News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)  (Read 121204 times)

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.5.0] Megaman X Editor (September/12/2009) [WITH SPRITE EDITOR!!!]
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 01:07:34 pm »
I'm trying to do a Title Editor. The work is at beginning and for now there's the disadvantage that the tiles are loaded from png files (>_>). The work is veeeeery long, but a little funny ;D.

EDIT: I've complete the Level Viewer and Tiles Editor and I've all the offsets of all levels, but there is a big problem and I ask an help at the forum :). Every level have a scene (256x224 i think) and it's formed by 56 32x32 tiles. Every 32x32 tiles it's formed by 4 16x16 tiles and every 16x16 tiles (i think that) is formed to 4 8x8 tiles.

Well, i know how the game create the scenes and the 32x32 tiles but I don't know how the game create 16x16 tiles from the 8x8 tiles >.<. How I can find the routine that create the 16x16 tiles?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:27:11 am by Xeeynamo »

Corvus

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 08:35:51 pm »
Progress?

Tallgeese

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 01:24:31 am »
Unless he's been helped over PM, he may be stalled.

acb

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 02:39:23 am »
I hope to see a level editor soon. Good luck!

smkd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 03:41:44 am »
for about a week I was interested in hacking this game, I made a functional viewer that was not 100% but got bored with it pretty fast.  the source loads levels and graphics from ROM and shows a full level preview.  palettes were not loaded 100% correctly.  the source might help, I have no note documents or atleast any I can find.

http://smkdan.eludevisibility.org/other/MMX1.zip
the bloated size is from the PNG files I never bothered to delete

all screens are 256x256 in size, you just can't see the bottom bits in the first level.

e: this may not help answer that last question much, but I found all the level data + pointers with gieger's snes9x and backtracking through the routines that put the 8x8 foregrounds tiles into vram.

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »
Some research into Megaman X hacking has been done over at the Sonic Retro forums, if it's any help. At the very least, you can PM some of the users for a bit of research they've done.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 09:56:39 pm »
Wow! Finally, a Megaman X level editor is to come. I love the series and have always been wanting to edit them. I'd make the editor myself, but I don't know how data works... But I'm busy with another project right now, but good luck :)

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 05:56:37 am »
@smkdan:
IT'S FANTASTIC, THANKS!!!!! Today I will study your source code, and I hope that a full level editor will be release soon (:
One question: how I can find the pointers or the routines? I'm a beginner with Geiger's snes9x debugger >_<

azoreseuropa

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile

smkd

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 01:31:58 am »
yeah go with bsnes unless gieger's has a feature you need that bsnes doesn't offer.  Would've used bsnes for its nifty vram breakpoints if it was around at the time I worked on that.  Pointers are in the code somewhere, map.cs I think.  At the top, it's 24bits per level.  Routines you can see by setting breakpoint on the pointers and look at how the code works with them.  It will load the level # from RAM and choose one of them.  The level RAM address will be handy for any other work you do so make a note of it.  VRAM breakpoint on foreground tiles will show you the code that uploads the 16x16 blocks and if you see where in RAM the 16x16 blocks are placed, then you can easily find the code that works with them.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:37 pm »
Some research into Megaman X hacking has been done over at the Sonic Retro forums, if it's any help. At the very least, you can PM some of the users for a bit of research they've done.
That is neat! I hope he puts the ability to use that unused enemy sprite, since the code appears to be there.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.6.0] Megaman X Editor (October/12/2009)
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2009, 12:24:34 pm »
After a month, I've released the 0.6.0 version of Megaman X Editor ^^ the level editor is very slow and you can't edit 16x16 and 32x32 tiles. On the next release I will try to speedup the Level Editor and I will develope a Tiles Editor (It's easy to make). I want to say THANKS to smkdan for his sourcecode, that have help me on load of 8x8 tiles from vram and the arrangement of a level (I want to make also a complete Level Viewer). The link is placed on the first post!

MikeVincent

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 03:55:58 pm »
Hello
Iam Mike Vincent and maybe you've heard about my hack Mega Man Maverick Revenge? Well, iam very excited about this program and Iam looking forward to this alot. But Iam wondering due to my lack of skills in programming, will there be enemy edits available? And about tsa, is it possible to choose everything on them from background, foreground,  wall, water, bossdoor, spikes etc etc? And will palletes be editable? Maybe pallete effects? Well, Iam not sure if all this is even possible. I have no knowledge of Snesrom hacking.

But Iam wishing you all the luck with this gem and hope for some updates soon! =)

Greets from Mike

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 10:18:40 am »
Hello
Iam Mike Vincent and maybe you've heard about my hack Mega Man Maverick Revenge? Well, iam very excited about this program and Iam looking forward to this alot. But Iam wondering due to my lack of skills in programming, will there be enemy edits available? And about tsa, is it possible to choose everything on them from background, foreground,  wall, water, bossdoor, spikes etc etc? And will palletes be editable? Maybe pallete effects? Well, Iam not sure if all this is even possible. I have no knowledge of Snesrom hacking.

But Iam wishing you all the luck with this gem and hope for some updates soon! =)

Greets from Mike
Hi Mike :)
I want that my Megaman X Editor will be a full editor of this fantastic game, but now have only the basics that allow the hack of rom. Eheh, also I haven't a good knowledge of programming, infact the development of mmxe is a little slow... For the enemy editor you will wait, because now I want to develope the tiles editor and optimize the level editor (on sunday 0.6.1 version will be completed), after I want to add the level editing of all levels and after i will make an object editor (enemies, bosses, spikes etc). I think that after october, you will see an object editor ^^

October 17, 2009, 09:37:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I'm working on the support for the other levels on the game. Thanks to the source code of smkdan, I've used the RLE Decompressor for using the tiles of game without using vram states of the game :)

This is a screen of a prototype of the new version of mmxe! I hope that my works will be finished at soon ^^
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:38:30 am by Xeeynamo »

MikeVincent

• View Profile
Re: [0.6.1] Megaman X Editor (October/18/2009)
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 11:53:55 am »
The editor is getting better and better. If it's alright with you I have a few tips and things I(and probably others to) would like in this editor. Not that I doubt that you would make it good, but tips on the way is always helpful =). Alright, here goes -

It looks like Capcom uses a similar way to create levels in the SNES games as in the NES games. Well, in the level editor there is a tile window, a tsa window and a structure window. Is it possible to make the structure window bigger? Like in MegaFLE X if you tried it? And maybe in the tsa, a way for the user to choose the tsa settings? Like wall, spike etc? And in the tile window, a tile editor? That would be the ultimate. And about colours, would pallete animations be possible to do? And pallete colour changes and such. Also a title screen, weapon menu and level select screen editor in the window where you select the level you want to edit would be sweet =)
Well, I have no idea how hard these things is to make, and Iam sure you already have planned most of them =). I can't explain how thrilled iam about future realeses on this! Good luck to you!
/Mike
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:24:54 pm by MikeVincent »

elixirnova

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 08:50:27 pm »
Very good looking. Definitely excited by all the progress you are making!

Not to gripe, but I never did like editing only a single screen at a time in the nes megaman editors, kinda hard to see the big picture of what your working on. I'm also liking the looks of the new features your adding to the level editor mode.

Keep it up! :cookie: :cookie:

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2009, 09:12:38 am »
I don't know if this would be helpful in general for future hacking, but the SPC system is practically the same in every Megaman X game on the SNES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tACAbEwulCg - Tried swapping X3's music with X2's and thus the result of this.

Maybe useful for future Megaman X SPC hacking if it was delved into more.  Just thought I'd share a little results of some testing.

Edit: Appears that X1's is pretty different, so I guess maybe this'll be for X2/X3 :|
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DQ Chao284

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 09:15:49 pm »
I don't know if this would be helpful in general for future hacking, but the SPC system is practically the same in every Megaman X game on the SNES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tACAbEwulCg - Tried swapping X3's music with X2's and thus the result of this.

Maybe useful for future Megaman X SPC hacking if it was delved into more.  Just thought I'd share a little results of some testing.

Edit: Appears that X1's is pretty different, so I guess maybe this'll be for X2/X3 :|
Well that is due to all BG graphics in MM7 and X1 are in that RLE2(3 maybe?) compression, much harder than LZs 1 through 8, but it is good that the 8x8 tile editor is working since the unused characters are hidden in the compression.

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:52 pm »
Nice job on the level editor. But, as a .NET user myself, you must do everything you can to make the drawing as fast as possible. Never use the Set/GetPixel methods, but use unsafe or DMA code. There's many examples online, and ones that make it very easy (Look up FastPixel). Whenever you draw something (Like click on the map to set a block), don't set the data and redraw the whole map. Just set the needed data and just draw the single tile using the Graphics class.

By the way, did you set your forms' DoubleBuffered property to true? It really helps a lot with flickering.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2009, 10:29:02 am »
@MikeVincent: Thank you for regards! About the functionality for the editor program is not simple for me to create it. I have planned to finish the mean functions as level editor and object editor...after I will see for the rest! I don't know yet what you mean with tsa but if u want u can send me some screen of a preexisting editor. I can't use MegaFLE X because i have an Os of only 64 bit :(

@elixirnova: I didn't understand what you mean for editor multiwindow. I know that my level editor is a bit confused and very difficult but i accept every piece of advice u give me ^^ i wanna do better

@Lin: Alas the .Net is a bit slow and for this reason i think to convert it in C++,but i don't know how to program in win32. You'r right, when I modify Tiles i do wrong downloading the scene and i'll also work on. And not, I haven't set to true dthe Double Buffered :S