News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Gideon Does Stuff!  (Read 27628 times)

snesmaster40

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Gideon Does Stuff!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 04:37:28 pm »
Ooo Gideon posted some new pictures of Magical Drop 2 at the Aeon Genesis board
Are we not men?

liquidocelot201

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 06:58:46 pm »
I HOPE TO GOD it's either Star Ocean Blue Sphere or something SRW-related.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 04:23:47 pm »
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe SRW Alpha... But then again, some other projects look far more completed... :/
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 02:17:45 pm »
I've wet myself in anticipation!

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 08:22:58 am »
Just don´t, you know, complain. And I know some of you are GOING to. We went with canon wherever possible.
We've had this thread before (Camille/Kamiyu.) Time to track down SRWA and SRWAG.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:51:03 am by Guadozoku »

Deuce

• A forum is nothing without its members.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:26 pm »
Just don´t, you know, complain. And I know some of you are GOING to. We went with canon wherever possible.
We've had this thread before (Camille/Kamiyu.) Time to track down SRWA and SRWAG.  ;)

Personally, in a case like that, I'd offer a rude gesture to anyone insisting on Romaji.  Berusaiyu = Versailles, too. ;P

Never understood the whole "gotta please the fanbase" thing when it comes to translating.  If you're not doing it for (and to) your own satisfaction, then what's the point?
It's a shame.  I kind of liked this place.

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 01:22:46 pm »
Are we not men?

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:38 pm »
Never understood the whole "gotta please the fanbase" thing when it comes to translating.  If you're not doing it for (and to) your own satisfaction, then what's the point?

The problem here is the fanbase itself. If they're not appeased, they complain. Very, very loudly. You get post after post after post of people bitching about this name's wrong and that name's wrong, and your own satisfaction is thus diminished 'cuz you're busy being pissed at people who just won't shut the hell up and play the damn game already >:(

Deuce

• A forum is nothing without its members.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 03:15:37 pm »
The problem here is the fanbase itself. If they're not appeased, they complain. Very, very loudly. You get post after post after post of people bitching about this name's wrong and that name's wrong, and your own satisfaction is thus diminished 'cuz you're busy being pissed at people who just won't shut the hell up and play the damn game already >:(

Well, Gid, it's ultimately your project, and thus, your decision.  But personally, I'd tell 'em to go find a box of rusty nails and offer suggestions on where they can place them.  But that's me.  I personally would never settle for anything less than what I want to see in my projects. And I'm not impugning your integrity (I hope you and I know each other well enough to know that's never been the case).  But I do think you're doing yourself a grave disservice if you're at all unhappy with any part of your work, solely because a bunch of random twits on the internet won't shut up.  If they don't like it, let them play the game in Japanese.  I put it this way in my FAQ on SSRPG:

Q: What's the English title going to be?
A: "Samurai Shodown: Tales of the Bushido"

Q: Why are you calling it "Samurai Shodown" instead of "Samurai Spirits?"
A: Because the name of the series is "Samurai Shodown" outside of Japan. The translated name of this game will reflect that.

Q: But isn't "Samurai Spirits RPG" the actual title of the game?
A: No, the original title is "Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden." This translates more or less to "A new take on Samurai Spirits: A set of bushido stories."

Q: How accurate is the translation going to be?
A: This patch is going to be done up properly. The only Romaji you're going to see is for proper names, like for people and places, and words that have been appropriated into English, like samurai, katana and dojo. Movenames will be translated to English. You will not see any uses of Japanese honorifics. No -chan, -kun, -sama or any of that. No, I will not change my mind on this, and no, I will not do an alternate version.

Q: But it's not accurate if it's not full of Japanese words!
A: Then play it without the patch.  I'm not interested in catering to obsessive fanboys.

Ultimately, they can take it or leave it.  But if you're doing it for any reason other than your own satisfaction, then you're doing it for the wrong reason.
It's a shame.  I kind of liked this place.

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 08:53:46 pm »

Can I consider that a confirmation?  ;D

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 09:24:14 pm »
No. I was merely explaining how hateful a lot of SRW fans can be :( Fire Emblem fans too, for that matter.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 12:05:36 am »
Most SRW fans have boobs and they're not girls. So their opinions don't count. :P
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

valitoria

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 02:51:53 am »
SO: Blue Sphere Trans.
For Christmas!

:P

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 12:27:28 am »
SO: Blue Sphere Trans.
For Christmas!

His site mentions going with canon, translation wise. That would be pointless a month before a new translation of so2 is released and that canon changes.

valitoria

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 02:11:26 am »
0.o

Well, at least I like to see some news about his SO - BS trans.

I'm not expecting any completed translation of this game on Christmas, I was expecting a more smooth and ongoing move on his translation for the game.

snesmaster40

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 07:35:56 am »
It's gotta be Dragonball Z Super Butoden 2.

:D
Are we not men?

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 06:55:25 pm »
Most SRW fans have boobs and they're not girls.

*Shudder*
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Soluzar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 01:36:56 pm »
No. I was merely explaining how hateful a lot of SRW fans can be :( Fire Emblem fans too, for that matter.
Plenty of us aren't like that, sir. It's a little unpleasant to hear the fanbase described in those terms because no matter how much I tell myself I'm one of the few, it still feels like a broad brush with which to tar us all. :(

I may disagree with your choice of translations, I reserve that right as a free individual. I would never offer you any hostility on that basis though.

Most SRW fans have boobs and they're not girls. So their opinions don't count. :P
Such a delightful sentiment.

Other than being overweight, may I inquire what other entirely benign status might cause my opinion to become invalid?

It is always good to know these things in advance so that I don't waste time opening my mouth. I have some rather choice suggestions, but naturally I don't wish to promote hostility so I shall refrain from offering them. After all, it's entirely possible my opinion doesn't count.

As hard as it might be to believe, I don't wish to sound like an angry troll, it's just... it's hard to not feel insulted by some of the posts in this thread. It's really hard to just ignore comments like these, even if they aren't that important in the grand scheme.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:01:10 pm by Soluzar »

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 02:39:18 pm »

*looks inside shirt* I may not be a body builder, but those don't look like boobs. >_> I guess I'm in the minority! n_n

Well, like Deuce and other translators have said (in other occasions in ways more or less the same): Its your hack. You translate it the way you want to translate it.

As for the Camille/Kamiyu thing... I was surprised to read "yu" in his name... Although they say "Camille" in the Japanese version... I say go for Kamille, makes it manlier than Camille. XD But y'know, do your own thing and we'll get used to it because in the end, we don't know enough Japanese to complain.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Soluzar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 07:22:36 pm »
Well, like Deuce and other translators have said (in other occasions in ways more or less the same): Its your hack. You translate it the way you want to translate it.
That's not the point, at least in so far as I understand it. The point is that he will receive criticism, as he has done in the past, from fans of the franchise who believe that their way of romanising names is the only way.

As for the Camille/Kamiyu thing... I was surprised to read "yu" in his name... Although they say "Camille" in the Japanese version... I say go for Kamille, makes it manlier than Camille. XD But y'know, do your own thing and we'll get used to it because in the end, we don't know enough Japanese to complain.
Uh... I don't think anyone was soliciting comments on name romanisation to begin with.  In fact... I think that's exactly what irritates Zhi so much in the first place, that everyone feels like their opinion should count. As you said, there's only one opinion that counts, and it's not because he's an egotistical god of romhacking (although I don't exclude that as a possibility ^_~)  - it is because if you can't please everyone, then you might as well please yourself, since whichever way you go you're going to irritate someone.

Just by way of an example, if there's a K on the beginning of [C|K]ami[lle|yu] [V|B]idan's name, that might please you, but it would doubtless annoy many people. I for one wouldn't prefer that spelling, but since I like playing games in English... I'm not about to care excessively. As for the other issues associated with that name, the ille/iyu thing is because Japanese loanwords are spelled in katakana so as to best approximate the pronunciation of the original word, rather than the original (roman alphabet) spelling. You'll notice if you listen closely to Fa, who is the best example, that she often audibly pronounces the "yu" when she's angry. The rest of the time, and for most of the other characters, it approximates the "ille" sound simply because that's the way they make that sound in their language.  As for his surname, the V and B sounds are all but interchangeable in Japanese loanwords, since Japanese really doesn't have much of a V sound naturally.  For a really good example, liisten to the V Gundam OP, "Stand Up to the Big Tree!" or something along those lines. XD

I'm really not trying to light a fire under Gideon's gradually simmering rage, I'm really just posting to explain a few things. It is a matter of indifference to me how the romanisations are done, because... face it, official releases are just the same way. You get some witheringly bloody awful romanisations in official Gundam media. Examples are available on request.

I would also like to point out that it's not been in any way confirmed that any form of SRW will in fact be the game in question. In fact it is entirely possible that the supposed release of any game at all has in fact been put back by this discussion. That is one of Gideon's tools for dealing with the more annoying so-called fans.