News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: MegaED X, the Megaman X hacking tool (Now with MMX2 support)  (Read 117257 times)

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Forgot totally the old Megaman X Editor that I was develop and wait the new version completely rewritten and full optimized!
There isn't much to say, only that this new editor is a lot faster than the previous editor, bugfree (I hope :P), the next release will have a complete support for MMX2, MMX3 and object editor.

DOWNLOAD.
My official blog to see more updates.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:03:13 pm by Xeeynamo »

Tauwasser

• Restricted Access
  • Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Megaman X Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:03:45 am »
Please show some screenshots and elaborate a bit more on the planned features, thanks.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:55 am »
You're using Vista or newer specific features such as WPF? or maybe C# 3.0 specific features? You'd be the first ROM hacking utility to ever do so thus far I think. Otherwise, why are you requiring .NET 3.5? You can target 2.0 and be much more accessible to non Vista or newer users. As we've seen around here, most XP users don't have .NET 3.5. We're lucky they have any version of .net at all, let alone are willing to upgrade anything.

Just trying to save you a headache or two since this cycle repeats often around here. Everybody who uses Visual Studio 2008 usually falls into this trap since it targets 3.5 by default. It was geared primarily for Vista after all.

It will also make it more likely to be compatible with Mono which would make it cross platform.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:29:12 am by Nightcrawler »
TransCorp - Nearing 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:27 am »
So... After seeing that the download link was an .exe on Rapidshare, I wasn't so sure I could trust it. Since I'm on Linux, though, what's the worst it could do besides not work?

Well, I downloaded it. It seems pretty legit. I opened two Megaman X roms (1.0 and 1.1, both headered) and messed around. I didn't actually edit anything, but the text viewer seems to work as expected. It's also the first program that I have ever successfully run through Mono, which is interesting.

So, if anyone else suspects that this is malware: I'm pretty confident that it isn't. Of course, I'm not responsible for any damages that may be done to your computer or your genitals by running this program.

This post has been brought to you by genuine concern and nothing better to do.
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:57:18 am »
You're using Vista or newer specific features such as WPF? or maybe C# 3.0 specific features? You'd be the first ROM hacking utility to ever do so thus far I think. Otherwise, why are you requiring .NET 3.5? You can target 2.0 and be much more accessible to non Vista or newer users. As we've seen around here, most XP users don't have .NET 3.5. We're lucky they have any version of .net at all, let alone are willing to upgrade anything.

Just trying to save you a headache or two since this cycle repeats often around here. Everybody who uses Visual Studio 2008 usually falls into this trap since it targets 3.5 by default. It was geared primarily for Vista after all.

It will also make it more likely to be compatible with Mono which would make it cross platform.
Oh, i know that is a problem for Windows XP Users :S but when i started this project, i has afraid that with .net framework 2.0 most functions don't works. Yesterday (Before the last compile) I've try to switch from 3.5 in 3.0 or 2.0, but the compilator give me most errors. Now I think that rewrite the entire program with .Net 2.0 in C# :P. Oh, is the second editor ^^ the first is it http://digitalwork.altervista.org/digitalwork/index.php?page=s3kse

Please show some screenshots and elaborate a bit more on the planned features, thanks.

cYa,

Tauwasser
See the first post now =)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:32 pm »
What errors do you get out of curiosity?
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:51:36 pm »
So... After seeing that the download link was an .exe on Rapidshare, I wasn't so sure I could trust it. Since I'm on Linux, though, what's the worst it could do besides not work?

Well, I downloaded it. It seems pretty legit. I opened two Megaman X roms (1.0 and 1.1, both headered) and messed around. I didn't actually edit anything, but the text viewer seems to work as expected. It's also the first program that I have ever successfully run through Mono, which is interesting.

So, if anyone else suspects that this is malware: I'm pretty confident that it isn't. Of course, I'm not responsible for any damages that may be done to your computer or your genitals by running this program.

This post has been brought to you by genuine concern and nothing better to do.
It's totally free of dangerous code, because the software don't touch the register or the system folder ^^. Because I don't know the english very well ( :banghead: ) you say that my software and other programs written with C#, runs with an emulator/interpretator on Linux? What distribution of Linux you use?

What errors do you get out of curiosity?
(I've translated the error from italian to english)
Code: [Select]
Error CS0234:  The type or the name of 'Linq' don't exist in 'System';=O wait, I've removed every referement on "Linq" and now work when I set .Net Framework 2.0!! =D now I test it on a Virtual OS with a clean setup of Windows XP

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:16:34 pm »
Error CS0234:  The type or the name of 'Linq' don't exist in 'System';=O wait, I've removed every referement on "Linq" and now work when I set .Net Framework 2.0!! =D now I test it on a Virtual OS with a clean setup of Windows XP

Awesome! Give this a try and see how compatible it might be with Mono for the Linux and Mac guys:

http://mono-project.com/MoMA

Many of my simpler .NET programs are compatible as is with no modification. Some have only a minor thing or two you can change. Maybe yours will work. Doesn't hurt to check. :)

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »

Awesome! Give this a try and see how compatible it might be with Mono for the Linux and Mac guys:

http://mono-project.com/MoMA

Many of my simpler .NET programs are compatible as is with no modification. Some have only a minor thing or two you can change. Maybe yours will work. Doesn't hurt to check. :)
Well, is compatible with Mono 2.4 :thumbsup: but in a clean setup of Windows XP, it don't work >.<, but probabilly WinXP haven't preinstalled .Net 2.0
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5024/erroridx.png

Lleu

• Poop Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:09:31 pm »
That's correct, XP does not come with .NET 2.0.  I think it only comes with .NET 1.0, which is old enough to be used by pretty much nothing other than the XP Media Center applications.  You will need to either install .NET 2.0 or Mono.  Or both.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »
That's great to hear! I'm sure people will appreciate your efforts. That's all that can be realistically expected of you in my opinion. .NET 2.0 doesn't come with XP, but many XP users have at least it by now. You can only bend over backwards so far as a developer for certain groups of stubborn users. Where you're at is a good compromise if you ask me. :)  :cookie:

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:23:22 am »
you say that my software and other programs written with C#, runs with an emulator/interpretator on Linux?
Correct. :) Not all programs written in C# (or other .NET languages) will run, but your program works fine.

What distribution of Linux you use?
Arch Linux i686, running Mono version 2.4
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.0.5] Megaman X Editor (July/8/2009)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 12:06:27 pm »
Release a new subversion :)
0.0.7:
-Improved the GUI Mode (Now the Text Editor window can be resized)
-Added more offsets for text
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:54:39 am by Xeeynamo »

FaustWolf

• View Profile
Re: [0.0.7] Megaman X Editor (July/10/2009)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 01:56:07 pm »
Xeeynamo, I can't wait for sprite editing capability in this! How possible do you think it would be to implement things like the double (or triple)-charge shots from X2 and X3? For that matter, any idea how much the game engines in X2 and X3 even differ from the first one?
Verve Fanworks: We shall shew thee here the force of our arms!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 11:23:37 pm »
That's great to hear! I'm sure people will appreciate your efforts.

Hear hear!

Availability on other platforms is always fantastic.  Bravo!

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
Re: [0.2] Megaman X Editor (July/15/2009)
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 08:05:04 am »
Xeeynamo, I can't wait for sprite editing capability in this! How possible do you think it would be to implement things like the double (or triple)-charge shots from X2 and X3? For that matter, any idea how much the game engines in X2 and X3 even differ from the first one?
I don't know if this is possible :S and I don't know the differences from the X2 and X3 engine...

Oh, the Text Editor is finish!! Now the final version 0.1 is released ;) look the first post

EDIT:
Preview of a new function of the version 0.2: Checkpoint editor and Border editor for the levels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0l9IJKlTPA&fmt=18

EDIT2:
Version 0.2 released! Oh, I don't know how develope a checksum fixer, someone can help me? =D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:26:27 am by Xeeynamo »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:52 am »
http://www.geocities.com/joecool22us/csum.htm

As an alternative, you can check out the source code to any emulator that tells you if the checksum is good or bad. ZSNES and SNES9x do so for starters.

Are you going to submit this utility to the site?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »
I tried this out yesterday, and I'm quite impressed.

However, I have one gripe (which is also a suggestion). For editing text, you limit the text to one line on the editor screen. You should make it a larger text box, so that the entire line can be viewed at once.

Other than that, awesome job!

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Xeeynamo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:22 am »
http://www.geocities.com/joecool22us/csum.htm

As an alternative, you can check out the source code to any emulator that tells you if the checksum is good or bad. ZSNES and SNES9x do so for starters.

Are you going to submit this utility to the site?
I submit this utility in next release ;) today I go in holiday (France =D) and I will bring my notebook. I've the sourcecode of snes9x and more for working on editor! When I will return, i will release a new version!!
I tried this out yesterday, and I'm quite impressed.

However, I have one gripe (which is also a suggestion). For editing text, you limit the text to one line on the editor screen. You should make it a larger text box, so that the entire line can be viewed at once.

Other than that, awesome job!

~DS
Thanks ^.^
Btw the window is resizable :D http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4452/51502675.jpg

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 01:49:57 pm »
I've looked at X3 and it seems that aside from a few differeces, it seems that they have similar engines.  I think adapting an editor for X2 and 3 shouldn't be hard once all the data for X has been collected.  Speaking of which, what data has yet to be found?