Newest Translations

Hugo 2 1/2 Kim Possible 3 Team Possible Dragon Quest I+II Pokémon Picross

Newest Reviews

Dragon Quest I+II Narc Uncut Castlevania: Dawn of Dissonance - A Juste Story Mode Hack TMNT2 - Turtle Swap

Featured Hack Images

Fire Emblem: Shining Armor Sonic: The One Ring MDbtroid Super Metroid - Snow Crash

Featured Translation Images

Liberation Army Wagyan Land Super Robot Taisen R Daikaijuu Monogatari

Recent Updates

  • Translations
    I had DUPLICATED the normal patch inside the EXTRA folder by mistake, instead putting there the additional patch. With this update that is fixed. Now the normal patch and the optional patch inside EXTRA folder are different; the second does really replace the enemy names by the Spanish names used in modern translations of Dragon Quest series. It has been an human mistake.
  • Hacks
    Added note to patch it with a unmodified version of NBA Jam T.E. Updated Screenshots.
  • Hacks
    wrong ROM version
  • Credits
    Graphic modder names now included

Overkill 32,000

Hack of Final Fantasy III

Description:

This hack enables 5-digit, 10,000+ damage/healing. It’s capped at 32000 because the total is stored in a 16-bit, signed integer, creating a possible range of -32768 to 32767. I rounded it off to (-)32000 for aesthetic reasons.

Click to view demo video (YouTube)

This is an updated bugfix and improvement of the previously-titled hack “Displayable 32766 damage/healing”. It includes headered & unheadered patches for the Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0 & V1.1) [!] ROM.

It squeezes 5 digits into 4 tiles, hence the custom font (the original font would have created digit overlap in this case). It’s done this way because there is not enough room in the VRAM or OAM for a 5th tile. The tiles are stored in 4bpp, and the digits are squeezed into 4 tiles. This makes the process of assembly-coding somewhat tricky.

I had to revise the custom assembly code twice because it wasn’t efficient enough, causing interrupts (NMI) and invisible digits. Furthermore, spells that hit multiple targets (e.g. Quake, WWind, Merton) use different routines for simultaneous display and trigger the interrupt bug more frequently. First, I tried a WAI (wait for interrupt) instruction, which only worked in Snes9x, not ZSNES. I finally managed to fix the issue in both emulators by disabling non-maskable interrupts entirely (STZ $4200). If you experience graphical glitches or invisible digits during simultaneous digit display, it’s most likely an interrupt problem. As far as I can tell, this has been fixed.

Special thanks

  • Imzogelmo (feedback and beta testing)
  • assassin17 (damage truncation offsets)
  • Terii Senshi (compressed digits offset)
  • Novalia Spirit (found bugs in draining spells, recovery items, and battle submenus)
  • v1.5 UPDATE (08/20/11): fixed horizontal alignment for 1 to 4 digit display

    ROM / ISO Information:

    • Final Fantasy III (USA).sfc - NOINTRO
    • CRC32: A27F1C7A
    • MD5: E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890
    • SHA-1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
    • SHA-256: 0F51B4FCA41B7FD509E4B8F9D543151F68EFA5E97B08493E4B2A0C06F5D8D5E2

    Links:

    Screenshots:


    Credits:

    Credits
    ContributorType of contributionListed credit
    giangurgoloHacking

    User Review Information

    No User Reviews!