News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: pSX 1.4 with tracing!  (Read 10862 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: pSX 1.4 with tracing!
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:26:41 pm »
This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Neil

The Playstation emulator pSX has been updated to version 1.4! What's more, there is a debug compile version available up on the site with tracing support enabled. This should be of great aid to all of you who are toiling away on Playstation hacks.

Relevant Link: (http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/)

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
Re: Utilities: pSX 1.4 with tracing!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 02:20:50 pm »
Awesome. Does this release have support for VRAM debugging / watching? I want to see if a game I was looking at loads its own font or if it simply uses the bios font.
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

pSXAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 07:05:46 pm »
Hello,

I think there has been a slight misunderstanding here - the logging feature is not really "tracing" like some SNES emulators support - it logs all hardware accesses, DMAs etc, but nothing to do with the CPU (other than interrupts, and a few other things).   A log of instruction execution for a 33mhz r3000 would be absolutely huge!

If there are any other debugging features that I could add to make things easier though, let me know...

pSXAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 07:09:20 pm »
Awesome. Does this release have support for VRAM debugging / watching? I want to see if a game I was looking at loads its own font or if it simply uses the bios font.

There is a key that shows the VRAM contents (see Config/Misc) - also there is a feature in the debugger called "GPU capture" which allows you to capture all GPU activity then step through each primitive to see how the screen is drawn.  The GPU capture also records, for each primitive, which instruction wrote the memory, so you can use it to track down which code draws certain things (eg. menus, text, etc..)

btw: if you use GPU capture be sure to enable "Show VRAM" in the GPU menu - otherwise you may not see the primtives being drawn as you step through the tree (in most cases the screen is double buffered and the GPU draws to the "back" buffer whilst the "front" buffer is being displayed).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 07:11:04 pm by pSXAuthor »

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 08:04:32 pm »
Incidently, I could use full CPU instruction logging.

PCSXTrace just locks up if I try doing a full, unfiltered trace...

pSXAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 11:27:30 pm »

Okay, I'll see what I can do for the next version - like I say though a CPU instruction log of a 33mhz processor can easily reach gigabytes in size for even a few seconds of execution!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 09:02:38 am »

Okay, I'll see what I can do for the next version - like I say though a CPU instruction log of a 33mhz processor can easily reach gigabytes in size for even a few seconds of execution!

Why don't you use some sort of squelch option like most other loggers? They eliminate repeat instructions greatly reducing the size of logs.  Look at a CPU log, there's ALOT of redundancy.  I'm confident you can get the size down to much more manageable sizes.

Furthermore, a few seconds of execution is probably the MAXIMUM anyone would be interested in logging. You shouldn't start logging until whatever it is you're looking for is happening and then quit immediately after.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:18:11 am »
Furthermore, a few seconds of execution is probably the MAXIMUM anyone would be interested in logging. You shouldn't start logging until whatever it is you're looking for is happening and then quit immediately after.

Except for when you don't actually know what you're looking for. *cough*  ::)
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 09:36:36 am »

I'm not following this. Give me an example. I have never dumped a trace file unless I was looking for SOMETHING. Why would you dump one if you're not looking for anything?

For example, you want to do something with a menu.  Log when the menu comes up on the screen.  You want to do something with the text routine. log the text window coming up.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 09:46:42 am »
You're right. Lack of sleep must've caused a flash back to my pre-asm days when I used to dick around with lordtech's snes9x. :P Carry on.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Ultimate

• RPG and Strategy Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 09:56:29 am »
THat's great psx, I'm a fan of this emulator ^^ gogogo

pSXAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 05:05:47 pm »

I'm not following this. Give me an example. I have never dumped a trace file unless I was looking for SOMETHING. Why would you dump one if you're not looking for anything?

For example, you want to do something with a menu.  Log when the menu comes up on the screen.  You want to do something with the text routine. log the text window coming up.

For examples like this the gpu capture feature of pSXs debugger is a much better solution.  I will try to find time to write a tutorial soon, but in the meantime feel free to hassle me on the IRC channel if you need help.

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 05:47:15 pm »
Not to bump this, but... The emulator is complaining about a missing 'd3dx9_26.dll' file. Which is funny because it's supposed to be part of DirectX 9.0c (which is installed).
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 06:55:11 pm »
Quote from: pSX homepage
If you get an error message saying d3dx9_26.dll is missing you can try downloading it from here

kvachu

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 09:50:15 pm »
this emu is exactly what I was looking for...gj

THat's great psx, I'm a fan of this emulator ^^ gogogo
me too ^___^