Mystic Quest Reborn
Hack of Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Mystic Quest Reborn
Hack of Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
|Hack Release Date||15 June 2012|
|Last Modified||31 August 2012|
As many of you know Final Fantasy Mystic Quest gets a bad rap from people that either it is too easy or it is for children. Well of course both of those are wrong. The game wasn’t super easy like some people claim, but it wasn’t at all difficult either. And come on it isn’t for children, it has a good story and keeps you entertained throughout the entire game. I’ve made the game more challenging as well as added some additional stuff to spice it up a bit.
- Imported some new music from Final Fantasy V and Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana).
- Overhauled the entire game’s treasure contents and changed some locations of some of them as well.
- Brown treasure chests that give consumable items now have a quantity of 4x instead of 3x.
- Brown treasure chests that give consumable weapons give 8x instead of 10x.
- “Super” chests at the end of the game give 10x items instead of 25x.
- Semi-overhauled the characters to better balance from being a useless tool to being useful. No longer does Benjamin feel like he’s the spare until he gets the Holy or Flare Magic. Now Benjamin is the powerhouse and the support allies are exactly that–a support ally.
- Altered some of your allies’ starting magic to provide more challenge. Phoebe no longer has the Holy spell at the end of the game.
- Altered the White magic spells to not be able to be casted on monsters to prevent abuse. With exception of Exit, but with Exit you get no EXP from that monster you warp away with Exit. This means you can no longer cast Cure on the Dark King to kill him quickly!
- Tweaked most of the equipment in the game to have various levels of usability.
- Monsters have been overhauled, every monster has been changed and beefed up.
- Monster attacks have been beefed up, especially later in the game.
- The Battlefields have all had their contents changed and each Battlefield has it’s own # to defeat to earn the reward.
- Some minor graphic tweaks have been made–and I mean minor!
Note: There was a bug fixed so if you’ve downloaded this already you need to re-download it and apply the patch over your existing ROM.
ROM / ISO Information:
No information available.
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|JCE3000GT||Original Hacking||Overall coder and design|
|Jigglysaint||Hacking||Contributed some valuable data|
|Zeemis||Graphics||Did the graphic and palette edits|
User Review Information
This ROM hack needs a lot of work.Reviewed By: Waddler-D on 04 Jul 2012
This ROM hack, Mystic Quest Reborn v2.0 is easily one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever played. I can understand some degree of difficulty and I certainly would enjoy a harder version of this game. However, there are multiple things I’d like to point out before you consider playing for yourself. Unfortunately, 90% of these things are negative.
- Enemies take WAY too long to kill for how dangerous they are. The game pretty much forces to grind to insane levels to basically live in the next dungeon. Eventually, normal battles will become luck-based struggles of you hoping for more criticals and less misses.
- Enemies are harder than the bosses on all accounts. This is very disappointing, where the enemies are doing more damage and almost taking longer than the bosses to defeat.
- Every enemy counterattacks in this ROM hack, even the Behemoth at the beginning of the game. I would have been fine with plain counterattacks. But then I get poison-touched by the Slime every attack I do on it. Then I get confu-touched by the Basilisk. You know how annoying it is to be confused half of the fight just because you attacked one enemy? VERY!
- Bombs are worthless in this hack, and any status effect not on Claws, Ninja Stars, and Bows of Grace are pointless too. I feel that the makers of the hack did not test to see how things worked out, otherwise I’d be glad to have bombs blind all the enemies if it worked.
- Enemies do not give ANY amount of GP, only battlefields and bosses. This is frustrating to a huge degree when you’re trying to grind down battlefields to 0 when you have to walk all the way back to Foresta just to sleep for free. That’s not fun.
- Benjamin, the hero, is not how he is advertised. For the first half of the game, Benjamin is a piece of crap, unless he is level-grinded to death, which I’m sure the creators have this intent. However, initially and for quite a while, Benjamin reminds of a sturdy one from the original. Can’t hit with squat (if he doesn’t miss, 66% accuracy is not fun) and his magic isn’t exactly better for quite some time.
These are things I disliked greatly about this hack. The things I did like are the fact that Benjamin’s armor is a lot cooler-looking and some of the themes that were inserted from FFV and SoM show great effort in implementing. While some of the songs don’t fit perfectly well, they were remembered quickly and appreciated.
My suggestions for the creators on future versions:
- + BALANCE YOUR BATTLES! If it takes two criticals to kill an enemy, it has too much HP! If it takes a spell weakness and two attacks to kill an enemy, it has too much HP! I’d expect to see more of the difficulty for the bosses, not every enemy battle.
- + Please consider testing out your hack before releasing a new version, it puts in the player’s shoes for starters and it allows you to find any issues that can be addressed. I definitely was not happy to see how worthless some of the potentially helpful status effects were on the weapons.
- + Please give SOME GP with enemy battles. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but any is better than none, because having to go back to Foresta to get healed fully was one of the most repetitive things I’ve done in my life.
I know I’ve said a ton on this, but I had THIS much beef with it and I don’t want to go against the hard work that these guys put into it.
Recommended - No
|A Mystic Quest Finally Worth Playing||Klaviaturist||22 Jun 2012||Yes|
|This ROM hack needs a lot of work.||Waddler-D||04 Jul 2012||No|
|I Finally Defeated Dark King!||WireByte||09 Jan 2013||Yes|