Hack of Seiken Densetsu 3
Hack of Seiken Densetsu 3
|Patching Information||No-Header (SNES)|
|Genre||Role Playing > Action RPG|
|Hack Release Date||24 June 2020|
|Last Modified||26 June 2020|
Seiken Densetsu 3 – Class Balance
v1.6, by hmsong
For the most part, the original game’s class system was rather poorly balanced. Usually, one class outclassed the other three (ex: Hawk’s Nightblade), while for others, one class was completely underwhelming (ex: Lise’s Dragon Master). Sometimes, both. The purpose of these patches are to balance things out, so that all classes are good in their own rights.
While plenty of bugs exist in the original game, there are some major bugs that made the game balancing different than it would have been:
- Accuracy and Evasion doesn’t work. That means things like Speed Up/Down, Duran’s shields, and probably numerous other things have no effect one way or another. However, Agility still affects the power of the throw items and numerous skills.
- Critical hits don’t exist in the game, which makes Luck stat and Energy Ball completely useless. And according to praetarius5018, critical hits broke the game, since it usually ended up making the enemies far too powerful.
If someone releases a patch that fixes that major bug, then hmsong will release another patch that balances out the game in those contexts.
There are two patches that balance the classes – Stats and Skills. They are intended to be used together, but they do not depend on each other (some people may prefer one without the other). See the attached document for more detail.
Obviously, some classes will still be better than the others, but hopefully, the gaps between those classes are significantly less than the original game.
- This is specifically for No Header ROM. If you only have a Headered ROM, then you can use TUSH (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/608/) to remove the header.
- Compatible with the English NCorlett-translation patch. But again, you need a Unheadered ROM. If you are using the translation patch from Romhacking.net, then you need to apply the translation to a Headered ROM first, then use TUSH to remove the header. And then you can apply these patches.
- Compatible with the new Trials of Mana ROM, released in 2019. But again, you need a Unheadered ROM.
There are other hacks for Seiken Densetsu 3 that you should check out:
Sin of Mana
- This changes the contents of the game in many ways, such as equipment bonus, level-up change, class balance, difficulty, boss behaviors, running in battles, MP regeneration, dungeon format, and tons of bug fixes. It’s a completely new game though, since so much has changed, and the game progress is slightly different.
- There is also a forum (google “Sin of Mana forum”), where you can ask the creator (praetarius5018) numerous questions. He is very helpful, and even helps you to create your own hack. He certainly did for me.
- Sin of Mana is NOT compatible with the new Trials of Mana.
- Sin of Mana is NOT compatible with hmsong’s patches.
Please leave comments or reviews on the balance patches. This would give the creator ideas on what is good or not, and depending on the situation, even revise the patches.
If you have any questions or find errors, please PM hmsong on Romhacking.net (click the name, then click the name next to “Forum Account”, then click “Send PM”).
ROM / ISO Information:
- Database match: Seiken Densetsu 3 (Japan)
- Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
- File/ROM SHA-1: 209C55FD2A8D7963905E3048B7D40094D6BEA965
- File/ROM CRC32: 863ED0B8
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|