News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: AGTP Announces... a lot.  (Read 17827 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: AGTP Announces... a lot.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2006, 05:44:09 pm »
Sparxster, I think, announced it years ago, but I'm guessing this is unrelated.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 07:09:03 pm »
  • Actraiser: script dumping phase

Retranslation? It's a favorite of mine, I was working on a level hack years ago, didn't get past Filmore Act 1 though.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 07:50:50 pm »
what's ironic about it? you make it sound like we're an organized collective. gideon does his own thing, which in this case it working on a game several others have refused to look at. what's ironic about that?

perhaps slightly rebelious, but "ironic"? not really.

the irony is it's one of the most hated games in the translation/romhacking community(I guess that's the best way to put it) being worked on by one fo the most liked guys in the translation/romhackign community.

Of course, I could be wrogn here.

i also notice that nobody is saying anythign alogn the liens of "Wow, this is completely useless, why are you doing it?" Those words tend to follow anybody announcing they're working on the game...

Well.. wouldn't saying that be just as useless as the uselessness said person thinks doing the project would be?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. That's the general rule of thumb.  ;) I'm sure plenty of people have plenty of things to say, however they are respectful or nice enough not to.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 08:13:21 pm »
I don't think that the community (excepting Neil) "hates" Tactics Ogre per se, it's just that everyone's so sick of hearing people bitch and moan and complain that it's not in English.

Well, bully.

dormento

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 09:49:30 pm »
The rationale is that this particular game (Tactigs Ogre) was released in english in the PSX, in a version which is nearly identical as it's SFC counterpart.
Seeing as my computer sucks so much that emulation of "newer" systems (everything past 16bit era) is choppy and painfull,
I, for one, am going to shut up and be glad.

AGTP, you seriously rock.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:51:40 pm by dormento »

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 12:12:00 am »
Ohhh my....All those hidden projects you kept telling me about....I had no idea there were this many though! I'm speechless... :-X

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 08:18:23 am »
what's ironic about it? you make it sound like we're an organized collective. gideon does his own thing, which in this case it working on a game several others have refused to look at. what's ironic about that?

the irony is it's one of the most hated games in the translation/romhacking community(I guess that's the best way to put it) being worked on by one fo the most liked guys in the translation/romhackign community.

i also notice that nobody is saying anythign alogn the liens of "Wow, this is completely useless, why are you doing it?" Those words tend to follow anybody announcing they're working on the game...

Well.. wouldn't saying that be just as useless as the uselessness said person thinks doing the project would be?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. That's the general rule of thumb.  ;) I'm sure plenty of people have plenty of things to say, however they are respectful or nice enough not to.

i guess I was misunderstood. I wasn't insulting Gideon by any means. Hell, I'm glad it's being done simply because the PS1 version is out of print, and is hard to find outside of e-bay(AFAIK). I was just noting the irony of the strange match, and asking why nobodies said anything discouraging about it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Arkard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 09:28:45 am »

I don't think he was being negative at all. The point was that, for years all the rom kiddies & translation scene lurkers have been asking "when is Tactics Ogre going to get translated?" and they've gotten replies like "You idiot, it's in English on the PSX. It's never going to get translated!".

What Gideon is doing now is actually a pretty damn good idea; At least people can't bring up the point about "wasting time" on a game that's already translated (yeah, I know we shouldn't be talking about wasting time when it's the hackers / translator's own decision). ANYWAY, just wanted to say something since I think I got I.S.T's point.

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 11:36:41 am »
You know now that i think about it.  Most people are going to play tactics ogre for the first few missions then probably go play something else.
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 11:41:55 am »

It's usually just the new people who get flamed for suggesting it. when lord tech and dark force were talking about it, no one really said a thing.

everyone seems to get annoyed by people who request the translation, because there's a fair amount of work that goes into one, even if it is just moving text from the psx version to the snes version. the project is still more than a copy and paste weekend job. there's a lot of asm work that needs to go into cleaning it up, the menus (particularly the intro ones where you pick your 'skills' needs a fair amount of work if memory serves).. it's a fairly complex task, and requestors tend to make it sound like it's nothing.

and then there are the newbies who think that it is just a matter of copy and paste and start a project only to figure out that it's fairly complex.. and then they ask for help and everyone balks because most of the people who can do it view it as a pointless excersize.

so in short, why would anyone here complain about gideon doing it? he's got the skills, and he knows what he's doing. it doesn't involve any of us in the slightest.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 12:29:49 pm »
It doesn't really matter to me. Some games I prefer snes versions. I have not played tactics ogre for psx and will play it when gideon gets done. The more games the get translated the better. I do agree that games that have already been localized on another system should not be as high priority but I'm sure Gideon understands this as well. I'm even happy with the retranslations that have been done. For example, rpgone's FF6. I was looking for a translation more true to the japanese style of the game. I think it's an incredible job. That's my 2 cents worth.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 01:03:08 pm »
You prefer SkyRender translations? Ugh..
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 01:53:37 pm »

Fuck, what the HELL. How can anyone like ...

*shuts up*
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Arkard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 02:40:05 pm »
You should ban yourselves for trying to go offtopic with THAT particular topic ;D

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 02:47:40 pm »
Yeah I have heard all these arguments before but it doesn't really matter to me.  >:D

Djungelurban

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 04:33:07 pm »
W...O...W...! *gulp* That's one massive update! So many pretties.
Especially major "yay!" points for Mystic Ark. I don't know why but I've always had this weird fascination with that game ever since I saw the first screenshots of it back in 1995. I mean, I don't even like 7th Saga all that much yet still...
Not sure what was the problem with the initial Actraiser translation (despite being a bit sparce) but if Gideon Zhi says it should be retranslated, then I'll be eagerly anticipating it.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 06:52:49 pm »

I'm awaiting the new version for the menu hacking...

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 05:05:37 am »
Well, this certainly made the cat explode out of the bag, didn't it?

Looking forward to all your translations Gideon, I loved Hiouden and Shiren the Wanderer, and I know everything you release is of highest quality. :)

(Especially Tactics Ogre and Dark Law, which you took off Haeleth's hands)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 10:09:13 am »
W...O...W...! *gulp* That's one massive update! So many pretties.
Especially major "yay!" points for Mystic Ark. I don't know why but I've always had this weird fascination with that game ever since I saw the first screenshots of it back in 1995. I mean, I don't even like 7th Saga all that much yet still...
Not sure what was the problem with the initial Actraiser translation (despite being a bit sparce) but if Gideon Zhi says it should be retranslated, then I'll be eagerly anticipating it.

I wish Magic Destiny weren't a bunch of quitters. They brought a bunch of projects to the almost complete status and then just quit.

Let me tell you, if I invest hundreds of hours hacking a game, there is NO turning back unless I'm incapacitated. I'm not going to let so many of my precious life hours go to waste and be in vein. I'm surprised other people can just let all that time go like that.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 10:10:20 am »
You should ban yourselves for trying to go offtopic with THAT particular topic ;D

haha Nice. You're right.