News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)  (Read 121200 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: [0.2] Megaman X Editor (July/15/2009)
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »
The window being resizable is better than nothing. But it would look cleaner if you were to make an actual box for text to go into.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

flashman

• View Profile
Re: [0.2] Megaman X Editor (July/15/2009)
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:26 pm »
This project is ... PURE AWESOMENESS!!!

I've always dreamed of something like this because i wanted to create a very interesting new Megaman game but as i'm lacking the skills to hack with the tools already existing, i very much apprechiate your work!

I mainly would need sprite hacking, so please keep this project alive!!!

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.2.8] Megaman X Editor (July/12/2009)
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 06:52:41 am »
Released a new version :)
- Palette Editor added
- Fixed a bug on the Start Point Editor

EDIT:
Another version are released:
This is a particolar version of Megaman X Editor. Because I've lost the source code of the 0.2.7 version (See below) this is based on 0.2.5. The only new feature of this version (Called 0.2.8) is the menu "Other". This version don't have the features of the version 0.2.6 and 0.2.7 (But in the same zip archive, you can find the version 0.2.7) and some functionality are disabled like Level Editor and Start Point Editor and the Palette Editor don't work well.

But the source code of the version 0.2.7 is recoverable?
Good question! Well, my homepc is broken :P my motherboard is burned. I've saved the two hard drives but there is a BIG problem... The two hard drives used the RAID0 and now I use a stupid pc (EeePC 1000H) and I can't connect the two hard disk on this pc because it support only one drive and only in IDE mode (Not RAID mode >.<). Oh, if you don't know, the eeepc 1000h have a stupid 1.6ghz atom processor and a 10inch monitor and for me is VERY hard to work with Visual Studio :P. Be patience ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:17:37 am by Xeeynamo »

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.3.0] Megaman X Editor (August/18/2009)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 06:00:47 am »
0.2.9 version released :thumbsup:

- Improved the Checksum Fixer (4x faster =P)
 - Correct a small bug in Checksum Fixer that affect the lasts 0x200 byte of rom
 - Added more options on Engine Editor
 - Full support with normal and headered MMX roms

The version 0.2.9 have a small bug that corrupt the non-headered mmx roms with Palette Editor and Checkpoint Editor. I will fix this in 0.3 version ;)

Edit: I'm working on 0.4 version, that will include a sprite editor :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:28:31 pm by Xeeynamo »

misterj

• THE INFINITE IS POSSIBLE... AT ZOMBOCOM
    • View Profile
    • http://zombo.com
Looking good, man.
I think it is important to second what others are saying about the text editor, though. CR/LFs should operate as the line separators rather than those special characters.
THE ONLY LIMIT IS YOURSELF

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
How malleable are the editor's addresses? I guess what I'm asking is, hypothetically, if I expanded the ROM, and added more levels to the game's level loader, would I be able to redirect the editor to look at the new pointer table?

I'm kind of talking out of my arse here, but what I'd really like to do is add a few more levels and add some nonstandard ways of getting into them. Not necessarily through the standard stage select screen.

Zero

:banghead: lol I hope the sprite editor will be finsihed soon man.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
omg, I've some hard problems :(
15 july => Holiday
24 july => Return at home
28 july => My home pc has burned (Motherboard >_>)
An day of august => Working with my eeepc on a old sourcecode backup of mmxe and released 0.2.8 version
10~16 august => Recovered the source code of 0.2.7, added the feature of 0.2.8 and released 0.2.9 version
18 august => Released 0.3.0 version and working on 0.4.0 version
22 august => BURNED THE PROCESSOR OF MY NOTEBOOK!!!!!!!
Now I'm with a friend's pc. I hope that the project will be resumed at september, when I repair my home pc :(

Corvus

I registered on this forum because, and only because, I wanted to say thank you. I have been waiting for a long time for someone to create a ROM hacking tool for X. I'm sorry to hear about your PC trouble, and wish you the best of luck.

Zero

I'm just like, a little impatient for the sprite editor to be finished man. So I can make Zero, with the hair, and make the game about Zero's story. If I can.. I'm new but I will figure things out. Oh yea, also make a sprite editor for Zero's and Megaman X's weapons. Just a suggestion.

August 27, 2009, 03:01:15 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
But it's all good. Take your time.  :)

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.4.0] Megaman X Editor (September/07/2009) [WITH SPRITE EDITOR!!!]
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 06:54:09 pm »
How malleable are the editor's addresses? I guess what I'm asking is, hypothetically, if I expanded the ROM, and added more levels to the game's level loader, would I be able to redirect the editor to look at the new pointer table?

I'm kind of talking out of my arse here, but what I'd really like to do is add a few more levels and add some nonstandard ways of getting into them. Not necessarily through the standard stage select screen.
No, the editor have static addresses :( I'm not an expert of ROM hacking and for arrive at this point, I've studied for days the mmx rom! I've some problems because I don't know how I can find addresses like the level layout and I don't know if this game use compressed graphic and where there placed...
I registered on this forum because, and only because, I wanted to say thank you. I have been waiting for a long time for someone to create a ROM hacking tool for X. I'm sorry to hear about your PC trouble, and wish you the best of luck.
I'm just like, a little impatient for the sprite editor to be finished man. So I can make Zero, with the hair, and make the game about Zero's story. If I can.. I'm new but I will figure things out. Oh yea, also make a sprite editor for Zero's and Megaman X's weapons. Just a suggestion
But it's all good. Take your time.  :)
When the editor will become complete, you can make all hacks that you want =D. I hope that my software is helpful ^^.
Oh, now I use a stupid pc XD an old athlon based pc with 512 of ram >_>

PS. 200 download reach on my website O_O

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 01:00:43 pm »
This is incredibly promising!  I've always wanted to make a MMX hack, but it's still not quite possible but this is most definitely a major step up!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

azoreseuropa

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 08:26:51 am »
@Xeeynamo,

Good job!

Can you check your PM (Private Message) if you don't mind ? Thanks again. :)

EDIT: Thank you for replying back. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:03:20 am by Naruto »

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.4.5] Megaman X Editor (September/09/2009) [WITH SPRITE EDITOR!!!]
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 04:22:30 am »
Okay, new version released!!!
- Sprite Sheet implemented on Sprite Editor
 - LightBlue theme added (Now MMXE have an optimize graphic on WinXP)
 - MMXE now use Tahoma font
 - New functions on Text Editor
 - New colors in the menu of Text Editor
 - Length check on Text Editor
 - Small speed and size optimizations in the code of Palette Editor
 - Now in Palette Editor you can see the selected color in decimal and hex
 - Added a control on Checksum Fixer that says if the ROM is headered or not
 - Correct a critical bug in 0.4.0 version that crash when you open the editor
 - Correct a bug in Palette Editor that cause a malfunction on Reset button
     when you select a palette on the grid
 - Correct a bug in Sprite Editor that when you put a custom value for sprite or palette and
     you use the scrolling, return the old value in the textbox
 - Correct a bug in Sprite Editor that cause infinite the scrolling of sprite

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:12 am »

No, the editor have static addresses :( I'm not an expert of ROM hacking and for arrive at this point, I've studied for days the mmx rom! I've some problems because I don't know how I can find addresses like the level layout and I don't know if this game use compressed graphic and where there placed...

I'd be happy to help you find this stuff if you'd think it'd be useful. I actually toyed with MMX myself once, a good long time ago. Don't think any of that work remains, but given the physical starting address of one of the levels it should be a fairly simple matter to track it back to its origin.

Zero

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 01:07:46 pm »
Looks awesome bro, it's kinda hard to use lol but will get used to it. Uhm, if you can with your next version coming out, you think you'll be able to like, switch to whatever character you would like? lol y'know, like switch from Megaman x to Zero... or Sigma... or any other characters.. just a suggestion.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 02:26:11 pm »
That would require a massive amount of ASM hacking and is a project in and of itself.

DQ Chao284

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 07:57:15 am »
That would require a massive amount of ASM hacking and is a project in and of itself.

Well I know along the lines of Lunar Compress it registers the graphics and font compression data to be LC_RLE 3, at least denotes it as that, and well supposely that could take awhile for the next release.

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.5.0] Megaman X Editor (September/12/2009) [WITH SPRITE EDITOR!!!]
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 09:32:34 am »
Well, in the next release I want to do a lot of things on my editor ^^. The first of these is the sprite editor for ALL SNES ROM (like tile layer pro) and a special support of sprites and palettes for Megaman X2 and X3! I want to do it for example to take the sprites of X2 and import it on X1 ROM. I want to do a rewrite half of program (speed optimizations, source code most malleable and easy) and create a level viewer. I'm not a big programmator (I'm only a simple highschool student) and I don't know the asm of SNES, because this works are for me very hard and take me a while of time :-[

@Zero: I think that the editor isn't very hard to use xD. Switch the characters is VERY hard and I'm not able to do it >_<. Isn't simple because the game isn't programmed to support other characters (For example in MMX3 is very simple to switch X and Zero :P). MMX1 miss the movement of zero or sigma, the base sprites and commands like jump and dash and a lot of things which makes it almost impossible to make Zero or Sigma playable (This happens only in 2D games)

@DQ Chao284: When I've read your post I'm tried for the first time Lunar Compress, but it doesn't work on MMX :(

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
Re: [0.5.0] Megaman X Editor (September/12/2009) [WITH SPRITE EDITOR!!!]
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 11:30:52 am »
The switch from X to Zero was something I've actually been trying to figure out in MMX.  Not like, actually coding in crap to load the characters, but just doing a basic sprite hack.  But you'd have to figure out how the sprites are assembled and what not in order for that to work fully.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'