News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ganbare Goemon 2 translated!  (Read 23230 times)

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
Re: Translations: Ganbare Goemon 2 translated!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 01:56:25 pm »
Pretty keen to play this, but nestopia is giving me a mapper error after i apply the patch with lunar IPS. The rom works fine unpatched, so is there something i have to do before i apply it? (ad or remove header etc) Or is it just a Nestopia issue?

The header is probably wrong in your rom.  Many NES emus know the checksums of numerous roms and will load up the correct mapper based on the checksum rather than the header.  When you apply the patch, the checksum changes and the emulator is forced to trust the header.  So, you may not notice that your header is incorrect until you apply a patch.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54:41 am »
Pretty keen to play this, but nestopia is giving me a mapper error after i apply the patch with lunar IPS. The rom works fine unpatched, so is there something i have to do before i apply it? (ad or remove header etc) Or is it just a Nestopia issue?

Cheers.

It's a Nestopia issue, it no longer supports mapper 23 unless the game's checksum is listed in its internal database. This makes quite a few translations unplayable in the latest versions of Nestopia, like Crisis Force and Kid Dracula.

There's four options, and by far the easiest is to soft-patch the ROM, that way the original ROM's checksum is recognized and supported. You can also use Nestopia 1.37, since that was the last version that supported mapper 23.

You can use an external database and just add the translation to it. This is the option I personally go with since I don't much like soft-patching myself. It's easy to export the internal database and make/save additions, and if you want I can figure out the entry you'd need for this translation with not much effort at all, so let me know.

The last option is to convert the ROM to UNIF format, and really nobody wants to do that.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »
Glad to hear I dont have to do anything except mention it in the readme. It looks like I'm going to be releasing an update patch on the 31st along with another game.

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10:05 am »
Alrighty - yeah i noticed kid dracula wasn't working a little while ago when i tried to play it. Thanks spinner.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 11:14:27 am »

Cheers.

It's a Nestopia issue, it no longer supports mapper 23 unless the game's checksum is listed in its internal database. This makes quite a few translations unplayable in the latest versions of Nestopia, like Crisis Force and Kid Dracula.

There's four options, and by far the easiest is to soft-patch the ROM, that way the original ROM's checksum is recognized and supported. You can also use Nestopia 1.37, since that was the last version that supported mapper 23.

You can use an external database and just add the translation to it. This is the option I personally go with since I don't much like soft-patching myself. It's easy to export the internal database and make/save additions, and if you want I can figure out the entry you'd need for this translation with not much effort at all, so let me know.

The last option is to convert the ROM to UNIF format, and really nobody wants to do that.

Why the hell isn't mapper 23 supported anymore?

Edit: Taken from Nestopia's readme:

- Mappers 21, 23, 25 and 185 no longer supported using plain iNES files because of format restrictions.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 12:09:08 am »
Does anyone know how to add my translation to external database or whatever?

Thanks to ReyVGM, you can wake up these sleeping guys in the game with a microphone and Nestopia is only emulator that can emulate that thing.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 12:31:44 am »
To the ones having problems playing this on Nestopia:

Just leave the rom unpatched and put the patch in the same directory as the rom (or the patches directory of nestopia) and select "Auto Patch" and "bypass CRC validation" (Options --> Path), and it will play fine.

Pennywise:

The goemon 2's readme still says you are missing 12 text strings, but on previous posts I sent you a save where string 11 was and you said you found string 12 too.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 12:35:19 am »
Well, 11 and 12 were found and fixed, but there were 14 then. So the numbers have been updated and 11 and 12 are different from the first time around.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 12:43:33 am »
Ah, gotcha. You got mail again by the way.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »
Does anyone know how to add my translation to external database or whatever?

It's a little more complicated if you don't like auto-patching (like me), but if you play a lot of Konami translations (like me) this'll save you a lot of time in the long run. :)

First, you'll need the Nestopia database as a standalone file. To get that, go here and download the Nestopia v1.40 Source Code, and extract the file NstDatabase.zip. That zip has a single file, NstDatabase.xml. Extract that to the same directory you have Nestopia in.

Now, in Nestopia, go to Options -> Database. Click the "External" checkbox, and below that click "Browse" and select the NstDatabase.xml you just got. Click OK, and now Nestopia will recognize all new entries that you add.

For Ganbare Goemon 2, add this entry to NstDatabase.xml:

Code: [Select]
    <game>
        <cartridge system="Famicom" dump="ok" crc="62EC81CE" sha1="2DDEF0067443FBB275092257E9AACFF22D13D34D">
            <board type="KONAMI-VRC-2" mapper="23">
                <prg size="128k" />
                <chr size="128k" />
                <chip type="Konami VRC II">
                    <pin number="3" function="PRG A1" />
                    <pin number="4" function="PRG A0" />
                    <pin number="21" function="CHR A10" />
                    <pin number="22" function="CHR A16" />
                    <pin number="23" function="CHR A11" />
                    <pin number="24" function="CHR A13" />
                    <pin number="25" function="CHR A14" />
                    <pin number="26" function="CHR A12" />
                    <pin number="27" function="CHR A15" />
                    <pin number="28" function="NC" />
                </chip>
            </board>
        </cartridge>
    </game>

This is for version 1.01 only, of course. For future (or past!) versions, just replace the crc and sha1 numbers with the values for the ROM (without header) that you want to play.