News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Script Help and Language Discussion Rules - READ THIS  (Read 8288 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Script Help and Language Discussion Rules - READ THIS
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:19:57 pm »
There are now special rules in place for this subboard. Please read and follow them, we'll delete or lock topics which break these rules.

This board covers everything related to languages and scripts. You can post here if you're looking for translation help, if you're looking for help with identifying Kanji and generally for language questions of any sort.

Please keep in mind the following rules:

1.) This is a romhacking board. The things you post should have some relevance to romhacking. It's OK to post a thread about translating song titles or some such once in a while, but make sure you clearly state what kind of content you post. Don't just post huge amounts of game scripts when you don't intent to actually use the translation in a romhack.

2.) Don't paste huge script portions directly into the board. Upload the script in text form to a webhoster or a text paste service and link to that instead. Huge walls of Japanese text only clutter up the server. Posting 3 or 4 lines of Japanese directly on the board is OK of course.

3.) Use script files to translate from. Don't upload a huge load of pictures showing the text to the board. A screenshot or two for spot translations are allowed of course.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

kern

• View Profile
Re: Script Help and Language Discussion Rules - READ THIS
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:29:25 pm »
I hope you don't mind me adding something here because it's a common problem on translation request boards; feel free to delete it if you don't want it cluttering up your rules post.

If you're asking for help on a translation, the #1 most important thing when asking for help is to include the context.  The context includes things like what game this is from, who is speaking the line, who the line is being spoken to, and what scene the line is in.  You may not know all these things but the more you can include, the better chance we have of getting the correct interpretation and translation.  Even if your question is just about one word or one phrase, include as much of the surrounding text as you can (within a reasonable limit, say a few lines before and after).  Sometimes it's impossible to give a translation without seeing those.