News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Opera of the Red Moon (my Castlevania game)  (Read 80210 times)

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
Re: Opera of the Red Moon (my Castlevania game)
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 10:14:42 pm »
Everything is looking great, so far Gem. I guess I should post up the stuff I should be working on when school and Cadence don't have my attention.

It's-a vampire! It still needs a ton of work and animations though.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 03:41:39 am »
Here I have some tracks: http://www.4shared.com/file/60292628/45241601/Eternal_Night_Videogame_Remixes_Vol3_By_Gadesx.html
Link's not working. :/

Here other link of megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=I1RNI08S

and other thing, please make a underground caves in the castle!!  beer
That was planned from beginning. Wink

very cool  :thumbsup:

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 12:42:14 pm »
Little update time? I've been working a little more on menus, equipment in particular. This is how it looks right now:

Flipping issues with flat polygons should be gone now. Currently working on pad input and lists. Scrolling can be really tricky. :/

Question for Spanish and French speakers: is the small font suitable for your languages?

I think I've actually included more symbols than necessary, but you can never know with those pesky accents.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:28:37 pm »
Won't the larger font also need the extra symbols - or is it not finished yet?

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 02:59:05 pm »
Little update time? I've been working a little more on menus, equipment in particular. This is how it looks right now:

Flipping issues with flat polygons should be gone now. Currently working on pad input and lists. Scrolling can be really tricky. :/

Question for Spanish and French speakers: is the small font suitable for your languages?

I think I've actually included more symbols than necessary, but you can never know with those pesky accents.

well im Spanish, :)
for spanish need "Ñ" in every size of fonts.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 03:30:22 pm »
Won't the larger font also need the extra symbols - or is it not finished yet?
It's unfinished, right. Both fonts will contain the same characters with different size. 8x12 the smaller font, 16x16 the big one.

well im Spanish, :)
for spanish need "Ñ" in every size of fonts.
That's why I said to check only the small font. Is that fine at least?

Berion

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 03:37:27 pm »
Awesome project!  :thumbsup:

It's any chance of adding Polish special characters?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:17 pm »
I don't really see the use of those in a multi 6 translation where Polish is not included. :p Unless they are only 3, or I'll have to fork the font file to use a brand new set (the current limit is 112 characters for each set).

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 04:12:35 pm »
Gemini, you mentioned you need to do some GPU trickery for the menus. I assume you're referring to the Playstation port and not the Windows port. What specifically were you referring to? Myself only having a PC game programming background don't see anything that would be too difficult to do on a PC. Obviously a PC's capabilities are far beyond the Playstation though.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 04:48:57 pm »
I feel like a magician trying to explain his tricks now. :p

Ok, let's start with the menu texture:

It's a series of 16 color images assembled into a 256x256 page (Psx vram is divided into 256x256 pages), uploaded in series when you open the menu through a simple load+decompression routine.
Let's go for a fast demonstration with the first trick: the stone background. As you can see from the image above, the texture (0,0,128,128) is completely gray, while it's dark green/blue in game, and it's also much bigger but not stretched. This is because I used the SPRT (Psx sprite primitives) color parameters to alter the rgb values (it will probably be customizable). I've also applied a gouraud shaded polygon to blend the light level differently for each corner of the texture. Now, the loop effect is a little more complicated because it uses a texture window. Texture windows (called DR_TWIN) are particular primitives used to alter the size of a vram page so that you can print huge repeated textures using a single SPRT (not sure if you can do the same with flat polygon, but I doubt it). Unfortunately DR_TWIN doesn't work with all w/h values, but only with powers of 2 (or was it 8?), so it's really trick to use sometimes.

And this is just one of the examples of the neat things you can do with the Psx GPU tricks. :) Source here for those interested.
Now, if I could only get why stretched polygons are not working correctly on the Psp emulator. :p

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 05:24:29 pm »
Hi I'm french and I can tell you that you have all the necessary symbols for my language.
Now let me know if you need some help for the french script.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 11:13:27 pm »
Pixel artz!

I'm drawing myself the animation for sword/dagger attacks, but there's something wrong but I can't really tell what it is. Anybody up for some quick fixes? Also, anybody interested in making 3-4 frames for Maria in punching pose? I'd need that for knuckles. X_x

Now let me know if you need some help for the french script.
We need a complete script first. :p At the moment the only actual text can bee seen only in menus, and it's too much. :-\

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 11:39:59 pm »
Seeing as there's no sign they'll ever bring SOTN to PC, this looks to be the next best thing. :o

Hernan

• Batankyu
    • View Profile
    • Puyo Nexus
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 05:30:52 am »
Pixel artz!

I'm drawing myself the animation for sword/dagger attacks, but there's something wrong but I can't really tell what it is. Anybody up for some quick fixes? Also, anybody interested in making 3-4 frames for Maria in punching pose? I'd need that for knuckles. X_x
Looks nice. In regards to the hair-> it will probably look better if you make the hair go up fast and make it flow down slowly.
Translated Puyo Puyo games here!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
I feel like a magician trying to explain his tricks now. :p

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff. I enjoy reading about such techniques. The more techniques and tricks you absorb, the better equipped you are to solve your own similar issues later. :)

I love when the light bulb goes off when I read about someone who used a different approach I never thought about before to something.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:46 pm »

Ungh, pink-induced blindness >_<

Yes, the font is OK for Spanish. Very cool project as well :thumbsup:
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:21 pm »
Font set is complete:

Added all the special 16x16 characters, as well as ¡¿ for both sets (used for Spanish). Now I've got to plan how to implement the Japanese fonts, since all I'm using is a 256x256 4bpp image with multiple palettes. I guess the old trick of the palette mask will do fine. It should grant me about 1200 12x12 symbols for the bigger set.

Still no news from any pixel artists. Guess I'll ask for help at Pixelation.

andwhyisit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 10:53:18 pm »
Now, if I could only get why stretched polygons are not working correctly on the Psp emulator. :p
POPS compatible? *worship*

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 05:55:44 pm »
Time to revive this thread, woo! Which means that it's also time to post more crap about the mechanics. :woot!: In the last few days I've been planning some new features for the game:
  • The game won't start from the Behemoth event anymore, but it will actually give you a brief tutorial on how to play the game (Richter will be the master);
  • Macka Region's map will be similar to Chrono Cross' world map, which means there will be some locations where you have to go around and beat the local boss (if there's one) to proceed to the next one. Once the location is cleared, you can just skip it and move freely;
  • 2.5D exploration. What does this mean? Well, you won't just move left/right and up/down, but also on parallel routes! Locations will feel a lot more real than those you've seen so far in metroidvania games, I hope;
  • Upgradable weapons! I haven't planned yet how to implement this, but it will make your favorite weapon not useless when you find a more powerful one (except for secret uber weapons). And it's not the crappy soul power-up system used in Dawn of Sorrow.

As for the actual updates, I can tell you the item database is almost complete. All data for weapons, food, status/recovery potions, armors, and helmets is set. I'm still missing icons for a few daggers, and I haven't decided yet what accessories and story-related things to implement. And speaking of accessories --- capes, rings, boots, and other misc items will be in this category.
Now the main editor part: I'm still working on it, and I think I finally went for the big step today: XML. Some things will be handled using this format (in a not retarded way), so that I can add anything when it's necessary. I should have done the same with the item database, but whatever. For the moment XML is going to be used for map data. Finally I'll be able to create the very first location with the map editor. :p

Eye candy:

That's Richter with his Dracula X Chronicles outfit. He will appear in the intro, during the tutorial, but he has no animations so far, and he probably won't have any since they're not necessary. :p He needs several changes (I made the sprite myself, my bad) and he will probably not just show his back.

That's all folks!

POPS compatible? *worship*
It is, but I'm still having weird issues with menu loading and some stretched flat polygons.

Square711

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 06:21:59 pm »
2.5D exploration. What does this mean? Well, you won't just move left/right and up/down, but also on parallel routes! Locations will feel a lot more real than those you've seen so far in metroidvania games, I hope;

How are you planning to change the map in order to show this? Decent 2.5D maps are pretty hard to make. x_x