News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: KING KONG 2: ikari no MEGATON PUNCH Translation Released  (Read 12488 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: DvD

Konami made two games based on the American movie, King Kong Lives, released as King Kong 2 in Japan.

The first one, “KING KONG 2: ikari no MEGATON PUNCH” for the Famicom, is what DvD Translations, has just translated.  It's an action game.

The second one, “KING KONG 2: yomigaeru densetsu”, released for the MSX has been translated for a while now. It is an action RPG.

This translation started out as simply a title screen graphics hack, but then we discovered 2 things:
  • it was based on an American movie called King Kong Lives (so we had to change the title screen more than we were originally going to)
  • there WAS some japanese text in the ROM.  We determined that it was special text that only came up only during the ending credits if you hold the correct buttons down.  So now, it needed to be translated for a complete patch.

This patch translates the title screen and the 24 different ending phrases.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.geocities.com/dvdtranslations/king_kong_lives.html)

Y0u

• View Profile
Nice.  While I'm not sure how badly this game needs a translation, I do rather like it.

Pluvius

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Any chance of the list of sentences being posted so I don't have to beat the game again?

Y0u

• View Profile
Any chance of the list of sentences being posted so I don't have to beat the game again?

That'd be nice.  I think I googled for it a bit to no avail.

reyvgm

• View Profile
I will do it as soon as DvD gives me a save of the ending.

UglyJoe

• smoke and mirrors
    • View Profile
    • ximwix.net/xb
I'm no expert when it comes to the IPS format specification, but couldn't you just open the IPS in Windhex, load up KK2's English table, and read the ending lines that way?

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
If you have passed the game once, all you have to do is change the "$7E9 = Hour" byte before the credits stop scrolling to see the different messages in the game, otherwise I'll send the savestate to reyvgm after I post this message, so he can post all the screenshots.

Ok?

Have fun!

reyvgm

• View Profile
Gah, why didn't you tell me the code in the email@
I just spent 30 minutes trying to find it :P

I'll post the ending in a bit. BRB

reyvgm

• View Profile
Ok, here it is.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/kingkong2.htm

I just have to add the last boss pic as soon as DvD sends me a save and I have to add some missing numbers to the pics.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:48:21 am by reyvgm »

CaseCrash

• View Profile
Why are there weird numbers after the text strings there?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
This somehow reminds me that we need a translation improvement patch for Zelda 1 and 2, stuff like "I AM ERROR" is just goofy.

Pluvius

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Thanks, guys.

reyvgm

• View Profile
There are numbers there because the original game has them too. The numbers mean something when you pronounce them in Japanese or something.

Y0u

• View Profile
There are messages for beating the game in 23+ hours?  A game that doesn't save...?

Wow.  I can't imagine doing that on a console.  The most I've done is about 8 hours.

Djungelurban

• View Profile
Random thought... But is there a "King Kong 1"? :D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
It was stated in the readme.
No King Kong 1, because "King Kong 2" was apparently based off a movie of the same title in Japan, with the original version made in America and titled King Kong Lives.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

reyvgm

• View Profile
For the NES?
No

There is a King Kong 1 for Atari 2600 though :P

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
For the NES?
No

There is a King Kong 1 for Atari 2600 though :P

King Kong for the Atari 2600 was made by TigerVision and was based off of the original King Kong movie; Konami had nothing to do with the game, nor did they make any games based off of the original King Kong movie.  :-\

This game, along with the quite different game Konami made for the MSX, is based of the King Kong Lives movie which was released as King Kong 2 in Japan.  This is not only clear from the original Japanese manual and box, but also from the gameplay itself which deals with Lady Kong from the King Kong Lives movie, who was not present in the original movie.

Also, to anyone who hasn't read the readme, check it out for answers too all of the questions that people seem to be asking here, including an explanation of the meaning of the numbers in the endings.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:31:01 am by DvD »