News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FFVI ADVANCE European Color Restoration Patch  (Read 17211 times)

SC

• View Profile
FFVI ADVANCE European Color Restoration Patch
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:01:44 am »
Sephiroth Crescent (SC) presents: FINAL FANTASY VI ADVANCE European Color Restoration Patch.

As this game was ported to the GBA, there was a big color brightening and quality loss.
  This patch has been made to restore it to its original SNES color quality.

My "theory" is that when SE was porting the game to the GBA they used a GBA SP to
  test their work, and they thought colors were too dark on that screen.
  However, if you play it on a GBA Micro or NDS/NDS Lite, you'll see how it really is.
  That or they were just lazy when converting graphics/colours (bad automation).

Current features in this patch:

·Maps
  ·Battle backgrounds
  ·Town sprites

Planned features:

·Monsters
  ·Miscellaneous stuff

Current version ( 0.8 ) preview image:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9906/previewfq.png

Other planned patches for FFVI Advance:
  ·7 letter names
  ·Sound restoration/enhancement
  ·Bugfixing
  ·Spanish text fixing/re-translation

And the link for the patch:

http://www.filefront.com/14555517/ff6a_color_eur.zip

PS: Could someone submit it to RH?
I could not find the proper file hosting site... ¬¬U

hbk007

• View Profile
Re: FFVI ADVANCE European Color Restoration Patch
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »
Alright, i'm currently working on restoring Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's island. Let me know if you need help with this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:56:59 pm by hbk007 »

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:01:55 pm »
This game doesn't need a color restoration; it needs a color enhancement. Both sets of screenshots are "bleh" looking. One's overly bright and faded bleh, one's overly dark bleh. (I actually prefer bright and faded, seeing the two next to each other...)

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:44:15 pm »
(I actually prefer bright and faded, seeing the two next to each other...)

Me too, although the 2nd area seems to look nicer in its darker counterpart.

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:45:27 pm »
(I actually prefer bright and faded, seeing the two next to each other...)
Thirded. :V
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 02:58:27 am »
I'm sorry to bump this, but I actually liked his work personally judging from the pics. Does anyone have a link to the patch? The one in the top post gives an error and cannot find the file. :( Thanks in advance if anyone helps.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:02:02 am »
Yeah, I like the alterations better than the original. They're a bit too dark, but that's about it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:12:44 am »
The washed out palettes are garbage. Restoring the palettes to the SNES version is a great idea.
The SNES palettes are just fine, they don't need any enhancement, IMO.
I look forward to the completed project.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:42:42 am by Vanya »

Ericsc

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 12:48:16 pm »
Sorry for bumping this old thread. I'd really like to try this patch, but the download link doesn't work anymore. :(

If anybody downloaded this when it was originally posted. Could someone re-upload it somewhere?

RaMDaY

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 02:13:34 am »
Does anyone know where to download this patch and other ones like it for other Game Boy Advance games? I have the one for Super Mario World and its awesome.

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »
By looking at the screenshots, it sure look more like on the SNES. I definitely see how bad it is on GBA version, it looked fine on the GBA SP but on the DS, PSP and on the computer, you can see how different it is from the SNES version. It only look more dark because of the contrast with the same screenshot with higher brightness.

I would def give it a try if download link wasn't broken.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
Hello everyone! I don't mean to necropost, but there's no way to ask this without doing it: does anyone have this patch? As it's been stated before, the download link has been dead for quite some time now.

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody stepped forward and re-uploaded it.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:38:21 am »
I was hoping someone else would necrobump this thread one day so I wouldn't have to  :thumbsup:

I'm also interested in getting a copy of this patch, but as noted, the link is dead. After playing through the game again recently to make my own patch changing other things in the GBA version, I was able to get used to the super-bright colors, but it'd still be nice to have this as an option. While I got used to it, it's actually pretty jarring when you go straight from the SNES version to the GBA version and see the brightness difference.

As a last resort, you might try IMing or emailing the creator, since it doesn't seem he's active on this site anymore. I was thinking about getting around to doing that one day.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:13:44 pm »
Emailing the author doesn't look like an option--he doesn't have an address listed in his information from what I can see.

EDIT: nevermind I am a moron  :D

EDIT2: nope, didn't work. apparently he closed his email address or it was deleted.

EDIT3: Actually, how hard would it be to re-create this? I've seen others do entire palette hacks like this before. I think I might just take this on myself. This, paired with the new sound restoration hack and the Woolsey-Slattery compromise patch, we might just have the closest thing to a portable SNES FFVI. :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:39:05 pm by vivify93 »

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:46 pm »
Well, I know it would be beyond me, since I don't know the offsets of the palettes in FF6A (E). I haven't seen any documents regarding where they'd be located either. The closest thing to a rom map for the Advance version I've seen is at http://drakkhen.jalchavware.com/?FF6A/DL.html. However, it doesn't mention where the palettes are and it's not for the European version either (once one finds something in the US/JP versions, it's not hard to locate them in the European version though). I got the table files for the European version from http://novaliaspirit.99k.org/ff6/docs.html. However, obviously, the tables wouldn't help in locating palettes. Those who run those sites may have more information about FF6A than they have up on the sites, so they might know the palette locations.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
Yeah, I just tried some palette hacking to disastrous results. I think I'll just stick to the SNES version since I'm an English language native... Besides, there's a lot more cool hacks done for the SNES version, like the battle speed improvement patch and the Sword Tech hack.

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »
Well, at this point I'd have to concur that if one wants hacks that change the base game, the SNES version has got more available since all the information on it has allowed for a lot of extensive and interesting stuff. The Advance version hacks are mostly to spruce up the main game or make it more like the SNES version in areas where the Advance version was deficient, since a lot of the advantages of the Advance version are already present (some bug fixes, added dungeon, SS, longer namespaces, some lines clearer, bestiary, music player, extra espers, etc.)