News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project  (Read 172035 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 03:56:12 pm »
Lightweight private wiki.

This one sounds reasonable, as long as you keep access very exclusive.

Yeah, uh...how would I do that? Would Wikia suffice?
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:03 pm »
Wikia is very public. It also runs on MediaWiki, which is very non-lightweight, though I suppose that is beside the point if you do not have your own webspace.

I am not a fan of Bugzilla, mostly because it is pretty unintuitive. It is, however, a pretty effective system if everyone on it figures out how the heck to use it (ha!), looks for their problem before they repeat a report (ha!), there are lots (i.e. hundreds or thousands) of potential problems, and you have multiple developers who can fix things (ha!).

For one-man projects, I think small wikis can be much better, mostly because they allow you to merge, delete, and search without having to learn what goes where in the interface before you can even touch a durn thing; plus you can fix up what someone else says if you need to (which comes in handy for both developers and bug reporters).

All you need is a wiki package (like DokuWiki), and somewhere to host it (don’ lookit me! nothing personal, just can’t afford to host a romhack anything at the moment).
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 09:04:37 pm »
Yeah, I guess I should explain the kind of stuff I'm expecting testers to turn up.

I got through the entire game and fixed any major programming problems I came across, and I also rewrote the script for context whenever something came out wrong or awkward. Most of what I'm expecting from a beta is script suggestions: places where I might not have done as thorough a job as I expected rooting out formatting errors or checking the script, maybe some ideas of where and how I could revise things.

There are, however, three things I would really like out of my beta testers:

1. A savestate (or SRAM file) which has the chefs in the Township. (Yeah, I missed them.)

2. A savestate (or SRAM file) which has the window painter from Mt. Rocco in Township. (Well, at least the music test works fine...)

3. A savestate (or SRAM file) from just before the sermon at the Cathedral where Habalk kills Claris and Tiga. (There was an odd graphical glitch here whenever the screen scrolled; I need to know if it was ZSNES or the code.)

And if anything else brings up an interface that's potentially missable, I'd like a savestate for that as well. (I fixed the fishing interface, BTW.)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:30 am »
What would you recommend, then?

A light weight bug tracker or content management system. Anything that will be able to clearly separate and organize bugs, and link to and keep the files (screenshots, savestates, srams etc) that go with it indefinitely as long as you need. As for a specific recommendation, I don't really have any. I coded my own system for this. I just think a forum is inadequate and thought I'd let you know so you take that into consideration to potentially save you headaches.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »
Trac is always fun.

I've never had my own (nor have I needed one), but I've used it to report bugs and make patches for open source projects. It also has Subversion stuff built in, but I'm pretty sure it isn't required.
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Yubi Shines

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 04:42:30 pm »
There's plenty of decent free wiki software. I've used pbwiki (nice, but hint: Use version 1 instead of 2.0, because some features seem to have been removed in 2 and made pay-to-access) and wikia (uses something similar to Wikipedia's software).

On locking either of them to only be viewable to editors, I don't think so...? I know pbwiki can make individual pages private, but that's a pay feature. With wikia you could just protect every relevant page so only members can mess with them. They'd still be readable to the public though.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
Now, I'd like some volunteers. I know a lot of you have expressed interest in beta testing this project: I just don't happen to have a convenient list of everyone. ^_^;

The beta test has officially begun. Beta testers, please check your PM inboxes and receive your instructions.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:37:28 pm by Ryusui »

Gohanks

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 11:20:03 pm »
Finally, we're reaching the end of the line!  Good luck beta testers and congrats for getting this far, Ryusui!

The_Dust

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 12:30:12 am »
Woohoo'n stuff!

Good luck and have fun!

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:54 am »
Looking forward to this. Good job, best of luck, take your time, and keep up the great work. :D
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 02:26:25 pm »
My first report has been sent.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:20 pm »
Now, I'd like some volunteers. I know a lot of you have expressed interest in beta testing this project: I just don't happen to have a convenient list of everyone. ^_^;

The beta test has officially begun. Beta testers, please check your PM inboxes and receive your instructions.

sweet, you mean this is actually happening?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 02:55:00 pm »
Ayup. I've even received some useful beta reports already.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 04:18:59 pm »

It is not a good idea to announce to the world that you are beta testing. You've just opened the flood gates for "can I get a copy?!," "OMG how did you miss that?!," "why aren't you done yet?!"

*sigh*

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 06:04:03 pm »
Yeah, you'll start seeing people with 1 post appear and claim that they will be the best beta tester ever.

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »
Yeah, you'll start seeing people with 1 post appear and claim that they will be the best beta tester ever.
I'm so tempted to create a duplicate account so I can post "I will be the best beta tester ever."

It's so hard to resist the urge...

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 06:22:49 pm »
He's actually done pretty well thus far. He sent me a .doc complete with screenshots detailing some typos he caught and a few script suggestions. He also caught where I accidentally omitted the control code for playing the scare chord (when Bosch reads the name off of the pig's collar).

That said, it probably isn't wise for beta testers to announce who they are, for the reasons already outlined. It's purely for your own protection. ^_^;

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 06:34:49 pm »

It is not a good idea to announce to the world that you are beta testing. You've just opened the flood gates for "can I get a copy?!," "OMG how did you miss that?!," "why aren't you done yet?!"

*sigh*

Attention, attention. Lenophis is a beta tester. Any bugs in the final patch are his fault and his alone. Just so you konw. :laugh:
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 06:38:03 pm »
Hey, Leno, could I get a copy of that patch plzkthx.

Spoiler:
Just kidding...

arcaj

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 07:07:49 pm »

I am the best beta tester ever.