News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mortal Kombat II Unlimited  (Read 17504 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mortal Kombat II Unlimited
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:04:09 am »

Update By: Smoke

Finally the Mortal Kombat II hack for SMD has been finished. It's been a hard work for me and now I'd like to present result to the world. This hack has many new features such as new moves, combo-system etc. Nearly each gameplay change player can turn off or on. So you can calibrate it to be a normal MK2 but with improvements such as new sounds, stages etc. See the feature list and small description at the RHDN Hack Page.
Enjoy!

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/596)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: ROM Hacks: Mortal Kombat II Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »
This looks pretty neat. Just out of curiosity, I remember this game's violence being toned down for the Genesis version compared to the SNES version. Was this addressed in your hack?

Smoke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:26:35 pm »
Thanks. Well it's true the Genesis version has a smaller violence than a SNES one. Bones for example. In Genesis version they looked like some trash. But I didn't change it. :)
Sorry, my English isn't very good

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:00:58 pm »
Well, I've always loved Mortal Kombat 2 regardless. I remember wishing I had a SNES so I could do those extra gory fatalities.

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:28:18 pm »
This looks pretty neat. Just out of curiosity, I remember this game's violence being toned down for the Genesis version compared to the SNES version. Was this addressed in your hack?

I thought that was the other way around?

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »
I don't know the story for anything after 1, but it was 1 that made Nintendo ease up on the their policy when the Genesis version, which had a blood code, trounced the SNES version in sales.

I recently tried getting back into MK2 a while back, haven't tried this hack out yet. Anyway, it had been quite a while to me. I guess I just want to ask, is it really that balls hard on "very easy," or was maybe Kung Lao not the best character to try it again after so long, or what? I mean I used to have difficulty with the end guys, but I'd still beat it. After not playing for so long, the last 5 or so before the "?" were just handing me my ass. Beginning to wonder how many hour I put into getting better at these games when I was younger...

EDIT: Finally got around to trying this. Ran into a few snags though.

Scorpions quarter circle away(down, back) + low kick(C) as well as Smokes up, down + low punch (X) don't seem to work. Smoke Also has some issue seemingly linked with high kick (Z), I don't know the combination that sets this off, but he just starts spinning in place until hit by his opponent.

Other than that(so far), excellent job, making 3(of the 5) complete newly playable characters with full specials, fatality, etc. lists , and adding combos and brutalities to everyone!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:15:41 am by FallenAngel2387 »

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:28:36 pm »
II was ridiculously harder on the Genesis than it was on the Super Nintendo, in my experience. So it's probably not necessarily Kung Lao's fault. I had the trilogy on my Genesis and a friend had II and UMK3 on SNES, and I was shocked how easily I plowed through it after going through hell just to get smashed by Kintaro on mine.

Maybe I'm just biased, but the Genesis versions always seemed superior. 1 wasn't even close - violence aside, the game simply controlled a lot smoother.

Early Mortal Kombat games were also notorious for cheap CPU priority. You can be already crouching under an opponent and go for an uppercut, yet they still manage to uppercut YOU first. You either have to get very good with a character, get very cheap with a character, or a combination of the two. Just adds to the difficulty.

Anyways, this hack sounds pretty badass. Can't wait to try it out.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

Smoke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:55 am »
Scorpions quarter circle away(down, back) + low kick(C) as well as Smokes up, down + low punch (X) don't seem to work.
There are an errors in move's list, I guess. Smoke's invincibility(up, down + low punch) should up, up, down+(X). You should jump and when Smoke is about to land to the ground quickly tap up, down+(X). Combination for Scorpion I have forgotten. But it's definitely not (down, back)+(C). Errors eh...

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 02:47:12 pm »
EDIT: I keep forgetting the most important part of this: Thanks Smoke. I've almost kinda re-discovered the game as it were, and it's been fun so far.

Coulda probably just looked at a normal guide, but that helped me figure out a few other corrections.

Scorpions legs scissors move: Forward, Down, Back(ie, half circle away), C

That Smoke thing was also Reptiles, so same correction. You could also just hold block until you press up the 2nd time.

Baraka's slicing move: back, back, back, A (basically just pressing it one more time)

Sub Zero's slide: back + both kick buttons(C+Z), though I suppose for 3 button control it would right with B+C

couple of moves with Jax you might not have known.:
When you go for his grab(forward, forward +A), if you repeatedly tap A, he'll punch 3 more times. If you pull that off, it's on par with the damage of an uppercut.
When you go for a throw(forward+A when very close), if you keep pressing X, he slams them around about 3 more times. This can be highly damaging, almost like 2 uppercuts worth.
^There may be more moves of this kind with others

That's about all the possible corrections, but that's just special moves. I think you have the finishers and stuff correct, but I hadn't tested all those out.

Noted Noob's forward, forward +X move seems limited, which is probably good, since it's kind of a cheap way to pull out an uppercut from nowhere, from a distance no less.

Also Kintaro seems to randomly pose. Guessing figuring out a pattern when using him would probably help studying against fighting him.

September 06, 2009, 02:32:55 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You either have to get very good with a character, get very cheap with a character, or a combination of the two. Just adds to the difficulty.

So I've found. It really does come down to out-cheaping the PC. Thanks for the advice, it's been so long for me, I forgot that I probably cheated like a bastard(using the games built in codes). On the front of having to out-cheap the PC, I suppose I can see some of the argument from Capcom/SNK fighter fans. Still, the series is fun either way, so to hell with that shit.

So I saw the endings for the new playable characters. Aside from the documentation, I can see English isn't your first language(don't worry about it, English speakers will get the gist of what you mean). Got me wondering though, this hack seems like it was harder to do than a translation would be. Have you considered a translation into Russian for this project(or the original MK2 in general)?

Also found it kinda funny that Jade, who was placed in this hack as a playable character due to her NPC(non-playable character) status, is replaced as a secret boss, with a new NPC. Unless there's a another secret there that you deliberately left unmentioned.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:54:35 pm by FallenAngel2387 »

Smoke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 02:55:46 pm »
That's about all the possible corrections, but that's just special moves. I think you have the finishers and stuff correct, but I hadn't tested all those out.
Thanks for correction. Finishers must be correct because I was testing them once.
Noted Noob's forward, forward +X move seems limited, which is probably good, since it's kind of a cheap way to pull out an uppercut from nowhere, from a distance no less.
Yes, it's limited. I spend more time for making and calibrating this, so there's no cheating with this superhit anymore.
So I saw the endings for the new playable characters. Aside from the documentation, I can see English isn't your first language(don't worry about it, English speakers will get the gist of what you mean). Got me wondering though, this hack seems like it was harder to do than a translation would be. Have you considered a translation into Russian for this project(or the original MK2 in general)?
Thanks, I pleased that you guys(English speakers) understood me. :)
Yeah, the translation would be much easier than a hacking. But I don't planning to translate it. I think MK must be on English language, Russian is not good suitable for it.
Also found it kinda funny that Jade, who was placed in this hack as a playable character due to her NPC(non-playable character) status, is replaced as a secret boss, with a new NPC. Unless there's a another secret there that you deliberately left unmentioned.
You mean Ermac? I know about him, he is a new secret fighter. ;)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »
Yeah, kinda didn't want to spoil it, if no one read the documentation and tried to fight her, but I guess that's no big deal, since it is mentioned in the documentation. What I was getting at was, is there a way to actually play as Ermac? That's what I find kinda humorous, is that Jade is now playable, but then you created a new non-playable(if the answer to that question is no) in her place.

Smoke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:31:09 am »
What I was getting at was, is there a way to actually play as Ermac? That's what I find kinda humorous, is that Jade is now playable, but then you created a new non-playable(if the answer to that question is no) in her place.
Actually no. But you may use gamegenie code for play as Ermac: 30006A: 0015. After that on select screen will be Ermac instead of Jade.
About new non-playable character: someday I realized that there were a secret characters in every MK game. So I decide to add Ermac in MK2(by the way there was a rumor about him in original game, I guess).

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:10:32 am »
Yeah, I never saw that myself. I guess he was a red Reptile with Ermac in the name bar, and the name itself is short for "error macro," meaning if you saw it at all, it was a major glitch.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:37:24 am by FallenAngel2387 »

mugenmidget

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »
This is an EXCELLENT hack, I thought it didn't work on my Neo Myth MD at first but I just had to hit the "start" button on top of it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:06:46 am by mugenmidget »