News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Star Wars (Namco) 1.0  (Read 7094 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Star Wars (Namco) 1.0
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:12:28 am »

Update By: Gil Galad

Today, I present you with the 100% complete Japanese to English translation of the game “Star Wars (Namco)”. “Star Wars (Namco)” is based on the movie “Star Wars: A New Hope”, with a lot of differences in the game.

The game is a 2D sidescrolling action game and several other missions, such as flying your X-Wing out in space, shooting at Tie Fighters, and the last mission, flying your X-Wing to take out the Death Star. I estimate that you'll get about 45 minutes of enjoyment out of this game, should you play all the way to the end and beat the game. Probably, the most difficult area to pass in the game would be the first visit to the Death Star, so a map has been provided by bbitmaster to help get to the end.

I'm almost certain that everything has been translated in this game. Honookatana translated the scripts, so thanks to him.

Staff Note - You can find this archived on RHDN or at the authors site linked below.

Relevant Link: (http://gilgalad.arc-nova.org/)

Pluvius

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Star Wars (Namco) 1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »
I played a translated version of this a few years ago.  Does this have any major differences, or is it just a hacking/translating exercise that you decided to put up?

Rob

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:06:11 pm »
I believe Gil started this before the other patch, but since he was absent for several years  :), somebody else beat him to it.
Still, good see he came through with his.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:12:16 pm »
The other one must have gotten finished while I was away as well. I did not know there was another translation. Either way this is pretty sweet. I always did like a majority of the Star Wars games, although I am not a huge fan of the franchise. When I was young though...
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:08:44 pm »
Yes, I was gone for a couple of years. When I returned, come to find out a patch had been released. The differences are that there was an untranslated screen in the game, the hidden escape path in Yavin.  When you get to a certain forested area, you bring up your force menu and then use Han Solo, which opens up the path. I can understand why this area was missed, it uses a very small font set, that is not part of the main font, even though the text is located with the main text block.

Also, the translation appears to be rough in areas, as well as the somewhat raw sounding names in the other patch.

I also have a different font in this game, which I think looks a bit better.

Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”

Gil Galad

• View Profile
    • Homepage of Gil Galad
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:22:51 pm »
I was unaware of the issues until recently. However, it's good news for you Nestopia 1.37 users, and perhaps other versions that support hacked ROMs and mapper 19. The translation hack now works better in other emulators. Not only have I addressed some of the incompatibilities, the force menu has been redone to use single font tiles instead of squishy tiles. This new version is 1.10. A big thanks to Cahos Rahne Veloza for testing and suggestions to improve the patch a bit more.

Perhaps and hopefully soon, the new release will be updated here. Until then, you can get the patch at my website. Here are a couple screen shots for you, for the update.

Homepage of Gil Galad || New Forum

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ”