News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Aeon Genesis Releases Shiren the Wanderer, Plus Other News  (Read 25712 times)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
DM: "Okay. Roll. 2d4"
Clubie: "For what?!?"
DM: "Roll."
Clubie: "Okay....   5"
DM: "You start slowly floating off the ground."
Clubie: "What the fuck?!?"
DM: "The further you rise, the faster your acceleration."
Clubie: "Uh..."
DM: "You have stopped at about 50 feet off the ground."
*cluebie looks at the mage in the party* "Dude. Tell me you know feather fall."
mage:  "Not so much. Sorry."
cluebie: "Oh shit."
DM: "A bag of cheetos and a can of mountain dew appear."
cluebie: "This is for that quote, isn't it?"
DM glares.
cluebie: "SIGH. I take the mountain dew and imbibe."
DM: "You're starting to fall quite quickly. Roll 1d12"
cluebie: "Is this for dammage?"
DM : "Yup."
cluebie: "6."
DM: "Okay, Roll 4d12."
cluebie: "oh shit. 38."
DM: "Okay, you take 228 dammage as you splatter all over the ground. And a passing peasant girl spits on what remains."
cluebie: "What the fuck?!?"

dormento

• View Profile
Sorry for the inconvenience but, being quite a fan of roguelikes (espacially Slash'EM), I tried to get shiren working for quite some time. Could anyone please post just the CRC32 of the correct ROM image (without header, unpatched)?

I tried with both 1.0 and 1.1, no dice. Haven't tried the [b1].

Emulators: Snes9x 1.43(win32), zsnes 1.42(win32), zsnes wip 0307 (win32).
I tried both soft patching and hard patching, in both versions of the rom. I tried running them with and withouth headers after the patching process.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
The correct rom's CRC should be AF5703EE
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Just get 1.0 from justroms.com and remove the header. Don't get roms with a . That means bad dump.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Just get 1.0 from justroms.com and remove the header. Don't get roms with a . That means bad dump.

Aside from a few errors in the goodsets which lists a few good dumps as bad... or so I've heard.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
reason number 52384723984723 why that entire thing is bullshit.

getter77

• View Profile
Whew...finally got around to registering.  Hopefully I can make decent posts in the hopefully long histroy of this site.  :hugs romhacking.net:

Anyways, everyone following this thread should be intrigued to know that Shiren the Wanderer will apparently also be released this year....in Japan...on the Nintendo DS.  At least, according to gfaqs.

I shudder to think what could be done with the power of the DS versus the SNES..

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Shiren on DS = DS hitting the wall with extreme horizontal force.

dormento

• View Profile
<i>Shiren on DS = DS hitting the wall with extreme horizontal force.</i>
Quoted for emphasis.
I finally got the game to work; don't know what went wrong the other 9132 tries... Maybe i goofed up when removing the headers?

Anyway, this game ROCKS. It's like vanilla nethack, but with 'breaks' in the form of towns & villages, and has a surprisingly high ammount of sidequests. For example, the farthest I got was the first marsh level. In the town immediately before that, i couldn't se the warehouse, there was a man and a woman babbling about how they hadn't seen their daughter. I once saw a small child wandering about in the dungeon (lv 10~11 i believe), but she got knocked ou in an unfortunate incident while using a scroll of AirSlash... :(
I meet two helpers already: O-Ryu (the blinding lady) and my "Little Brother". O-Ryu rocks early game, but one time she died while surrounded by enemies, the other time i fell into a trap, and couldn't get back to her...
Had my fair share of STUPID STUPID DEATHS too.
- I got killed by that wandering master's Shiatsu technique
- Starved to death once

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
My "little brother" fucking killed me  >:(
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Syntax

Okay, I'm back after playing this game for a while...

Two words: bull shit. This game is so cheap. The enemies get progressively harder while your guy stays hovering at mediocre, all the while wondering why he's getting his ass kicked. Even when I think I'm doing good, something ridiculously cheap happens. Like around floor 18 I stepped on a switch that placed a shitload of traps all over the floor (an unavoidable switch by the way). I got pummeled by every fucking trap in the book conveniently placed directly in my path, by the time I got to the stairs I had no more healing items, a rusted shield, and rotten rice balls. Then immediately on the next floor I walked into a "monster party" room. Apparently I wasn't invited because they kicked my ass.

I actually did manage to save the little girl that you mentioned dormento. It was a total fluke too, these tanks with ridiculous range kept lobbing fireballs at us, so I had to shamelessly abuse my swap staff to switch places with them and run like hell. Eventually the girl and I got out of there alive, somehow. Her parents let you use their warehouse for free, permanently (I think).

Something tells me the later parts of this game are going to turn into a gratuitous savestate-fest if I want to beat the game without having a massive stroke.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
That's the beauty of these games. Sometimes you can spend 3 hours on a dungeon and something goes wrong by chance and you're screwed.

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
There are vision herbs :P.  Plus the game gets easier when you get a partner.  And if you keep doing the Fei's problem mini thing you get better and better items.  I've had fun and am starting to get to level 18+ every turn now.  All you need to do is keep temering one sword and shield until you get it super aweomse.  What I like about the game is that you can abuse money so badly and not really effect you at all.

Also Syntax is you put your riceballs in a jar they won't spoil.
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
Something tells me the later parts of this game are going to turn into a gratuitous savestate-fest if I want to beat the game without having a massive stroke.

I wouldn't do that if i were you. save states totally fuck over the game. every turn you take the game autosaves to the srm. loading save states will fuck that up hardcore. stuff will disapear from your warehouse, and eventually the game will delete the saveram completely.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
I wouldn't do that if i were you. save states totally fuck over the game. every turn you take the game autosaves to the srm. loading save states will fuck that up hardcore. stuff will disapear from your warehouse, and eventually the game will delete the saveram completely.

Woo..! Fun times!  :D