GFF (Grond's Final Fantasy)
Hack of Final Fantasy
GFF (Grond's Final Fantasy)
Hack of Final Fantasy
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Hack Release Date||07 September 2013|
|Last Modified||09 September 2013|
About This Hack:
The purpose of this hack is to take an already great game and greatly improve on it by enhancing it with special features, ironing out wrinkles in the gameplay (poor balance, annoying quirks, and game-breaking bugs); and to a somewhat lesser extent, to put the author’s own personal spin on the game.
Notable Changes From FF1:
- Many bugfix and enhancement patches made by other ROMhackers applied
- New, animated title added at game startup
- Menu color can be changed–press B at the title repeatedly to cycle through the available colors
- Names of most things expanded and altered
- Saving is now done from the main menu instead of via inns, tents, & such
- You can now sort your magic spells and delete unwanted ones
- In-game world map slightly improved; now accessed by pressing Select+Start instead of B+Select
- B-Button dash available at all times, even on the airship
- Water & such things are animated now, and some areas have palette-cycling effects
- Default (pre-bought/equipped) equipment & spells added at new game
- Censored graphics from the Japanese version restored
- Boss battles have their own songs now, instead of the normal battle music
- Dual-wield ability given to Ninja and Monk/High Monk
- Random battle rate is slightly decreased if a Rogue or Ninja is the party leader
- A few new stat-boosting consumable items added
- Most damaging-dealing spells should usually hit in the greater half of their damage range now
- Elemental magic does 2x (instead of 1.5x) damage against vulnerable enemies (3x if at level 50)
- Some spells switched around; some had effects and/or effectivity altered
- Properties of some weapons and armor altered; some were changed into entirely different things
- Shop inventories modified a bit; prices of many things lowered a little
- Sanctuary (formerly Clinic) can now heal petrification and poison, in addition to death
- Magic Evasion of most foes lowered to a more reasonable amount
- Enemy groups’ “ambush” values now roughly scale with the point in the game in which they are met
- Several area maps altered a bit (mostly cosmetically) and quite a few treasures changed
- A few walk-through-able secret walls added here and there
- Some towns have a hidden treasure to find
- Two hidden bonus areas added: one accessed from the first town (but only late in the game) and one from the last town, south of the hidden magic shops
- Ship puzzle game now gives 500 Gold (50000 if at level 50)
- All party members always gain experience after battle, even if dead or petrified
- In determining preemptives/ambushes, all party members’ Agility and Luck are considered (rather than only the leader’s); if a Rogue or Ninja is the leader, a minor bonus is given at this time
- Oasis remains after rescuing the Fairy (sells the stat-boosting items)
- Harm (Dia) spells now injure enemies in the “Evil” category as well as the Undead
- You can “shoo” most bats away by talking at them
- Level gains occur more rapidly, especially towards the beginning
- New Game Plus mode added–beat the game to restart with your stats, equipment, spells, and gold intact, but events, treasures, levels, job class, and items reset
- Game altered to run on iNES Mapper 4 instead of 1
- Plenty of other minor changes & one or two surprises
ROM / ISO Information:
- Final Fantasy (U) [!].nes (GoodNES)
- Length: 262,160 bytes (256 KB)
- CRC32: CEBD2A31
- MD5: 24ae5edf8375162f91a6846d3202e3d6
- SHA1: C9CFBF5455085E198DCE039298B083CD6FC88BCE
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|Anomie||Hacking||Disassembly, & tons of bugfixes and enhancements|
|AstralEsper||Hacking||Helped with several things|
|Disch||Hacking||FFHackster, disassembly, & water animation hack|
|Goongyae||Hacking||Extended character names & etcetera|
|Grond||Original Hacking||Patch author|
|Karatorian||Hacking||"Kung Fu" bugfix, & a handy ROM map|
|Lenophis||Hacking||DTE in-battle patch|
|Leviathan Mist||Music||Ported the new songs from Origins/DoS|
|Paulygon||Hacking||Made FFHacksterPlus & useful Game Genie codes|
User Review Information
An excellent hackReviewed By: pianophile on 31 Jul 2012
This hack stay faithful to the original game for the most part. But there are so enhances, fixes, and little enhancements that truly make it feel different and refreshing. For the most part it has inculcated many of the modern conveniences that later games in the series employ.
The classes remain the same but are rebalanced. The Ninja becomes quite a good attacker later on due to his ability to dual wield. The Red Wizard’s weaknesses do become apparent by end game but he remains very usable all throughout. The White Wizard becomes quite a useful character for the end game since Dia spells affect evil creatures like Chaos himself. The black mage (and red mage) do make early game play easier due to the fact that 1st level spells are now hit alls. The Paladin still has accessibility to numerous types of of armor that render him almost invincible to physical attacks.
Spells have been tweaked. Most of the unused spells have been dropped and you can conveniently select spells that you want due to the sort and drop feature.
The game itself has become more fluid as promised. The early level grind seems to vanished in my experience (so long as you don’t run from the battles). The difficulty curve is just right as end game dungeons and bosses do scale accordingly. The Final Boss is still a bugger to beat due to the potential use of CUR4 although I haven’t tried using Monks at any time.
You can now use Phoenix Down as a regular item thus decreasing the need to utilize Rise and Arise as spells. Useless treasure has now been replaced by more useful stat boosting items. Items are no longer as redundant so there is some practicality in buying items from shops.
One of the best features for me personally is the fact that a dead or stoned party member still gains experience regardless of his state. All of these features might seem to to make the game easier overall but the difficulty scales appropriately. These features merely make the game more convenient and accessible.
The two new dungeons are a nice feature and at the very least you can listen to more of the new selection of music that has been put in game.
I was amazed at the hack in the way that it made dungeons really feel alive. Gurgu Volcano really brightens up and settles. Waters have movement, and stars twinkle in the sky. These environments have even been incorporated into the final dungeon.
Aside from these, there are really nice triggers in game that you don’t normally expect from the standard nes emulation. The Elven Prince really wakes up and vampires can transform among other things.
Overall, this is a great excellent and enjoyable hack. Thanks to the author and contributors for all their hard work.
Recommended - Yes
|An excellent hack||pianophile||31 Jul 2012||N/A||Yes|
|Bloated hack, changes too many things, but didn't fix what was wrong in the 1st place||Bregalad||24 Apr 2014||N/A||No|