News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Gideon Does Stuff!  (Read 27672 times)

InVerse

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Gideon Does Stuff!
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 09:09:42 pm »
I'd just like to take a moment to reconfirm that robots are lame.

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 06:51:52 am »
Are we not men?

Deuce

• A forum is nothing without its members.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:59 am »
Plenty of us aren't like that, sir. It's a little unpleasant to hear the fanbase described in those terms because no matter how much I tell myself I'm one of the few, it still feels like a broad brush with which to tar us all. :(
Realistically speaking, if you genuinely feel that the description does not apply to you, then it should not offend. It very well may apply to a good 99% of the fanbase.

Other than being overweight, may I inquire what other entirely benign status might cause my opinion to become invalid?
I can't speak on anyone's behalf other than my own, but for my part, ultimately, the only opinion that is valid is my own, unless I consciously choose to take those of others into account.  Being a fan of the source material does not entitle one to a say in how the final product turns out.  It does not, in fact, entitle one to even a copy of the final product at all.
It's a shame.  I kind of liked this place.

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

Soluzar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 09:37:55 am »
I can't speak on anyone's behalf other than my own, but for my part, ultimately, the only opinion that is valid is my own, unless I consciously choose to take those of others into account.  Being a fan of the source material does not entitle one to a say in how the final product turns out.  It does not, in fact, entitle one to even a copy of the final product at all.
Of course I understand that, but the implication is that the opinion of overweight people matters significantly less than the opinion of those who are not overweight. Why would one choose to single out one particular group to say that their opinion does not count? I am (as I should hopefull have demonstrated) quite content that my opinions should not influence the final product, but I take offense to the implication that my opinion should matter less than that of another randomly selected individual.

Deuce

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 09:47:17 am »
Of course I understand that, but the implication is that the opinion of overweight people matters significantly less than the opinion of those who are not overweight. Why would one choose to single out one particular group to say that their opinion does not count?
I think it's because hairy, sweaty moobs are gross, but that's just a guess.  >:D

In all seriousness, though, I'd ask RedComet, since he was the one who made the comment originally.  I hold all others' opinions in equally low esteem. ;)

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

Soluzar

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 10:13:55 am »
I think it's because hairy, sweaty moobs are gross, but that's just a guess.  >:D
No argument there, I could stand to lose some weight, although I'm quite some way from being that guy Bob in Fight Club.  I'm just saying it's no reason to treat me differently on the internet.

In all seriousness, though, I'd ask RedComet, since he was the one who made the comment originally.  I hold all others' opinions in equally low esteem. ;)
I did ask RedComet, albeit through the medium of this thread. I'm perfectly happy for you to hold all other opinions in equally low esteem, at least that has the benefit of being completely fair. I'm just not cool with the idea that RedComet should treat the opinions of others differently for a reason that has nothing to do with what they say on the internet. It's not that big of a step from discounting the opinions of gay people, christians or even (dare I say...) people of other races.

Deuce

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
No argument there, I could stand to lose some weight, although I'm quite some way from being that guy Bob in Fight Club.  I'm just saying it's no reason to treat me differently on the internet.

You have to make a few rock opera albums first.

Soluzar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 11:12:23 am »

You have to make a few rock opera albums first.
Ya know, I actually forgot who played that character until you reminded me. :laugh:

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »
I'm gonna go off on a limb and say nobody else picked up on the fact that I wasn't being serious (note the :P at the end of the post). Otherwise I wouldn't have spent 20 minutes reading essays about the evils of stereotyping people on the internet. Once again just to clarify: I was kidding.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 01:13:46 pm »
I wasn't being serious (note the :P at the end of the post).

It's not really a smiley that indicates that, imo - it's a bit ambiguous.

Soluzar

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2008, 01:48:28 pm »
I'm gonna go off on a limb and say nobody else picked up on the fact that I wasn't being serious (note the :P at the end of the post). Otherwise I wouldn't have spent 20 minutes reading essays about the evils of stereotyping people on the internet. Once again just to clarify: I was kidding.
I'll take your word for that, but as Creothcean just said... it seemed ambiguous to me, even with the smileyface. I'm not going to let it affect my life either way, just the same as I won't curl up and die when translations aren't done the way I'd prefer, but still... that kind of comment was unexpected in a community of fellow nerds. ;)

I guess I came off as oversensitive here, and I won't deny the charge. It just came as a shock when one of the things I like best about the internet is being judged based on what I say rather than how I look.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2008, 01:52:59 pm »
Shut up tubby ;)

Okay, my (real!) cacomorphobia aside, this doesn’t need to get any stupider, does it? I’ve already hurled twice. :<
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

danberado

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 02:17:50 pm »
Yeah, I'm going to say that it was blatantly clear that he was kidding, and I was subsequently surprised by the overreactions.

9volt Kappa

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 03:02:32 pm »
Most Rom hackers have boobs and they're not girls. So their opinions don't count. Tongue
  ;) I just had to,sorry

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:18 pm »
This thread is done after being a.) reported for moderation b.) containing offensive posts c.) trolling useless posts d.) and some stupidity.

Between the 4, that certainly deserves a lock...
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations