News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)  (Read 149356 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Re: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)
« Reply #340 on: December 28, 2017, 09:19:19 am »
I already said that I wasn't going to charge for updates, but might ask for donations and post a link. I don't know why you're trying to expose me, or something, but I'm not interested in playing any games. Now, that the holiday was over I was planning on continuing more work on the editor, and have already made one small change.

"And don't pm me unless you fix what you messed up"
I don't know what you're talking about? Do you mean how the dialog boxes don't attach to the parent window? You'll have to refresh my memory.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:58 pm »
You exposed yourself and I'm not playing games. This is my last post on this page. Don't pm me again for help!

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #342 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:51 pm »
Well, this is one of the few threads I take a look every now and then, after the "pay me to use the editor" message appeared I lost interest in it, mostly because I'm not really a guy that knows how to hack, and even less a guy that can pay for something like that.

TO be honest, it was a dick move, I got into something similar before and believe me, nothing good happens, I was helping to create the new Protoman 21XX game, I did sprites edits and even a few edits using the editor, but as soon as money began to be more important than the passion on it, it started to fall, little things made me go away from that project, some personal stuff but mostly and most important the one about the money... you want to play the game? you have to pay...

I have seen you decided to go the donation route, that's a better option, in that way, people like me that can use the editor, learn and do something nice out of it can go and in a way ($) say "thank you" instead of trying to go and download the editor and get a "F-U" while trying because we don't pay for it, because it feels that way, like a big FU on our faces.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 29, 2017, 02:56:53 pm »
MegaEd X 1.4, everyone's greatest fears realized:

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 29, 2017, 06:08:24 pm »
Lmfao. Btw, something In noticed, in 1.3 the graphics in X1 don't get decompressed correctly. So you'll have to write exceptions for X1 or something.
Really Redguy has told me in the past that the editor, while it achieve significant breakthroughs in X1 modding, it needs a complete rewrite. And I'm inclined to agree; the GUI is a mess as is.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 30, 2017, 01:53:56 am »
You mean there's an issue in 1.3 where graphics don't decompress properly, but they work fine in previous builds (ie Redguyyy's version)? Can you post an image showing an example?

Hart-Hunt

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 31, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »
Left window is from RedGuy's version, right window is your latest build.
https://imgur.com/XFg1zBx

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 18, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »
I've figured out the proper way to calculate the size of OAM by using no$sns, instead of bsnes. There you can determine the number of tiles, and their sizes by iterating through the graphics. However, I think it may just be unknown sizes and values of the sprites that are being rendered on-screen. Of course, what's-his-name claims to know the address locations of OAM sizes, that are in-game, yet he is being difficult. Fortunately, Hart-Hunt has created a list of sizes for MMX1, so worst-case scenario I could create a data structure that stores these values, but that means I would have to also find these values for X2-X3.

As far as special item sprites, such as the subtank and armor module, reading through more and more SNES documentation, I'm getting closer to discovering how the sprite is assembled by the emulator, yet it may take another six months to get this coded efficiently in the editor. There are a few sprites that aren't rendered properly in the editor, those 2 sets of sprites not being the only one. (The capsule for getting armor upgrades doesn't display properly in some levels, also RT-55J, and a couple other bosses/sub-bosses do not render correctly). The SNES complicated way of sending tile information to the write buffer along with options such as Vblank, makes it complicated to determine why and how some sprites aren't properly assembled.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 29, 2018, 09:01:57 am »
Just curious, does this tool offer the ability to add new dialog boxes? So that all the added story from the psp version could be added to the snes.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 29, 2018, 12:25:06 pm »
It does not. That requires either hefty event editing or massive dialogue. Either way you're going to need some ASM work done. Event wise, that'll be a large undertaking.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2018, 02:13:15 pm »
Ya im definitely not going to do that, but thanks for the answer

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 08, 2018, 05:18:48 am »
It does not. That requires either hefty event editing or massive dialogue. Either way you're going to need some ASM work done. Event wise, that'll be a large undertaking.

Really? I haven't edited large blocks of text in the game, but it's all there in plain-text viewable in a hex editor. I assumed you could just change the text and voila. It worked that way for a menu option, although I had to change the text in 3 different locations.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 08, 2018, 10:33:31 am »
You can alter the text but to add in new dialogue that goes beyond requires some pointer relocating. Thankfully, Atlas and Cartographer do the job very well.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

renicito

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:30 am »
Hello friends, I'm new to this but I'm on the right track, I've made some progress in the translation of snes games, especially MegaMan X, I'm a loyal fan ... Maybe someone has the password to unzip this * .rar file " https://www.mediafire.com/file/ce9zzp881dtcgb4/mmx_sprite_vram_video.rar ", I publish Mr." slidelljohn ", when I had a discussion with" pianohombre ", I regret what happened to them but good a friendly hug friends ... Excuse my english I'm from Peru and I speak Spanish ... sometimes I use the google translator ... I apologize for them friends ...

A cordial greeting to "justin3009", it helped me a lot and I've learned many things since then when translating megaman x into Spanish ... thank you very much ...

Again I apologize for my audacity, I honestly want to continue learning ...  ;)

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 12, 2018, 11:29:28 pm »
renicito,
You'll have to ask slidelljohn, for the password to that RAR file. He was pretty helpful in trying to understand how VRAM, DMA, and stuff works, but unfortunately I couldn't fix the C++ to make it assemble the tiles correctly how an emulator would do it. (The graphic is loaded in 2 separate routines, and I manually arranged the tiles through tedious work). I'm not sure how many graphics are loaded this way, but it looks like maybe Flammingle also may render this way. slidelljohn was pretty upset when I said that I was going to ask for donations for updates to the program (a statement I later retracted), since it was taking up a lot of time and I spent many nights up until 6AM coding.

Unfortunately, I'm not a computer and the code gets pretty complicated. I have tried trial&error method, trying to mimic what the hex is doing by shifting bytes and address locations, but so far it hasn't worked. His suggestion that the second part is at 0xCA00, rather than 0xC800, means I need to do something for those last two tiles. bitwise-shift? increment the address variable by 0x200? I think understanding how this DMA/OAM stuff works would be a huge leap in programming this game. Even Redguyyy suggested inner-core needs to be re-written. Problems like this is what he was talking about. Also, for most objects like energy tanks, 1-up, etc. everything needs to be set manually (palette info, assembly info ,etc.), rather than read automatically from the HEX.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:34 pm »
Hello friends, I'm new to this but I'm on the right track, I've made some progress in the translation of snes games, especially MegaMan X, I'm a loyal fan ... Maybe someone has the password to unzip this * .rar file " https://www.mediafire.com/file/ce9zzp881dtcgb4/mmx_sprite_vram_video.rar ", I publish Mr." slidelljohn ", when I had a discussion with" pianohombre ", I regret what happened to them but good a friendly hug friends ... Excuse my english I'm from Peru and I speak Spanish ... sometimes I use the google translator ... I apologize for them friends ...

A cordial greeting to "justin3009", it helped me a lot and I've learned many things since then when translating megaman x into Spanish ... thank you very much ...

Again I apologize for my audacity, I honestly want to continue learning ...  ;)
The password is:
romhacking.net