I'm in full agreement that the battle system needs balancing, and a translation patch is as good as any other excuse to fix it. It would even help me just to get through the game to test my translation for bugs. We can either power up attack and magic strength, but rigging enemy HP would be much easier to do. I've spent hours leveling up and still hit single-digits
It pays to level-up attack materia, but the frustration is incessant.
Thanks for moving the posts. I left a link on the other thread to point to here. (When I saw my posts were gone I thought I was banned! LOL!)
I have finished translating Dialog Block 1 (there are at least 5. 2 and 3 are half-done) and reducing it to an acceptable size. There are several limiting factors on memory. We can look back at my Dialog Block 1 byte map for reference.
1) New text cannot run into the consecutive statically-located memory block (In this case it's the "Tileset").
2) Referenced text cannot be out of pointer range.
I got these out of the way by simplifying redundant punctuation and text (I didn't "hack-it-up" to the point of real concern).
Now let's get to my unresolved issue
. See how Dialog 1 is broken into Header, and 3 sub-blocks (1a, 1b, 1c) with their own pointer spaces? The sub-blocks are memory-contiguous with each other. If I add text to one sub-block the following ones shift, which means the pointers to the sub-blocks have to change to keep up. I have made the appropriate pointer corrections, but my shifted sub-blocks still end up pointing to gibberish in-game. I considered maybe there are other pointers to fix that I don't know about. I have compared the Dialog 1 header to the Dialog 2 header to see which other bytes were variables, but they were identical with the exception of sub-block pointer values. I HAVE to figure out how to safely move contiguous sub-blocks without creating corruption. I still have to take more time to study the problem... EPIPHANY!
I may not have to move them at all! Since all pointers in the same block have the same local addressing system, I can just throw the text that doesn't fit into the free memory area after the last sub-block. Just use it as overflow space. No one ever said the lines themselves have to be contiguous. It'll make the ROM's innards look a little chopped-up, but I think it'll do the trick! Cross your fingers for me...