that aim to remove dead weight and give players more (and better) choices.
- A complete overhaul of enemies from their stats to their behavior to better challenge veteran players and newcomers alike.
- Tons of bugfixes, as well as remedies to many of the game’s more annoying aspects (such as rage hunting taking a lifetime).
- A new script that restores much of what was lost in translation and builds on existing plotlines and characterization.
- And much, much more, detailed in the Readme (particularly section 4).
One thing BNW is not is a difficulty mod. While it is harder than vanilla FF6, we wanted to keep it accessible to newcomers while at the same time giving veterans a new experience. Hopefully, we succeeded.
Curious about what other people are saying about BNW? Like the mod and want to let us know? Hate it and want to tell us how much we suck? Completely indifferent and just bored? Feel free to drop by what’s become the official forum for discussing BNW:
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy III (USA) - NOINTRO
- CRC32: A27F1C7A
- MD5: E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890
- SHA-1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
- SHA-256: 0F51B4FCA41B7FD509E4B8F9D543151F68EFA5E97B08493E4B2A0C06F5D8D5E2
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
User Review Information
A Definitive FF6 HackReviewed By: magictrufflez on 01 May 2015
I want to say up front that this is probably my favorite hack of any game ever. Let me explain why.
While this is not meant to be a difficulty hack, this is only because the stats of many of the monsters have not been radically altered from the original. What HAS been altered substantially is their behavior in battle, as well as most of the items, equipment, and game systems within the game. As someone who has bought/played/beaten FF6 many many times over the last 20 years, I can confirm the changes made have all been for the better (with one slight exception).
This is because of the meticulous detail that the creators of this hack went into to balance almost everything about the gameplay. Every character is limited in almost a class-like manner to what espers/spells/equipment they can use, which gives each character a pretty unique role in battle, unlike the original and many other difficulty hacks where everyone becomes ultima-chain casters by endgame.
Literally everything has been changed in some way, even the script. As a massive fan of the old FF6 script, I was skeptical at first, but many of the changes made (at least in the “clean” version) were well done and did nothing to negatively affect the overall plot. I personally found the references and jokes extremely well done, and there’s a lot of homage in it to other RPG’s, tastefully done.
All in all, this is the most complete hack of a game I’ve ever played, and the most enjoyable. The difficulty has been balanced at almost every possible point, and the very best parts of the original game are still very intact. Yes, some parts may be more difficult than the original, but that’s only because of this hack’s emphasis on using all your options rather than just bulldozing through.
I cannot recommend this hack enough, to new and older players of FF6 alike–an amazing take on an old classic.
Version 1.6.1 Recommended - Yes
|A great way to experience FFVI again!||Ok Impala!||27 Jul 2019||1.9.0||Yes|
|Definitely a Difficulty Mod||Phaxuji||15 May 2019||1.9.0||No|
|A fantastic mod, but the difficulty can be offputting||sarysa||23 Apr 2018||1.9.0||Yes|
|A good approach on character diversity||Xardas||08 Mar 2018||1.6.1||Yes|
|Lots of changes including save points||KFCTwister||18 Dec 2017||1.8.6||Yes|
|People who say this isn't a good mod like ultima.||Rotnflesh||16 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|A Definitive FF6 Hack||magictrufflez||01 May 2015||1.6.1||Yes|
|This isn't a difficulty mod? Really?||oubliette||25 Mar 2015||1.6.0||No|