News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Editor - Sword I  (Read 22296 times)

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda Editor - Sword I
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:11 pm »
Trax, is there a MAC emulator you would recommend for windows users?  I know all of your editors are MAC based but I'm sure with a proper MAC emulator Windows users could make use of your editors.  I've been looking into it recently and there are several out there apparently.  There's a few pay for emulators but really a basic free emulator would be the best option for most, I'll keep looking but thought you might know of one off hand (maybe you have been asked this before)?.

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »
OpenEMU is absolutely incredible (multi-system, too!), though it copies your ROMs into ~/Library/Application Support/OpenEmu/Game Library. If you want to hack a ROM and occasionally open it to playtest your changes, you'd either have to edit the file in that exact path, or delete old, unedited versions of the ROM from the game library and re-import every time.

EDIT: Oooooh, I misunderstood and thought he wanted to know what a good NES emulator for Mac was. Whoops! *headdesk*
Personally, I use Boot Camp to dual boot OS X and Windows 8.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:11:40 am by vince94 »

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 03:21:02 am »
Since I'm in the middle of re working sprites for my Final Fantasy Reconstructed project, I would definitely recommend the Tile Layer Pro Fixed version. That's what I've been working with for the majority of my sprites, and it does have a preview window where you can drag individual tiles, put them in groupings, and edit them together more or less. For my project, the FFHackster utility has been very helpful too because you can see the changes after you save them in TLP. One additional thing I have done that has been useful, is to open a game in TLP and just copy and paste in blank spaces (Right click will allow you to copy multiple tiles). Once you've cleared out a whole Rom worth of clean data, you have a place to edit your own sprites (just make sure to save the empty Rom as another name since you've pretty much made this one unplayable). This is useful because you can open the original game's data, copy the tiles that you want to edit over to the blank, and then edit in the preview window. If you do it this way, you won't run the risk of corrupting your useable sprites in the original game, and if you don't like the edits, just don't save the data. Wow, that post got much longer than I expected. I hope this helps some aspiring graphic modifiers  :P
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 11:10:15 am »
I think some people here may have posted in the wrong thread...

As for your question, Grimlock, I'm afraid I can't help a lot on that subject. Objective-C is a layer put on top of standard C that makes it object-based, hence the name. You may want to look at GNUStep, since it's the closest cross-platform thing you can get that can implement the Cocoa framework. Cocoa was based on it...

To make a very loose analogy, Objective-C is to Cocoa what C# is to .NET. Most programming languages can be used on multiple platforms, but the framework is what makes the big difference. Then, there's also Cocotron. While it doesn't anwser your question directly, since it's still something that you need a Mac to run, it could make it easier to port my code to Windows, using XCode. Maybe. If there's a chance it won't take too much time to learn and lets me compile a Windows port for my apps, then why not?