Hack of Castlevania
Hack of Castlevania
|Patching Information||No Special Requirements|
|Genre||Action > Platformer|
|Hack Release Date||12 November 2017|
|Last Modified||14 November 2017|
This patch intends to offer the definitive version of Castlevania for the NES for its 30-year anniversary.
ATTENTION: It must be used exclusively with the standard american ROM: Castlevania (U) (PRG0) [!].nes
THE GRAPHICS: it aims to stay as close as possible to the original concepts, but with a better presentation. Lots of graphical upgrades and clean-ups were made, including enemy, item and boss sprites. A lot of backgrounds were also touched up to make the castle looks nice, dark and architecturally consistent.
THE SKINS: The patches offer 3 possible skins for Simon Belmont for you to choose. Check out the Skins Guide file included in this folder to see the options.
THE GAMEPLAY: everything was a little rebalanced. Overall, the idea is to make the difficulty progression a little more gradual, and to make the gameplay even more strategic and thoughtful than it already was.
- You start with zero hearts, so you keep the short whip for a little longer, and you should really learn to survive with it.
- Big Hearts now are worth 3 units, and they’re more rare, so you’ll have to really use you Subweapons toughtfully.
- Candle placement was completely changed. There are much less of them (and their position is now more coherent, no more weird floating candelabras).
- Subweapons were replaced to really help you. With a few exceptions, you’ll always find the perfect weapon for each situation… somewhere.
- All enemy attacks deal 1 less point of damage than normal. This makes the last 3 Blocks a little more forgiving. You’ll notice that the bosses now put up some fun fights, instead of butchering you instantly.
- For that same reason, the Wall Meat now heals you completely, so it’s like a whole new chance of surviving a Stage.
CRAZY MODE: The same as above, but all enemy attacks deal 3 more points of damage than in the original game. Meat also heals only half of the energy bar.
EXTRA STUFF: I’ve designed a digital new version of the original american instruction manual. It’s included in this folder.
Huge thanks to Dan for his tool Stake.
YYCHR helped a lot too, thanks to whoever created it.
Hope you like it!
ROM / ISO Information:
- File: Castlevania (U) (PRG0) [!].nes
- Size: 131,088
- CRC32: 39C879BB
- MD5: 00D93C9F 6B8AEFB8 B6C02B20 147DF4EC
- SHA1: A31B8BD5 B370A910 3343C866 F3C2B299 8E889341