News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dual Orb Version 1.5 Released!  (Read 21051 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Dual Orb Version 1.5 Released!
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:22 pm »

Update By: Nightcrawler

Life still stirs over at TransCorp! Nightcrawler has released a fairly significant bug fix/improvement patch for Dual Orb 2! Over 25 items were addressed ranging from minor to fairly significant. Several items were polished up such as the magic descriptions pictured above, which are now relocated on screen.

One other thing of note is that the infamous Yes/No issue on copiers has been corrected. You can now strike Dual Orb 2 off your list of translations exemplifying emulator versus copier/SNES differences.

Head on over to TransCorp for further details!

RHDN Dual Orb 2 Page

Relevant Link: (http://transcorp.parodius.com)

kayenne

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Dual Orb Version 1.5 Released!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »
This is absolutely awesome, though I would have loved to see the "Alex" bug (just before the final level) fixed (the hero's called Aleth):

It's still there in v1.5. But nevertheless, good work, Nightcrawler! :thumbsup:

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:18:36 pm »
One other thing of note is that the infamous Yes/No issue on copiers has been corrected. You can now strike Dual Orb 2 off your list of translations exemplifying poor emulator versus copier/SNES differences.

Fixed that for you ;)

SNES9x, SNESGT, SNEeSe and bsnes all properly handle VRAM writes during vblank. Hell, I bet even Schuper does. Super Sleuth is in deep hibernation (or Elysium), so if pagefault addresses this issue with ZSNES v2, then we can finally rid ourselves of this problem once and for all.

Aside from that, great job on the release :D
You and Gideon rock. I'm always happy to reduce the number of games with such issues. Now we just need to patch up Dragon Quest 1&2 and Sailor Moon, and hopefully I won't be bothered by false bug reports anymore. Hoorah!

(the hero's called Aleth):

Well, technically he's called Aresu, Japanese for Alex. I think Nightcrawler said Alex didn't sound cool enough to him, so he chose Aleth.

Spoiler:
And it's KAERU, dammit! >_< j/k

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:13:16 pm »
(the hero's called Aleth):

Well, technically he's called Aresu, Japanese for Alex. I think Nightcrawler said Alex didn't sound cool enough to him, so he chose Aleth.

Actually, there's an important character in the game with the name of Alex as well (The guy in the intro)... I have zero recollection about the origin of either name's use in the project. Akujin was seemingly rough around the edges with name translations during the Dual Orb 2 time period based on things that came up with Wozz and re-examining some items with Dual Orb 2 over the past few years. Who knows. I blame him.  I think 'Aleth' is a pretty lousy name myself. Certainly not what I'd call 'cool'. :P

kayenne:

Where and when exactly did you report this? There are no posts on the message board about this in the history of TransCorp nor any e-mails I can find for the past several years about it containing 'Dual Orb 2' or 'Alex'. So, either you did a poor bug report or never reported it. :P

EDIT:

You know, it's depressing when you release something and the first feedback post you see is a complaint...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:36:42 pm by Nightcrawler »
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:46:59 am »
You rock Nightcrawler, thank you for this updated patch. I've never played the game before so its much appreciated!

kayenne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:10:50 am »
Hi Nightcrawler,

Where and when exactly did you report this? There are no posts on the message board about this in the history of TransCorp nor any e-mails I can find for the past several years about it containing 'Dual Orb 2' or 'Alex'. So, either you did a poor bug report or never reported it. :P

I did. Please refer to the PN I just sent to you. ;)

You know, it's depressing when you release something and the first feedback post you see is a complaint...

Sorry about that. I must accept that you have a different opinion on this - I, in contrast, am always happy about bug reports, even if they should occur half an hour after release. ;)

However, I did express my appreciation of your patch in my first post ("This is absolutely awesome ..." / "good work, Nightcrawler"). I'm hereby doing it again: Thank you for your great work, for your support, and for your excellent patches. (Please consider the additional comments on this in my PN.) :thumbsup:

Greetings,
-kayenne

curiousfox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:33:11 am »
Thanks, this game is good. now I have to replay and see what I am missing. now time to discard my old patched rom with the latest. XP.

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:21:38 pm »
Ah, it's nice to see the full names again, and the other things fixed as well. I lost all hope years ago when you stated you didn't plan to fix those issues at all, glad you changed the stance. Thanks for the update :)

Now we just need to patch up Dragon Quest 1&2 and Sailor Moon, and hopefully I won't be bothered by false bug reports anymore. Hoorah!

Wait, wait, who is still playing that one? Or bothered to play it back then ;D
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:32:38 pm »
Aside from that, great job on the release :D
You and Gideon rock. I'm always happy to reduce the number of games with such issues. Now we just need to patch up Dragon Quest 1&2 and Sailor Moon, and hopefully I won't be bothered by false bug reports anymore. Hoorah!

I think I might be willing to take one for the team and fix DQ1&2 and/or Sailor Moon.  From our notes on RHDN, Sailor Moon just has a text printing issue which unless it does something crazy or has insufficient vblank time after the NMI routine, should only take a few lines of code and be pretty quick to find and fix.

What's the deal with DQ1&2 again? The notes seem to suggest it works on a copier.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 02:27:31 pm »

I hate to nitpick, but wouldn't "Arekusu" be Japanese for Alex? If the kana says "Aresu", I'd say Aleth is about as good as you could get for a translation. >.>

Congrats, NC! (I should probably finish that...someday.)

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:11:26 pm »
I hate to nitpick, but wouldn't "Arekusu" be Japanese for Alex? If the kana says "Aresu", I'd say Aleth is about as good as you could get for a translation. >.>
On my side of the nitpicky advice, I'd agree. Alex writes as Arekkusu in Japanese kana. As for Aresu, maybe it was supposed to be Ares?
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »
Wait, wait, who is still playing that one? Or bothered to play it back then

Someone reported it as a bug, saying it happened on his copier, too. I declined to look at it, as it's a fan translation, until someone started chiming in on how "it's an emulator bug and needs to be fixed," so I had to drag my copier out. Broken there, too, as I expected. Turns out the guy was testing an NTSC game on a PAL copier + PAL SNES.

What's the deal with DQ1&2 again? The notes seem to suggest it works on a copier.

As far as I know, the DQ1 title inside the dragon flames doesn't show up in English. You know, because bit $4212; bmi $fb; bit $4212; bpl $fb is just so much effort.

I hate to nitpick, but wouldn't "Arekusu" be Japanese for Alex?

Both work. Aresu is more common, though. See Lunar: Silver Star for the best example I can think of off the top of my head. It doesn't really matter, of course. If you'd prefer to transliterate nonsensical names that no one in the real world uses when a standard name is also a valid translation, be my guest.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:28:08 pm »

Both work. Aresu is more common, though. See Lunar: Silver Star for the best example I can think of off the top of my head. It doesn't really matter, of course. If you'd prefer to transliterate nonsensical names that no one in the real world uses when a standard name is also a valid translation, be my guest.

But in this case there was ALREADY a significant character named Alex! You want to have two? :P

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 05:43:24 pm »
You people and your nitpickiness. Oh wait.

I blame all of you complainers for not picking up on any of these bugs before this new release.

Although, I don't think the text in that screenshot is a true error though.
FF4 Research Continues
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 08:27:42 pm »

But in this case there was ALREADY a significant character named Alex! You want to have two? :P

Go Fire Emblem Thomas and Tomth! (or as the Japanese version calls them, Tomas and Tormas) :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 12:11:43 am »
cool!  I remember you talking about releasing this a while ago Nightcrawler...

I haven't tried this game yet so this gives me a good reason to do so...
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
This is absolutely awesome, though I would have loved to see the "Alex" bug (just before the final level) fixed (the hero's called Aleth):

It's still there in v1.5. But nevertheless, good work, Nightcrawler! :thumbsup:

This is not an error/bug.

Here's a reference:
Spoiler:

The guy still calls Aleth by his ancestor's name. It makes a lot of sense given the resemblence (he then references that Aleth looks just like Alex 1000 years ago).

So, I hazard to guess that this was actually intentional, and not an error.

I'm sure Nightcrawler can give you a dump of that whole section of script that explains this better than my screenshot.

Edit:

Spoiler:
Here's another reference, used during part of the final boss fight:

I doubt it's a coincidence. As I said before, the guy calls him by his ancestor's name intentionally, so the name is not some random error that's occuring here.

Edit: Used spoiler tags so people play the game.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:46:32 pm by Deathlike2 »
FF4 Research Continues

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 11:21:56 am »
I believe you're right. Shows how long it's been since I've played through the game in full! (2002)  :-[ I should have known that off the top of my head. Good. Scratch that off the list. Thanks. I can dig that up in the script later if necessary, but it doesn't look like it is.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 12:48:36 pm »
Spoiler warning? (although I imagine the audience who cares and hasn't finished it already is rather small) :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Deathlike2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 03:52:08 pm »
Spoiler warning? (although I imagine the audience who cares and hasn't finished it already is rather small) :D

Fixed that, not that the plot was outstanding by any stretch of the imagination.. and those screenshots don't give you enough insight to any of the actual plot IMO.

I think I've finished the last of the bugs out anyways (3 freaking runs is enough for the year).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:08:17 pm by Deathlike2 »
FF4 Research Continues