News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: VWF Implemented in Sylvanian Families for GBC  (Read 7716 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: VWF Implemented in Sylvanian Families for GBC
« on: March 11, 2006, 08:49:01 pm »

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Ryusui

The good news: I've heard of only one other case where a VWF has been implemented in a Game Boy title.

The weird news: The game is Sylvanian Families, a fairly oddball kids' title based on the furry figurines that have been around since the 80's. If you live in America, you've probably seen them under the "Calico Critters" name.

Why I'm working on a game whose target audience is probably mutually exclusive from the entire emulation community is a long, strange story best left for another time, but note that I've probably gotten five games' worth of romhacking experience out of this one game. Don't be fooled by appearances: the game's script is a mess of bytecode, complete with jumps and a sea of opcodes. Even Klarth's Atlas required some tweaks to make this game translatable.

In brief: the VWF is in, it appears to be bug-free (any glitches at this point are the fault of assumptions made by the game's script), and I need to go back over everything I've done so far to make it takes advantage of the massive amounts of screen space that are now available. A full translation patch is still a ways off, but the end result will sure look nice...

Relevant Link: (http://sixtybillionman.tripod.com/wcdevblog)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Translations: VWF Implemented in Sylvanian Families for GBC
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 10:24:51 pm »
Nice update. Looks nice.

I'm just noticing now, no images appear when the topic is created here.  I guess I never added code to do that. One more thing to add to the list.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Cless

• View Profile
    • Phantasian Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 12:46:21 am »
Beauty-full.

Narikiri Dungeon 1 would SERIOUSLY benefit from a VWF...

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 02:30:59 am »
VWFs are an awesome thing. They make my day.... ::)

evo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:08:55 am »
Cless you have a PM, vwf on gb/c? no problem :)

only one other case?
add the other gb/c vwf by me:
Megaman Xtreme vwf edition patch: http://www.geocities.com/ev0luzione/mmxtvwfe.zip
Star Ocean Blue Sphere (vwf+dte) :P (currently working on it because there are multiple font routines...)
a little demo for vwf + some others "private" projects, fully working and without glitches ;)

released long time before...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 09:12:12 am by evo »
καὶ λέγων ὅτι Πεπλήρωται ὁ καιρὸς καὶ ἤγγικεν ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ: μετανοεῖτε καὶ πιστεύετε ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ.
~Mark 1:15

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 09:22:31 am »
Congratulations man. I feel like I've watched the project develop right from the beginning and it's come a long way. Good job and keep it up. :)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 02:39:17 pm »
Cless you have a PM, vwf on gb/c? no problem :)

only one other case?
add the other gb/c vwf by me:
Megaman Xtreme vwf edition patch: http://www.geocities.com/ev0luzione/mmxtvwfe.zip
Star Ocean Blue Sphere (vwf+dte) :P (currently working on it because there are multiple font routines...)
a little demo for vwf + some others "private" projects, fully working and without glitches ;)

released long time before...

Well, I did say "heard of". XD

Really, though, that's some nice work. A long time ago I heard it said that the Game Boy didn't have the processing power to handle a VWF and that only one person had done it on a Chobits translation. Considering that I only upgraded from Tile Layer Pro to the infinitely superior Tile Molester just recently, it seems I've somehow missed out on about a year or so's worth of developments. ^_^;

As noted in my most recent blog post, it turns out that I do indeed have a few more bugs to squash...my VWF code assumes a particular location for the "number of tiles printed" and "current line" bytes, and if they're being stored elsewhere, that means I have to adapt my code to work. >_>
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 06:52:10 pm »
And Love Hina Pocket. Though pelrun's site has long since vanished.
(this was based on an anime/manga I haven't heard of. Actually, the list of anime/manga I've heard of is probably very few. But anyway, he said that game would be very difficult for somebody else to work on, and gave many reasons.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

evo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 11:33:37 am »
actually my vwf run at fully speed either in gb and gbc double speed mode :)
gb/c have more processing speed power than anyone can think of, you should only learn to play some tricks
with opcodes like the swap opcode and write tight and optimized code,
i have hacked my code (and sometimes rewritten) a lot of times, with a finished 400 lines asm code fully optimized that
consumes 150-180 clock cycles less than the first version =)
καὶ λέγων ὅτι Πεπλήρωται ὁ καιρὸς καὶ ἤγγικεν ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ: μετανοεῖτε καὶ πιστεύετε ἐν τῷ εὐαγγελίῳ.
~Mark 1:15