News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: MooJelly - Super Mario Land 2/3 level editor  (Read 21382 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Utilities: MooJelly - Super Mario Land 2/3 level editor
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:56 pm »
Don’t take it too personally. What you can get out of a single forum thread is often a mere echo chamber; people who have a differing opinion (or none) may be unwilling to start a boss battle with their colleagues over a small point, and the end result is that everyone agrees with each other violently.

It is, unfortunately, the nature of the Interbutt.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

op89x

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
SmellyMoo obviously spent a long time on this and is very proud of it.  And he probably should be.  However, the serial key is what's keeping me from trying it.  I can understand wanting some control over your prgram, but I think that if you really intended other people to use it, you should make it as easy as possible for them to do so.

When someone cracks it, I'll try it.

I said it once, and I'll say it again.

The point is, if you really wanted to play a SML2 hack that you didn't know the ins and outs of, as you said, then releasing the program to the public and waiting for hacks to be released is the way to go.  Serial key registration put myself and several others off; we didn't even attempt to use the program.  This is counter-productive if you want to play levels created by others.

I'm very sorry if you took anything anyone said personally, but the fact of the matter is, people here are mostly opposed to serial key registration, not you or your program.

SmellyMoo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 01:31:47 pm »
thanks smkd, InVerse, BRPXQZME and op89x you really helped put all this into perspective and have made very good points.

I was definitely going about it all wrong, and you are indeed correct that if I wanted a new SML2 hack I should let people get on with it, I did however want to be the first person to release a full SML2 hack, so I guess my objectives clashed quite considerably!

and I can understand peoples hatred of serials, I thought people would not mind them if they understood my reasons, but in hindsight I guess my reasons were a little confusing and serial was slightly over the top.

thank you for clarifying exactly the problem people (probably) had with serials. I no longer take offense and will try to finish the editor asap, time being a problem at the moment.

the new version will only display a quick nag screen on patching to ask people to send me there level hack (to inform them of where to send it)

-Rory

MooJelly - Super Mario 2/3 level editor

op89x

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:25 pm »
I'll tell you what:  when you release the new version, I'll give it a shot.  If I create any new levels with it, I'll send one to you.

SmellyMoo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »
:-)

and I will be a happy chuck. I see the error of my ways.

new version has just been released, technically its an interim, but wanted to release a registration free version asap, so the feature I was working on is experimental and just views (main map paths)

if you want it before this site updates go to googlecode! (link on my signature) as its better for releases of programs to be honest, want people to post bugs there as I check it, this I hardly do.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:03:59 pm by SmellyMoo »
-Rory

nosignaldetected

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:59 pm »
This may sound strange to some of you, but personally I'm way more excited about the prospect of full SML3:Wario Land support than editing SML2. I just think Wario Land has much more potential as a hack (for me anyhow), due to the more action-packed nature of the game.

And I personally prefer WL to SML2 anyway, but that's just me.

SmellyMoo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 06:25:09 am »
really? fair play, unfortunately work won't start on that until sml2b is released, as that is taking up my time.

figure sml2 is more important as its been around longer without a proper hack
-Rory