logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78524293 visitors

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda: Link's Awakening Restoration  (Read 24937 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda: Link's Awakening Restoration
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »

Update By: Artemis251

This was a quick little project but is somewhat notable for big Zelda fans: A patch was recently finished restoring Zelda: Link's Awakening (and its DX version) that put the content originally cut by Nintendo's localization team back into the game. It restores three main parts of the game:

• Changes the Necklace back into the Mermaid's swimsuit top (and changes the dialogue to a closer translation of the Japanese version)
  • Changes the Hippo sprites in Animal Village
  • Fixes the 'Tale Key' typo

As an extra bonus, a cave taken out of the game received a normal entrance: check around Kanalet Castle and see what's inside!

RHDN Page

Relevant Link: (http://artemis251.fobby.net/zelda/index.php)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:22:25 am by Nightcrawler »

Thundercross

• View Profile
Re: Documents: Zelda: Link's Awakening Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:54:17 am »
I might be doing it wrong, but the patch seems to completely break the Tail Cave, and even cause it's exits to lead to places that will trap players who don't have Roc's Feather or the Bracelet.

Artemis251

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 12:36:56 pm »
Wait, what? I'll have to fix that. D:

I wonder if I somehow created a bad patch from a previously messed around with ROM...? Well, in any case, the non-DX patch works. I'll have the fix up soon, I hope.

Incidentally, is there a way to get rid of newsposts once they're posted? I don't want people to download erroneous patches. :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:45:39 pm by Artemis251 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:04:11 pm »
Gee, I always thought the racy bits were unique to the German version.  It never occurred to me that they would have originated in the Japanese ROM.

While you're at it, why not fix the "fillip" spelling mistake?

(Also, why is this in "Documents" ?)
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Artemis251

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »
Well, I fixed it, so hopefully now everything runs smoothly. I remember downloading a fresh ROM, but I apparently somehow mixed 'em up before modding them.

Jorpho: Thanks, I forgot about that one since it was fixed in the DX version. It's now up too, pending the update's acceptance. :)

Also, apologies Thundercross: I think you'll have to get a new version of the ROM. Make sure it's DX version 1.1, though, as it and version 1.0 are actually very different in terms of some coding!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:20:45 pm »
This is a hack, right? Not a document? RHDNBot off his meds? ^_~

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »
Gee, I always thought the racy bits were unique to the German version.
I think sexist is the more appropriate term. Doesn't sound all that out of line for a Japanese game. :)

Hasn't the Zelda series had several kinda suggestive parts (I know I've mentoned Jabu-jabu's tentacles in OoT (and of course the OoT/MM great fairies), but I also recall the original Zelda game had a few enemies whose Japanese names were vaguely suggestive. Testitart (Manhandlas)?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »
I think sexist is the more appropriate term.
How is it sexist? :huh:

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:23:50 am »
This is a hack, right? Not a document? RHDNBot off his meds? ^_~

~DS

This happens all the time. I'm not sure what's worse. The fact that so many people submit news and don't bother selecting a category or that staff never seems to check it either before approving. :o
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Artemis251

• View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda: Link's Awakening Restoration
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:45 pm »
Gyah, sorry, I'll admit I was a little rushed when I was writing it; apologies for that.

Man, I am just off the ball lately.  :-[

borderLine

• If we are all here, then we must not be all there.
    • View Profile
    • The Tenchi Muyo Translation Completion Project
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:49:26 am »
Ok; Is it appropriate for my 10-year-old nephew?  He's a huge Zelda fan.
while ($repeat) {
    Wash(Shampoo());
    Rinse(Water());
}

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 02:59:30 am »
Gee, I always thought the racy bits were unique to the German version.  It never occurred to me that they would have originated in the Japanese ROM.
What racy bits in the German version???

More importantly: Thank You Artemis251! I always wanted to replay Link's Awakening. So many years passed since I last played this.

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 07:21:42 pm »
The mermaid & hippo bits weren't removed.

Artemis251

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 12:31:02 am »
Ok; Is it appropriate for my 10-year-old nephew?  He's a huge Zelda fan.

You can view the Hippo parts at the bottom of this page:

http://artemis251.fobby.net/zelda/unused.php

As far as the mermaid goes, you never see anything except her swimsuit top (also on the page linked above) and the worst you get is that "Kyaa! Pervert!" message when you dive near her. If anything, the patch is rated PG-13 for suggestive content.

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 03:18:21 am »
The mermaid & hippo bits weren't removed.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Racy? Sexist? Appropriate for a ten year-old? PG-13?

I was eleven when I played this game (the German version). Back then I found nothing “particular” about it and today my opinion has not changed. I have sometimes heard that “America” is generally considered much more prude than “Europe”, but this?
I guess the American – European dichotomy is true: America: horror-movies uncut, make it as bloody as possible but no nudity or even allusion to it (except IN horror-movies) vs. Europe: cut out all the splatter and gore but “Yes, these are two breast, what about them? Most people know them since they were born.”.
Funny.

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10:32 am »
You can view the Hippo parts at the bottom of this page:

http://artemis251.fobby.net/zelda/unused.php
Seems like they added something, too:

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 01:55:46 am »
Gee, I always thought the racy bits were unique to the German version.
I think sexist is the more appropriate term. Doesn't sound all that out of line for a Japanese game. :)

Hasn't the Zelda series had several kinda suggestive parts (I know I've mentoned Jabu-jabu's tentacles in OoT (and of course the OoT/MM great fairies), but I also recall the original Zelda game had a few enemies whose Japanese names were vaguely suggestive. Testitart (Manhandlas)?
I think sexist is the more appropriate term.
How is it sexist? :huh:

Racy? Sexist? Appropriate for a ten year-old? PG-13?

I think I can explain the confusion, I think King Mike misunderstood racy to mean racist, but the term racy actually means sexually suggestive.

so the game is neither Racist or Sexist, it's Sexually Suggestive. I don't like censorship any more than the next guy but it makes sense why NOA would take it out at that time in history due to their target demographic, -- young kids.

If the parents saw or heard about that stuff in their kids game they would have through a fit, had it returned, no more zelda for you, etc.

As odd as it may seem to people outside America, nudity is very tied to sexuality in American culture. Every culture is different, Americans are generally ok with bikinis but some cultures don't allow even that kind of exposure. Some tribal cultures are ok with topless women but God forbid they ever show any leg above the knee.

That said Zelda has always been a little rougher around the edges with more serious themes, hinting at romance, more graphic violence, et cetera, than say, a mario game, although at least in American culture I think they have both been viewed as "little kid's games"

maybe in Japan Zelda is more of a older kids to teens game.

Seems like they added something, too

well wait? were those in the original japanese? not just the german? so in that sense the breasts weren't added, they were part of the original developed game, so they were actually removed for the North American release, as was the towel, so nothing was added, quite the opposite.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:49:00 am by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 06:48:22 pm »
were those in the original japanese? not just the german? so in that sense the breasts weren't added, they were part of the original developed game, so they were actually removed for the North American release, as was the towel, so nothing was added, quite the opposite.
Artemis251's pic shows the NoA version in the top half and the "original version" in the bottom half, right? So they would have added 'em.

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 06:54:42 pm »
Artemis251's pic shows the NoA version in the top half and the "original version" in the bottom half, right? So they would have added 'em.

But the text states otherwise. It says it "yet oddly immediately sits every time Link enters the house. [...] [S]he was meant to be a nude model". So I guess he just switches the order of the two.

cYa,

Tauwasser

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 05:27:10 am »
But the text states otherwise. It says it "yet oddly immediately sits every time Link enters the house. [...] [S]he was meant to be a nude model". So I guess he just switches the order of the two.
*is confused*

I don't see how that quote disagrees with what I said. :huh: