News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: MOTHER 3 Fan Translation Complete  (Read 35971 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Translations: MOTHER 3 Fan Translation Complete
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2009, 09:04:57 am »
My name’s Alfie. I kind of assumed they gleaned that off the part where they want you to put in your real name :<
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
Actually, those links I found still don't provide a decent interpretation, nor what was in the original Japanese that inspired it.  So, if you have any news, do tell...

(Really, what could be the Japanese equivalent of cockney?)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:37 pm »
There are a few dialects in Japan that are so incomprehensible to most people that they have to be subtitled when shown on TV. Apparently, this was one of ’em. Someone in one of your links said it was Nagasaki-ben, though I can neither vouch for nor disprove that.

There is no real Japanese equivalent for cockney; the difference in the stereotypes mean nothing really matches, and I know of no rhyming slang in Japanese, rhyme rarely being of any significance in that language (Japanese poetry’s mostly about syllables). Sometimes Kansai-ben gets dubbed as cockney, though.

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2009, 06:54:41 pm »
Wow, congrats to the Mother 3 Trans, 1 year old already?
Time really does come fast. And the next update was a long wait, but hopefully worth it.

*Downloads the patch*

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2009, 12:53:16 am »
Their original Japanese text is here if you're interested: http://book.geocities.jp/onnelist/mother3-4-3

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2009, 01:21:50 am »
Now I see why they changed it to Cockney in the English version.  :o

And I may be mistaken, but is that a Kyushu dialect they're speaking?
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:37 pm »
It looks like a Kyushu dialect, according to a Google Search.  I don't think it's really possible to equate it to any specific dialect of English.  Although, in my experience, in Japan most non-standard dialects of Japanese are considered low-class, and are usually associated with the countryside.  They could probably all be equally rendered in English using a dialect associated with country folk (like some varieties of Southern U.S. English, for example).

Which makes me wonder: why Cockney? Cockney is a city dialect, isn't it?
Sign THIS!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 01:57:19 pm »
I suppose it’s more iconic to the American ear than, say, Black Country, Brummie, or Yorkshire dialects.

Bond697

• View Profile
    • The Final fantasy 4 Reference Book
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 07:41:32 pm »
It looks like a Kyushu dialect, according to a Google Search.  I don't think it's really possible to equate it to any specific dialect of English.  Although, in my experience, in Japan most non-standard dialects of Japanese are considered low-class, and are usually associated with the countryside.  They could probably all be equally rendered in English using a dialect associated with country folk (like some varieties of Southern U.S. English, for example).

Which makes me wonder: why Cockney? Cockney is a city dialect, isn't it?

not that it's mother-related, but what are the odds of 2 of the very same bruce campbell avatars from 2 different people.  kinda funny. 

for the sake of kinda staying on topic, i'm part way through my re-playthrough of the 3 mother games.  beat eb0 and just got dropped off in threek in eb.