News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Chrono Trigger Retranslation Patch Released  (Read 36911 times)

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
Re: Translations: Chrono Trigger Retranslation Patch Released
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 12:59:12 am »
This is exactly why I work on games nobody cares about. I never have to have any of these debates about my projects, or deal with these viscous circle conversations.

I'll drink to that.  Here's to obscure projects.  :)
(Although I'd like to try my hand at BOF 1, but that'll probably never happen.)

But I don't think I'll ever see anyone complain about something Gideon does. =P

Actually, I was going to complain about Dark Law's translation, but I didn't want to be a buzzkill.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2007, 01:11:00 am »
But I don't think I'll ever see anyone complain about something Gideon does. =P

Actually, I was going to complain about Dark Law's translation, but I didn't want to be a buzzkill.

How so, if I may ask?

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2007, 01:24:39 am »
See PM
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 11:41:39 am »
This is exactly why I work on games nobody cares about. I never have to have any of these debates about my projects, or deal with these viscous circle conversations.

I'm sure someone'll do it someday. Hell, Ryusui might do it when BOF2 is done. XD

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

pierrot

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2007, 04:31:17 am »

You work on Chrono Trigger, you full well know what you're getting into good and bad. And when tampering with Chrono Trigger, there will ALWAYS be the bad, it's just the nature of the beast. ;)

I don't think anyone to date has created a retranslated that everybody likes. You know going into it some people aren't going to like it.

What's the point of this post then? Well, being that the author knows this and the responding public knows this, let's save all the trouble and time by not bothering to make useless conversation. The author has an intended goal and target audience and isn't going to be bothered by the NON target audience voicing their opinion. He isn't going to change it and you won't be included in the target audience. Move on to something else. ;)

Well, for starters that'd be vicious. Viscous would better describe the way this translation reads. Or the annoying, MAME-like "logic" behind the "intended goal".

Secondly, you're pretty much into the dipshit phase of moderation with that whole "This is why i work on..." crap. You've already decided that any complaints against this translation are borne purely out of fanboyism. Which, by the way, is a great mode of logic for the moderator of a conversation to be in. It's because of this that i figured i may as well post this here, since with that mindset it's a short ride to just squashing anything negative at all while the poor widdwe besieged incompetents continue under the mistaken belief that their motivation for this retranslation is at all consistent with the results. You're not keeping anything stable, you're just getting in the way and causing an issue that's integral to the scene to be bottled up. Of course, chances are that this'll just fly right over your head and you'll take it as a personal attack since hey, you can, but whatever. That part really isn't my problem.

Third is the retranslation itself. Know what? I don't give a shit if someone else thinks CT didn't need one. Frog's deal alone is enough to warrant one. My gripe is that all this nonsense about a literal translation having merit is some hardcore Aspie bullshit. The purest fact is that the very notion is blown by the very first concession one must make due to the differences in languages. You really want to get into it, then let's talk about having the grammatical structure of the English match what it would be in Japanese.

Exactly. Are we seeing the flaw in this "it's supposed to be literal so we can see the game as the Japanese would have!" argument? I mean, it wouldn't make sense to have the English like that, but then again it's no less dogmatic than any of the other clunkers in this translated script.

It's nothing more than a way to excuse the incompetence of the people doing the translation. It's unfinished. Period. It's a beta script that someone decided to release as a final after they somehow managed to warp their logic enough for it to seem kosher. And you know what else? I am irritated about it. Not because i feel the re-translation is pointless, but because the people who did it were simply not up to the job and it's either deal with their clumsiness or wait for it to be done by someone who actually gives a shit. Someone who isn't going to sit on the fucking fence about the quality of their output.

That's the pissoff. You halfass something, explain it away with logic that's both self-serving and inconsistent, and then say that well, if you don't like it, you're just not the target audience. Fuck you. It's like saying "Well, sure it's not very good. But if you remove everything that made it not very good, it's really very good".

Just the same, thanks for the brilliant revelation that i'm not the target audience. Please spare me this dance and grow the balls to admit that your target audience is primarily the average illiterate internet retard who isn't going to notice how cumbersome your translation is. Because the rest of us kinda maybe sorta might notice it eventually given the sheer amount of time you spend reading and absorbing the text while playing a fucking RPG.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 04:49:23 am »
As I wrote earlier, I'm all for judging every (re)translation effort critically. The reason we don't want it on this one is that is has been chewed through a thousand times already while this was in the making. It's an old story. And it always ends in disrespectful shit such as your post. Yes, if people would voice their opinion without Fuck you, all the "pissoffs" and the other nice stuff you brought up, then the discussion would be worthwhile. In that form however, you just proved why we were against discussing this particular translation anyway.

Ignoring the topic at hand, you post breaks a load of rules.

You are disrespectful, you ignore and even insult a moderator and you don't have anything constructive to say. In short, you don't qualify for this message board. Good bye and be never seen again.

/banned.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Topo Gigio

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 05:10:26 pm »
Actually, all you did was prove why i bothered to do that in a one-shot. Your response basically boils down to "you didn't express your opinion the way i wanted you to", and my natural attitude toward that is "eat shit". Like i said, you took it as an insult pretty much because you could, and that's still not my problem. The discussion is still worthwhile, and if you want to gloss over 600 words on the account of 2, then you deserve a "fuck you" all of your own.

You can find any excuse to ignore it, and you pretty much have. But the bottom line is that i spent a bit of time looking for another topic to post it in, and none were present in which the quality was being heavily discussed. I figured if i dig one up, i get screwed for thread necromancy; if i start a new one, i get screwed there too. You can thank the general "i'm tired of hearing this, let's have a tea party" attitude for that. If you want to move that post to one of the supposedly pre-existing conversations, be my guest.

And as far as the tone goes, i find it expresses perfectly how utterly insulted i am at the ridiculous rationale behind the overall quality of the translation. This goes beyond the usual issue of "Well, i did my best. If you don't like it, don't use it". This turns the act of translation into "Well, i mangled it on purpose. Yeah, totally meant to do that. If you don't like it, you're just not the target audience". If that kind of attitude doesn't deserve some expressed ire, i don't know what does.

Daniel

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2007, 05:12:04 pm »
Good lord, can't you take a hint? If your natural attitude towards anything is "eat shit", this isn't the place for you...

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2007, 05:43:11 pm »
How DARE those people spend THEIR time on something THEY want to do without considering how YOU will feel about it! Those bastards! ::) ::)

On another note, I've taken the liberty of banning your new account. Don't do it again. You're going to be perma-banned as it is anyway.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2007, 01:36:22 pm »
Regardless of how you feel about literal translation, if you don't like it, don't use it. It is as simple as that. Even I don't like the nature of such translations, but there will always be a small minority that wants it to be literal. The best suggestion that has been made in this instance is to learn the language as it removes all misunderstanding that a literal translation will lose in the process. It is a waste of time to argue for or against such a translation. You will have to agree to disagree on this point.

As I said earlier, if you don't like it, don't use it. If the people want to do their own retranslation, so be it. If you don't like theirs, do one yourself or shut up.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

Dais

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2007, 03:06:21 am »
Good lord, can't you take a hint? If your natural attitude towards anything is "eat shit", this isn't the place for you...

I am going to print this out, frame it, and hang it on a wall.

And none of you will ever know why.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8794.0.html
Rule number 7: Don't post private messages ever, even from zero-post members who send you images of mutilated genitalia or from mods who warn you that you will be banned
NOTE: Violation of invisible rule 7 can warrant a ban

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2007, 03:52:51 am »

I'm sure someone'll do it someday. Hell, Ryusui might do it when BOF2 is done. XD

~DS

Eien Ni Hen & Ryusui team up for a BoF1 retrans @_@
Could do with a new menu though =\

Now I'll finaly be on topic.

:woot!:Yay :crazy:woopee. Now if I want to I can play 2 different versions of CT, I can't remember anything from my first playthrough, except the L+R+X thing, so maybe this will leave a lasting impression?

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2007, 09:38:08 pm »
Well, I did do some work (like a year ago, got busy with school and stopped) on expanding item menus in BoF1.
Some work left on shop menus, some flickering when scrolling in the battle menu.

(the limit is 48 items, expanded to 63? later in the game. Originally 16 lines x 3 items, here it's 24 x 2).

"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Dais

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »
if I were you, Zeality and any other CC guys, I'd put up big, red, flashing text at the top of every relevant page that read:

THIS RETRANSLATION PATCH IS NOT MEANT TO IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE OF PLAYING CHRONO TRIGGER. IT IS TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO EXPERIENCE THE MOST LITERAL TRANSLATION OF THE DIALOGUE IN ORDER TO BETTER FACILITATE DISCUSSION. IDIOTS.

then again, I'm the kind of person who half suspects that you enjoy the topics full of inane arguments this has created across the internet.
Rule number 7: Don't post private messages ever, even from zero-post members who send you images of mutilated genitalia or from mods who warn you that you will be banned

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2007, 12:14:33 pm »
Several people have already written KWhazit and me in thanks for giving them another reason to play Chrono Trigger, and others have lauded the new experience. Gasp, some people actually enjoy it!

Dais

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2007, 06:07:47 pm »
How does that relate to my advice?

Zeality

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2007, 10:45:35 pm »
This is not related to your post, but I did add a disclaimer to the site page based on complaints elsewhere. It's NOT directed to anyone here (well, maybe the guy who got banned):

For the whiners: We apologize for not translating your favorite Japan-only game, Densetsu no Haineko LXI. In the future, KWhazit will be more mindful of your nerdy complaints and choose an obscure game to satisfy your refined tastes in J-RPGs. Also, we will no longer present our work as a "hobby" by fans and for fans, but instead we will present ourselves as crusaders against Nintendo's sacrilegious inaccuracy and censorship. In line with this paradigm shift, KWhazit will begin demanding monthly Paypal contributions to continue, and will make irregular posts complaining about real life. To make a splash, we will announce no less than 10 new fan translations at at time, with release dates (if you're lucky) of no less than ten years out. Only then will we be a true fan translation unit and cater to your expectations and tastes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:55:32 pm by Zeality »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2007, 08:53:10 am »
That's just plain flame bait..

Locked.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations