News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project  (Read 178427 times)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »
I can't stand Video LPs. I honestly prefer screenshot.

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2009, 08:13:57 pm »
I think I'm going to watch this before I finish my playthrough, I'm curious as to how other people played through it.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2009, 12:53:04 am »
lol this Let's Play is kind of...meh? It's also amusing for him to ask "hey is it going to be like the GBA versi-oh, nope!"

Damn, if I had a lot of time on my hands I'd love to do a Let's Play of my own...hmm..

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2009, 02:12:18 am »
Hej Ryusui,
I do not know if You were able to read my thanks last time because I registered just before the downtime. If so, sorry for the redundancy, but thank You so much for this patch. I am looking forward to finding a lot of free time and spending it on this great game. BOF2 is one of my favourite games and with Your translation and improvements this will be so much fun!
Also, could You (oh god, I sound so fanboyish...) repost the pictures of Your work on BOF1, I am sooooo looking forward to this one too!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2009, 02:45:29 am »
You want 'em? You got 'em. ^_^

Keep in mind, though, that BoF1 is a looooong way from completion...right now I'm focusing on Flash programming, but this is definitely in the works.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Hamlet

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2009, 03:30:24 am »
Thank You!!!
I just had to have them ;)

And take Your time with the BOF1 project. I am just happy knowing that it is in such capable hands. ;)

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2009, 01:35:55 am »
Great work on your BOF2 translation! I found it FAR superior to what Capcom's US translators managed to pull out of their asses. I wish you the absolute best of luck in your Breath of Fire 1 retranslation project. Don't let anyone put your project down, it's great! I love the new features you actually ADDED in addition to the script. The gradient shading of the textboxes and transparency is really nice. Makes it look similar to Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean in fact.  ;) Intro video is especially nice!

For kicks, I tried it on a DS SNES emulator called SnemulDS. I had to create a save in a PC emulator first that already passed the first time check screen (passed on ZSNES, failed on snemulds), but otherwise, your patch still works fine on SnemulDS! Shocking indeed since that DS emulator hates hacks. The transparency in the windows doesn't show up, but disabled, and you're in business! I guess I'm a little lucky you didn't opt for mode7 world maps or it might not work properly! I'm sure it wasn't your intention to have use play on a SNES emulator for DS, but I am and am having a blast. Kudos and thanks!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2009, 02:25:58 am »
Certainly not the first thing on my mind, but definitely a welcome bonus. :3

The thing that surprised me - well, it probably shouldn't, but it did - is that while BoF2's translation is stilted and awkward but retains pretty much every word of the original script (everything not in there is either due to mistranslation or bowdlerization), BoF1's script reads much more naturally and cuts out swaths of material. The matter-of-fact infodump at the start of the game that Emperor Zorgon - ahem, "Zog" - is taking over the world is mentioned to have been a widespread rumor and the attack is merely confirmation, for one. Judas/Jade also has an inexplicable moment: Woolsey's work has him briefly sympathize with Sayla/Sara ("She has a point!"), while the original has him cementing his villain cred by saying something suitably chauvinistic along the lines of "you're cute when you're angry".

But perhaps the most remarkable thing I turned up is the original name of "Agni". Of course, the high-level dragon spells should be familiar to fans of the later games - "Holy Dragon" and "Kaiser Dragon". (Funnily enough, Holy Dragon became "G. Dragon" in the U.S. version of BoF1, while the same appellation was given to the Kaiser Dragon in BoF2.) Obviously, Agni was the power called "Infinity" (or "Enfini" in the Japanese version) in the later games, right? Surprisingly...wrong. The final spell isn't really given a name of its own: it's "Saigo no Chikara", or "The Final Power". As epic a name as it might be, I'm tempted to simply opt for consistency and call it Infinity anyway; considering the context, it'd be foolish not to.

All this said, I still plan to defer to Woolsey on some things. I've actually uncovered a few lines that are pretty much spot-on; sprucing up the punctuation is all I've done to them. There's some of the town names as well: obviously, we're going to have Dragnier, Wyndia, Melodia, the Flying Fortress and the Goddess Tower, among others, but it's hard to come up with better names for "Kaze no Machi" ("Wind Town"), "Hikari no Machi" ("Light Town") and "Yami no Machi" ("Dark Town") than "Gust", "Auria" and "Bleak". (Bleak is probably the weakest of the three, but Auria is very nice IMHO.) I'm also not sure whether I'll call the two towns "Tatarl" and "Totorl" or "Tatahl" and "Totohl" (they were "Tantar" and "Tuntar" in Woolsey's version).

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2009, 06:02:46 am »
dusk? twilight?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2009, 06:30:49 am »
Well, two outta three ain't bad. XD I did say it was the weakest of the three, after all.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:20 am »
Umbria?
Shadohl?
Sheidra?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2009, 02:47:00 pm »
Actually, Syn City (Or Sin City in early releases) in Breath of Fire III was called "Yami no Machi" in the Japanese version, so it's a reference. Well, actually, I heard one game was "Yami Machi" and the other was "Yami no Machi", but still, it's a reference. Unfortunately, BoFIII didn't have an equivalent to "Hikari no Machi" (Closest thing I can think of is the Urkan Tapa, but that's a religious fortress-town), so you're on your own for that one.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2009, 02:55:32 pm »
Actually, Syn City (Or Sin City in early releases) in Breath of Fire III was called "Yami no Machi" in the Japanese version, so it's a reference. Well, actually, I heard one game was "Yami Machi" and the other was "Yami no Machi", but still, it's a reference. Unfortunately, BoFIII didn't have an equivalent to "Hikari no Machi" (Closest thing I can think of is the Urkan Tapa, but that's a religious fortress-town), so you're on your own for that one.

Egh. I think that like Gonghead, this will be a place where I'll trust my own judgment.

Umbria?
Shadohl?
Sheidra?

Top one looks good, as a nice counterpoint to Auria.

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2009, 03:12:51 pm »
what is gunhead/gonghead? ganheddo or something? is it possible that they mean the sound effect/onomatopoeia "gan!" instead of an english word for a projectile weapon "gan/gun"?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2009, 04:48:43 pm »
Possible, but then you turn around and notice we have Sniperhead and Volleyhead ("Shotgunhead" in my translation). Both "Gonghead" and "Gunhead" are pretty nonsensical, though, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:45 pm »
I say keep it Bleak, I liked it  :D

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
I was really planning to, to be honest. ^_^

Here's a quickie guide, JP->US->Ryusui. :3

ドラグニール (Dragnier) -> Drogen -> Dragnier
ナナイおうこく (Nanai Kingdom) -> Nanai -> Nanai
ウインディア (Wyndia) -> Winlan -> Wyndia
ロメロむら (Romero Village) -> Romero -> Romero
かぜのむら (Wind Village) -> Gust -> Gust
カンタベル (Cantabel) -> Camlon -> Cantabel
ナダのいせき (Nada Ruins) -> Nada -> Nada Ruins
タタールむら (Tatahl Village) -> Tantar -> Tatahl
トトールむら (Totohl Village) -> Tuntar -> Totohl
パスラのうきしま (Pathra Floating Island) -> Agua -> Pathra Island
ひかりのまち (Light Town) -> Auria -> Auria
やみのまち (Dark Town) -> Bleak -> Bleak
ヂューン (Dune) -> Arad -> Dune
はるのむら (Spring Village) -> Spring -> Spring
おんがくのくに (Land of Music) -> Tunlan -> Melodia
ガンツ (Guntz) -> Gant -> Guntz
ていと (Teito) -> Scande -> Scande
チャムむら (Cham Village) -> Carmen -> Cham
グラモール (Gramor) -> Gramor -> Gramor
さまよえるまち (Wandering City) -> Wisdon -> ???
カーマのとう (Karma Tower) -> Karma -> Karma Tower
マッカ (Macca) -> Prima -> Macca
ぬすびとのはか (Thieves' Tomb) -> Krypt -> Thief's Tomb
ナバルのしろ (Nabal Castle) -> Nabal -> Nabal Castle
じくうのとう (Dimensional Tower) -> Tock -> Dimensional Tower
てんのとう (Heaven Tower) -> Spyre -> Heaven Tower
ふゆうようさい (Flying Fortress) -> Obelisk -> Flying Fortress
めがみのとう (Goddess Tower) -> Pagoda -> Goddess Tower

A few notes:

1. "Teito" is written in hiragana, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a place name or a word I'm not recognizing. For the time being, I'm going with Woolsey's name.

2. I'm not entirely certain what to call "Samayoeru Machi". The literal translation just doesn't work in my mind somehow...that is, "Wandering City" isn't one of those clever little descriptive names like the others ("Wisdon" is out since it's in no way related to the original name).

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2009, 04:00:37 pm »

A few notes:

1. "Teito" is written in hiragana, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a place name or a word I'm not recognizing. For the time being, I'm going with Woolsey's name.

2. I'm not entirely certain what to call "Samayoeru Machi". The literal translation just doesn't work in my mind somehow...that is, "Wandering City" isn't one of those clever little descriptive names like the others ("Wisdon" is out since it's in no way related to the original name).

Teito = 帝都, the Imperial Capital
さまよえる can also mean to loiter, or hang around.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2009, 06:34:54 pm »
Well, I suppose there's nothing stopping me from referring to it as "Scande, the Imperial Capital". Thanks. ^_^

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2009, 07:04:11 pm »
さまよう (from which さまよえる derives) has three definitions in Daijisen's native definitions:

1) To walk around with no particular aim. Also, to walk around being lost (迷う; also to be carried away or to even haunt a place [which is certainly appropriate here, don’t you think?]).
2) Moving here and there without stopping in any one place.
3) To have one’s heart (心) be unstable (安定しない; also, to be ill at ease, etc.). To be lost (迷う) in judgment.

This is why the terms “wandering”, “stray”, “roaming”, etc. tend to be used in translation, but it doesn’t have to be that way (rather, it’s less about the Wandering Jew [さまよえるユダヤ人] walking around and more about him not having a whole hell of a lot to do; same thing goes with the Flying Dutchman [さまよえるオランダ人]). Two half-definitions out of three are about 迷う, which WWWJDIC goes even to the extreme of offering “to turn in one's grave”! Crazy word ._.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger