News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)  (Read 117127 times)

MikeVincent

• View Profile
Re: [0.6.1] Megaman X Editor (October/18/2009)
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:26 am »
i understand if its not easy to make everything that people want but these tsa options iam gonna show you is realy kinda needed in a editor. however, i dont actualy know if mmx works the same way as mm3-6 so this can be done. but on this picture you will understand what can be done with tsa blocks in mega fle x.

http://acmlm.no-ip.org/uploader/get.php?id=2354

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 11:32:24 am »
i understand if its not easy to make everything that people want but these tsa options iam gonna show you is realy kinda needed in a editor. however, i dont actualy know if mmx works the same way as mm3-6 so this can be done. but on this picture you will understand what can be done with tsa blocks in mega fle x.

http://acmlm.no-ip.org/uploader/get.php?id=2354
Now I understand XD, the tsa determine if the 16x16 block is a wall, background etc and set the collision right? I don't know where this values are stored, but in next week i want to start to search them

MikeVincent

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 11:36:27 am »
yes thats what i mean :) it would also be nice to be able to choose witch pallete the 16x16 block should have. i understand if theres alot of work with the editor though, so i will wait as patience as i can =) good luck!

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 02:18:47 pm »
yes thats what i mean :) it would also be nice to be able to choose witch pallete the 16x16 block should have. i understand if theres alot of work with the editor though, so i will wait as patience as i can =) good luck!
I'm working on the possibility to switch the palettes on 16x16 tiles ;)
Never use the Set/GetPixel methods, but use unsafe or DMA code. There's many examples online, and ones that make it very easy (Look up FastPixel)
In 10 minutes I've studied the original sourcecode that I found searching with google and I've created a custom lib of fastpixel. Wow, I've see a big speedup on sprite editor, but the level editor continues to be slow )=...
This is the code, 500+% faster that the standard SetPixel http://digitalwork.altervista.org/digitalwork/files/download.php?file=fastbmp

October 21, 2009, 06:58:02 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
YES!!! Look here!!!

Now the only thing that it misses is the Tiles16 editor :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:58:02 am by Xeeynamo »

MikeVincent

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
looking good, very good! some kind of tile editor would be sweet as well, so you could import graphics from other games and/or paint your own custom tiles. Iam sure its on the way to =) Keep it up!

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.6.5] Megaman X Editor (October/24/2009)
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 03:14:26 am »
New version released!

Corvus

Re: [0.6.5] Megaman X Editor (October/24/2009)
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 05:30:32 pm »
The speed at which you have worked is incredible. I admire your dedication, and am watching your progress regularly.

elixirnova

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2009, 04:29:33 pm »
@elixirnova: I didn't understand what you mean for editor multiwindow. I know that my level editor is a bit confused and very difficult but i accept every piece of advice u give me ^^ i wanna do better

I'll elaborate.

In this screen shot.

The "Scene" editor as you termed it which has Scene #xxx & Save Scene under it is what I am talking about.

I find it difficult to edit a scene when I do not know exactly how it fits in with the scenes to the left and right of it on the stage map (or on the top and bottom of that scene if it is a vertical scroll portion.

You could possibly load a scaled down snapshot of the entire stage and allow a user to click on the stage map and select which scene to edit. A snapshot of the stage would look something like this

I can see this being useful when you can allow editing of sprites since scrolling actions are probably controlled via sprites. This could allow the user to make vertical scrolling areas in a once mostly horizontal level.

Does that make more sense?

By the way again impressed by the progress you keep making each week!

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.6.6] Megaman X Editor (October/28/2009)
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2009, 03:09:33 am »
I'm already working on a level viewer :) I don't release the new version because I want to able the editor to save an edited layout:

When you click on "Preview of the level" appear the window on left of the screen. On the hex editor you can see how the layout of the level is compress and I think that a layout editor will be very hard to develope :S. I want to merge the checkpoint editor with the layout editor and after develope an object editor!

I can see this being useful when you can allow editing of sprites since scrolling actions are probably controlled via sprites. This could allow the user to make vertical scrolling areas in a once mostly horizontal level.
I think that it's based on invisible objects placed on the level, but now the only mode to remove the limitation of the scrolling before touch this invisible object is the "border" of the checkpoint editor

November 02, 2009, 12:13:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Released new version! ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:13:14 pm by Xeeynamo »

EntraxZ

Re: [0.7.0] Megaman X Editor (November/02/2009)
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »
Hello! i am new here, and my english is very bad xD sorry .. but i have a problem with the editor ... i download it and open it and launch an error of megaman x editor has encountered a problem and needs to close , we are sorry for de invonvenience, ... and i dont know whats up with the program  :'(  .... help plz XD i need this...

MikeVincent

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 01:20:28 pm »
So.. is this project still alive? Sad thing if it aint  :-\

thebigstar

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 09:35:40 am »

I hope not, it's only been a couple months, he probably has to eat or work or something stupid like that :p.

I just found out about this and I'm completely hooked, can't wait to edit the game once the sprite/enemy editor is complete. Oooh this is exciting...

If it is dead, any chance I can have the source? :S

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010, 06:22:37 am »

I hope not, it's only been a couple months, he probably has to eat or work or something stupid like that :p.

I just found out about this and I'm completely hooked, can't wait to edit the game once the sprite/enemy editor is complete. Oooh this is exciting...

If it is dead, any chance I can have the source? :S
Eheh I'm not dead XD I've the school and a real life and a lot of my projects are suspended. Before to resume the MMXEditor project, I want to learn a little of DirectX (2D) to implement it on my editor and on a my future project ;)

insomniadmx

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »
I've been doing a little research on Megaman X lately. I think it would be a good idea to share it with everyone in this thread.

I'm hosting some of the stuff that I've documented. I'll be sticking my stuff here (hosting is expensive so that site might not be up for long):
http://insom.15-bit.com/stuff/

I'll also be sure to add things to the datacrystal wiki entry for the game as I go as well:
http://www.datacrystal.org/wiki/Megaman_X

I'm hosting a few more docs that I haven't added to datacrystal yet (if someone wants to do that, I'd be grateful). Those mostly describe things in RAM at the moment, but I'll be putting code/ROM related stuff up too. The format that I use for my docs was inspired by Kejardon to a great extent.

Megaman X's code is quite different from the other SNES games I've examined. They constantly change the direct page register and have M and X set most of the time. It seems that Capcom's programmers aimed for code density over most other things, since they avoided using absolute addressing modes a lot of the time by doing much of the memory access with direct page.

Capcom reused a lot of code for the three Megaman X games on the SNES, and though the routines that write X's graphics to VRAM are almost the same throughout, they are stored to and execute from bank $7E in the second two games, perhaps having something to do with the Cx4 chip. (I've read that the chip was used extensively for those games' graphics.)

Xeeynamo: I'd love to contribute something to this editor. If there's any aspect of the game that you would like to have me look into, tell me and hopefully I can get around to doing it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:44:05 pm by insomniadmx »

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2010, 08:25:09 am »
@insomniadmx:
Wow, I thank you for share these informations!!! I'm happy to have a little of help to this project :). I'm a beginner of assembly-programming and I'm searching someone that can help me. But before to release a new version of my editor I want to learn the DirectX's libs for a fast drawing of the sprite and tiles and remake all the editor for a comfortable GUI and various improves. (I'm afraid that in this post my english is veeeery poor XD)

insomniadmx

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2010, 12:29:05 pm »
Don't worry, your english makes perfect sense.

Send me a private message if you ever have something you want help with.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.7.1] Megaman X Editor (January/24/2010)
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »
I've released a new version, the 0.7.1. This build is very old, compiled on the first days of December. I haven't release it before because I've implemented a new function on Level Layout but it doesn't work very well.. If you want to try it you can download them on my website (look the first post). In this two days I'm developing a new GUI for Megaman X Editor (MDI Forms) and I'm rewriting all the core of the editor for more speed and malleability (support of MMX ROM that have the levels or the sprites located in a different place and eventually X2 and X3 roms). The work is hard and I ask you two (or most) week for redeveloping all

Zealous98

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2010, 08:24:03 pm »
Hi,

you said you moved the checkpoint editor into the level editor for v7.0. How do you access the checkpoint editor? The level editor didn't seem to change from 6.0. If it is a software issue on my computer, then can you make available version 6.0? I would prefer to use 6.x, personally. Thanks.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:47 am »
Hi,

you said you moved the checkpoint editor into the level editor for v7.0. How do you access the checkpoint editor? The level editor didn't seem to change from 6.0. If it is a software issue on my computer, then can you make available version 6.0? I would prefer to use 6.x, personally. Thanks.
Try to move your rom in C:\ unit and rename it as lol.smc. It's an issuse of 0.7.0 version :S that I've correct on 0.7.1 version

Zealous98

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2010, 01:42:02 am »

Try to move your rom in C:\ unit and rename it as lol.smc. It's an issuse of 0.7.0 version :S that I've correct on 0.7.1 version

Moving the editing rom and renaming it does nothing. Also, sorry--I actually looked into 7.1 and I don't see any difference.

Could I use any 6.x version please?