News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dracula X retranslation complete  (Read 39839 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Dracula X retranslation complete
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:23:26 am »

Update By: Gemini

It's been over two years since we'd announced this retranslation of the glorious Symphony of the Night, but now it's finally complete and ready to be played by all fans on this game who weren't really satisfied with either the original or the PSP "retranslation". Of course, if you're still too attached to the original, you should probably ignore this.

The patch features:
  • a complete translation;
  • multiple code hacks (8×8 and 8×12 vwf and other fixes for expanding available space on screen and in memory);
  • several graphical changes, including compressed graphics.

Welcome to 1797. The demonic castle of Dracula is waiting for you once again.

Staff Note: You can also find this archived here at RHDN.

Relevant Link: (http://gemini.aerdan.org)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Dracula X retranslation complete
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:19:36 pm »
Congrats! I shoulda kept up with the thread, didn't know you were that far along.

Believe me though, there's enough people that are attached to the original. It's the only fault they generally find with the PSP translation.

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:43:12 pm »
I didn't think there was enough text in either version to really warrant a third translation, frankly.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:53:06 pm »
Well, one of the main points that Gemini made is that the PSP version really isn't a true retranslation. They didn't actually go back and retranslate the script, all they did was edit the one they had from the PSX translation. Also, they didn't do anything with any of the other text in the game (menus, items, enemies, etc). Gemini's patch is a true retranslation, and retranslates everything from scratch, including rewriting the intro scrolling text (which even in the Japanese version, was written in English) to sound better, make more sense in English, and use the Japanese nomenclature ("Demon Castle" instead of "Castlevania").

It's very much worth playing.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »
including rewriting the intro scrolling text (which even in the Japanese version, was written in English) to sound better, make more sense in English,

i disagree. (at the risk of sounding like a total dick)

and use the Japanese nomenclature ("Demon Castle" instead of "Castlevania").

...? so let me get this straight, his patch is more japanophilic than... the original japanese version?

what??

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:47:18 pm »
and use the Japanese nomenclature ("Demon Castle" instead of "Castlevania").

...? so let me get this straight, his patch is more japanophilic than... the original japanese version?

what??

Didn't change the flea men into demons, though. ;)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:53:56 pm »
I didn't ask Tom to rewrite the English prologue because it felt weird, but because whatever the narrator says in Japanese is not exactly the same as the text.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 06:48:45 pm »
I think I'm d'ling this based on the availibility of the nose goblin alone.

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 10:50:45 pm »
This will prolly get me into trouble, but (IMO) i don't think this was warranted. That 2 years could have been spent working on one of the million other ps1 games that didn't already get multiple english releases.  :huh:

the PSP version really isn't a true retranslation.
Are we really missing out on that much though? It's not a heavily story driven game after all.

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:56:28 am »
Yeah... these changes seem marginal at best. SOTN's translation was serviceable, it did its job, plus added camp value. 8-)
Why would you use "Demon Castle" when legions of gamers know it as Castlevania?

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:04:48 am »
Man I'm never translating anything ever again if this is the only kind of reception that people are giving now.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:26:18 am »
Hmm. This is the kind of project that makes the world think we're anal.

I mean, Policenauts? Tales of Phantasia? Hell freakin' yes. But there's already a serviceable, if campy, translation for this game: it's not like the translation was botched or butchered, which would have been grounds for such a project.

You know where your efforts would've been better-spent? Hacking the PS1 version's translation into the PSP version. Maybe find some way to work the classic exchange into Rondo of Blood as well. ^_^
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Doom Saber

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 01:59:29 am »
How is this any different to the nostaglic Sotn fans who would like to reinsert the crummy PSX eng voice and text to the psp ver of Sotn?

Sotn is a popular game and when the psp one came out, we were lead to believe it is a more faithful translation of the game.  I know a lot of people were disappointed in finding out that Konami changed the words in the PSP as oppose of actually retranslating it.

I don't see why we should get angry over such a translation a lot us were not aware of.  It is not like this retranslation distracts the group from fan translating another game.  From what the notes said, this translation was done after the Italian ver was done.  Maybe all the frustrated hours they spent going through the files were for the Italian translation

I mean I find it odd people complain about this retranslation whereas projects like Secret of Mana, tales of Phantasia (if l am not mistaken, another eng pack is comming out for the psx ver)  or Final Fantasy 4(which has been translated over and over again) are overlooked.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:37:02 am by Doom Saber »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 02:43:29 am »
We wouldn't be able to get a really perfected Sotn translation without proper voice actors, tools to insert a redub of decent audio quality... Way beyond feasible there.

I'd probably do something weird like insert the PSP Final Fantasy Tactics translation to PSX. Except that I can't program. :P

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:29:57 am »
Translation isn't just an objective matter; it's subjective as well. A translation that sounds better but fudges the meaning slightly will be better-received than a more accurate but clunkier one.

Seriously: what makes the classic SotN opening corny instead of epic is the hammy acting and delivery. The script itself for the scene is nigh-on flawless. I'd accept it if DXC used a mix of that and remixed lines ("What is a man? Just a miserable pile of secrets! Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"), but the good got the axe just as much as the bad.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 04:17:33 am »
I guess I just don't find translation too important for this game then. Sure I've played through the PSP one, but didn't even pay attention to any differences. :-[

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 06:39:52 am »
This will prolly get me into trouble, but (IMO) i don't think this was warranted. That 2 years could have been spent working on one of the million other ps1 games that didn't already get multiple english releases.  :huh:
I guess you didn't notice that I've also released two other translation patches during these 2 years (ToP and Persona). The actual time spent on this game is like 3 weeks, as stated in the readme, which I would suggest most of you to read for realz. All the hacking was done a long time before the retranslation was even planned because everything was derived from the work on the Italian translation.

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 06:46:19 am »
Man I'm never translating anything ever again if this is the only kind of reception that people are giving now.

It's rather unfortunate, that this sentiment seems to be on the rise on the user end. I don't think people ought to complain unless the work itself is objectively bad.

This hack in particular interests me because it enables me to play the game and pick up the handful of things left out in the US release sans the language barrier.

Generally speaking, we are truly ungrateful little shitheads and rarely deserve what we get.
(ToP and Persona)

I finally got around to grabbing Persona 2: IS, and i have only one thing to say:

Fuck the naysayers.

With a battering ram.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:54:45 am by Corsair »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 07:12:25 am »
Corsair, I couldn't agree more. I guess I should have explained that this is the only translation I didn't work on because I actually wanted to, but because people demanded for it so much and so frequently (especially recently); plus it wasn't really much work after all. If it were for me, this project would have never existed as I was already satisfied with the Italian translation. In other words, I did this only for those fans who don't like the original translation.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:20:38 am by Gemini »

Doom Saber

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 09:16:05 am »
I have tried the patch and so far, I like what I see.  For instance, Alucard doesn't call Death "Old Man" in this ver.  I also had a hutch that this patch was created mostly because of the Italian patch.  I doubt Gemini or anybody else who worked on this would spend a long time trying to retranslate the text into english

It just doesn't seem logicial for somebody to just go through a bunch of copies of the game to retranslate unless they translated it into another language like Italian.

I don't see the point of complaining because I am sure many of us didn't know this patch was being worked on until yesterday.  I think the patch is intended for the more hardcore CV gamers who realized that the recent Chronicles version uses the old eng script but reworded.  If you guys like the old translation better, more power to you.

l mean, this patch doesn't make the official PSX ver any less of a game

Even though I am content with the new voice actors in the PSP version, I am happy someone out there release a more accurate english patch.  Before the psp one came out, I wanted to play a more accurate translation since the voice acting in the first one was so bad;  This patch gives me a reason to play this game again

@Gemini

You didn't have to explain that this game isn't the only thing you have worked on since your signature already says it.  Coincidently, I was searching TOP PSX eng patches before readin' about this new SOTN translation, so I knew you did other games.

September 06, 2009, 01:32:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Translation isn't just an objective matter; it's subjective as well. A translation that sounds better but fudges the meaning slightly will be better-received than a more accurate but clunkier one.

Seriously: what makes the classic SotN opening corny instead of epic is the hammy acting and delivery. The script itself for the scene is nigh-on flawless. I'd accept it if DXC used a mix of that and remixed lines ("What is a man? Just a miserable pile of secrets! Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"), but the good got the axe just as much as the bad.

The miserable pile of man line in the old ver is good, but from what I have remember, it was taken from somewhere. I agree that problem of the old ver was more of the actors rather than the actual script.  I think Konami thought the old script required a rewrite, which imo, sound better in some intances, but bad in others.  I wonder why they removed the miserable pile of secret part and replaced it with a rephrase of it.  The DC one even had Alucard call Grimmy, "Old Man" instead of "Ancient One."   :o

September 07, 2009, 09:47:58 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yeah... these changes seem marginal at best. SOTN's translation was serviceable, it did its job, plus added camp value. 8-)
Why would you use "Demon Castle" when legions of gamers know it as Castlevania?

Having seen the retranslated opening, using Demon Castle seems more fitting in regards to context.  If I recall, the new patch says something to the likes of "the Demonic castle of Dracula"

If I am not mistaken, SOTN was made before Castlevania was accepted as the name of Drac's Castle in Japan.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:47:58 am by Doom Saber »