News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)  (Read 141784 times)

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)
« Reply #320 on: December 17, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »
Why don't you just give people the option to donate if they want to? Your actions are making you loose a lot of friends and the respect of others. Most people are on this site as a hobby not to make money. Pay it forward don't pay it backwards. I myself would not have the programming skills that I have if it wasn't for other people that helped me on this site and I'm very great full for it so I try to help whenever I can.
Yea programming and debugging is a ridiculous amount of work and it would be nice to get paid for it. But I don't think this is the right place for you to try and make money off of programming. You have every right to do as you please but I'm definitely not happy about it. If I were you I would just let people donate if they want to. Anyways that's my 2 cents do what ever you want.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »
I'd say put up a donation only after it's gaining some traction at this point. With how many hours of work a lot of us have put to help the original, the second editor and yourself, it's definitely the better option out of any if you're going the pay route.

Either way, I'm stilling to welp whomever with MMX stuff as I want any editor to continue.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »
You would still help even if people are forced to pay for updates?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 17, 2017, 04:38:02 pm »
If forced to pay, no. If donation wise without having to be forced, yes.

I'm willing to help most anyone who's willing to make an editor but if it's force pay then no.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2017, 04:57:08 pm »
I feel the same way.

I don't think there is anything wrong with donations. But forcing people to pay just rubs me the wrong way. This editor still has a long way to go and it needs all the help it can get. I really hope money doesn't mess up this project.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »
If I can make a donation to ensure a particular feature comes next I'm fine with that.  So long as the project itself is open source then if somebody else wants to do the work they can.  Not paying for what you have done, but rather for what you will do

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2017, 06:16:35 pm »
Im curious. What particular feature are you looking for?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »
I feel the same way.

I don't think there is anything wrong with donations. But forcing people to pay just rubs me the wrong way. This editor still has a long way to go and it needs all the help it can get. I really hope money doesn't mess up this project.

Exactly. Most people into the ROM hacking scene are doing it out of passion or to better their own skills (Wave on this very site is a great example), not to turn a profit--and given that nobody here owns Mega Man X, the legality is very much up for debate. I feel like there are some things that shouldn't be turned into capitalist ventures, and this is one of them.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2017, 07:30:52 pm »
I'm sure it's legal and he does have every right to ask for money if that's what he wants to do. I just don't think it's ethical because the creators can't create it on there own and they didn't create it on there own.

Image how much time these so called magicians spent debugging to find all of this magical rom data. I'm sure we put more time in debugging and finding rom data than it took to write the program and what do we ask for. We ask for nothing in return. We pride ourselves in helping others and we take pride in our hobbie. We put in a lot of work that people don't see and don't think about. Hard work and dedication and anybody can easily hack a rom or write a program. It's not magic it's dedication for what we love to do.

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 17, 2017, 08:36:12 pm »
Not counting the fact that he acted in completely bad faith, caring to look for my YT channel to flag my videos (which I never shared in a thread in RHDN)? No, I think that the attitude speaks for itself. He's made changes that haven't helped the development of the MMX romhacking scene, and then implied he shpuld expect payment for it.

I am one that makes his projects with a sense of community and will quickly turn my head around when I see someone like this guy trying to grt money out of someone else's work. Again, let's not forget the facts: he's going to make small changes to an editor that is functional as is, and then attempt to squeeze money out of the people who want to use it. Add that to the fact that he's asked the same people help for the development of said editor (I have PMs sent from him to me asking help on how it works), and then yeah, it's all too messed up to me, and I'd recommend everyone to see what I'm seeing and call him out on this.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:11 pm »
Is he not making everything he's already done available for free?  Will future iterations not also be made available for free?  If you want to take up the project, is the code not available?  He's saying, "I have a life.  A little money will motivate me to prioritize this project.". That some people go into an anti-capitalist rant because somebody has the guts to ask for donations... I mean seriously, take your feigned outrage and shove it.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 17, 2017, 08:54:48 pm »
He wasn't asking for donations is the problem. He was going to limit the use of his slightly modified versions of the editor to be SPECIFICALLY for people who pay.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:45 pm »
He wasn't asking for donations is the problem. He was going to limit the use of his slightly modified versions of the editor to be SPECIFICALLY for people who pay.

Wait, what?  Okay, Maybe I misread a previous post.  If so my apologies to all.

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 17, 2017, 09:09:11 pm »
If he did what you implied, that'd be totally fine at least to me. That is, before the money-hungry attitude he has had already, which is simply toxic. That ship has sailed in my eyes.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2017, 05:50:51 am »
Alright, you all don't get into too angry at me please. After all, up until now all of my changes have been free (and fixing the Overdrive Ostrich stage is still probably the biggest change). I know most up to 99% of the changes and hacks on this site are done without money being exchanged, and probably some of you are thinking I'm hijacking this program that wasn't even originally written by me. Unfortunately, the job market out here is pretty lackluster, and spending 2-3 hours programming on this when the only jobs in the area are forklift, or warehouse positions for min. wage is pretty demotivating. I'd rather be doing something like this, unfortunately it is iffy with the copyright and all. I was thinking Patreon, Kickstarter, or GoFundMe but I don't think I'd get enough traction to reach any goals.

I'd like to stay a member of this community for awhile, so don't be too bitter at me for wanting to make money for doing a hobby that I enjoy. I think everyone dreams to do what they love and make a career out of it. I will just look for a regular job in the area and make that a priority and do this in free time and spare hours, as usual. I appreciate all the feedback and help and input everyone has given, and I gave credit to many people in the github and Readme. Perhaps it is asking too much, even $5 for a cup of coffee, for donations. I don't know everyone's income and if a certain amount of money is too much for someone and I can't meet their deadlines I may just end up getting hate-mail and death threats.

I'm going to continue studying VRAM. There must be some place in memory, either RAM or ROM, where the size of enemy VRAM is stored. Once that hex value is found I can plug in equations in C++ and get those buttons to work. I'm guessing by the end of January that update will be done. Thanks for your input and I hope that we can all enjoy MegaEd X together.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 19, 2017, 07:37:11 am »
Trust me no one thinks you are hijacking this program.
Xeeynamo released the source so others can work on it.
As far as I know everybody is happy that you are picking up where he left off. I'm sure every rom hacker on here would love to make money off of their hard work. It's just not gonna happen on here. You would get some money through donations if you had something set up for that but forcing people to pay for updates people will probably just stop using the editor. Your best chance at making money off of programming is by improving your skills and try to get on with some company. That's what I plan on doing.

The size of enemy vram is in the rom. More than one person has all of that stuff documented already. That's like really basic stuff to find. My test editor loads all vram correctly it's just written in QT and it won't be ready for awhile because I haven't been working on it. Most of my free time has been going to improving my skills.

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 19, 2017, 10:07:35 am »
Agreed wholeheartedly with john. No hard feelings. Xeeynamo's own actions, releasing the source code speak for themselves on the spirit of the romhacking community, made not for noney, but to see these great games shine. If people somehow decide to donate, that's their own decision and it should never be a forced one, but a donation. Especially because we don't own the games. If you want to make money out of a game, it should only be one that you've designed and programmed from scratch, with an engine you (or your team) made. That's how the world works.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 19, 2017, 04:19:48 pm »
Hart-Hunt:
I do think anyone that creates a level editor for a game has every write to charge if they want to. I don't think anyone needs to create a game from scratch. Nobody is gonna get sued for making a editor for a game unless it has copyright material in it. Remember Nintendo tried suing the people that made the game genie and they lost. I think the legality of the game should be left out.

To all:
I just don't think this editor would even exist without romhacking.net. That's the reason I think the force of pay would be wrong. romhacking.net is a great community where people share, give, and teach. romhacking.net wouldn't be what it is if people were forcing payments for everything. Imagine if someone needed help with something and I said I'll help you if you pay me. If that happened we would no longer have romhacking.net and we won't have any new so called programming magicians. I won't have any programming skills if it wasn't for romhacking.net and I'm very great full to everyone that has helped me. There's really nothing left for me to say about all of this. I'm done.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:39:11 pm by slidelljohn »

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 19, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
Hart-Hunt:
I do think anyone that creates a level editor for a game has every write to charge if they want to. I don't think anyone needs to create a game from scratch. Nobody is gonna get sued for making a editor for a game unless it has copyright material in it. Remember Nintendo tried suing the people that made the game genie and they lost. I think the legality of the game should be left out.
Oh, I'm not saying that based on legality, I'm talking about what makes the romhacking community a good one. See what I posted above:
I am one that makes his projects with a sense of community and will quickly turn my head around when I see someone like this guy trying to get money out of someone else's work.
It's not about the legality of it, it's about how the romhacking community is based on fans making games better, or different, for themselves, and for other fans. Because we're a community. And programming is as much of a job as game designing. And how many game designers are there in the romhacking community (not just RHDN) that do not even think of charging for their work? Because they are part of this community, which is not based on earning money. So yeah, I still maintain my point.

To all:
I just don't think this editor would even exist without romhacking.net. That's the reason I think the force of pay would be wrong. romhacking.net is a great community where people share, give, and teach. romhacking.net wouldn't be what it is if people were forcing payments for everything. Imagine if someone needed help with something and I said I'll help you if you pay me. If that happened we would no longer have romhacking.net and we won't have any new so called programming magicians. I won't have any programming skills if it wasn't for romhacking.net and I'm very great full to everyone that has helped me. There's really nothing left for me to say about all of this. I'm done.
I agree wholeheartedly, and it's based on that sentiment that I say that I said above in this very post.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 28, 2017, 03:36:14 am »
I wasn't gonna post anything else on this page again but since I just now got a pm....

pianohombre:
Why are you sending me a pm for help? Are you scared to ask on here so everyone doesn't see it? How about you post exactly what you pm'd me on here! I'm more than willing to help out anybody but you have turned your back on everyone. Why should I help you? Post exactly what you pm'd me and I'll post your proof that I have it! And don't pm me unless you fix what you messed up. If you fix this I'll respond to your pm's. I'm sure people are wondering what's going on. There are people that have been following this editor for years. Don't leave them hanging wondering what's gonna happen with the editor. And if it's pay to play I'm not helping cause I'm not charging anyone!  >:(

And pianohombre you want help imagine if I said pay me! :-X

Video for what you are looking for. It is password protected. Post the pm you sent me and I'll post the password.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ce9zzp881dtcgb4/mmx_sprite_vram_video.rar
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:37:30 am by slidelljohn »