News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project  (Read 174074 times)

Aeana

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:59 pm »
Oops, sorry if I'm late, but 会心 means meeting/after ones heart, while I think 丹 comes from earth or mud; probably 土丹 meaning mudstone considering the marble thing.

I'd probably translate them as 'spirit focusing clay/stone' if I was trying to be accurate, but for the sake of making sense 'focus pebble/stone' would be my translation.

Alternately Heart/Spirit Pebble(Clay)/Stone, depends what fits the rest of the translation best.

Also you have your marbles confused, mrbl1 doesn't work in dragon form, mrbl2 does; just as king mike said (Thus my pebble > stone thing).

Aeana you are correct it does appear as critical hit in several games; but the it doesn't directly translate. 会心の一撃 (kaishinnoichigeki) translates as a blow/strike meeting ones heart (doesn't make too much sense in English does it?), so strike is really not a good translation, at least not directly, although it does convey the use of the item quite well.

Hope I was of help :)
I think the meaning is equivalent.  A critical hit is often referred to as a "terrific blow" or thereabouts, which is a decent translation of 会心の一撃. 

As for your pebble/stone thing, I definitely agree.  That's a much better assessment than my haphazard guess.  丹 isn't something I run into often, and I learned it mainly in association with the color red or rust.  That didn't seem to apply here (clearly I'm not too good at thinking outside the box!), so I thought of 仙丹 (especially 仙丹花 in Chinese), so I just threw it out there. 

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2009, 02:46:01 pm »
"Focus". Dammit, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, psychic potato.

Okay, so how about "Focus Shard" and "Focus Stone"? (That is, the former is implied to merely be a piece of the latter.)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2009, 03:01:20 pm »
...What? Mrbl1 does work with dragon form.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #243 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »
I just had a disturbing episode. On TVTropes.org, guess what the pic for Unfortunate Implications happens to be?

Ggggghhhhhk...now I'm not sure if I shouldn't do something about it. -_-;

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2009, 06:48:40 pm »
Hey, hey, what happened to "I don't need excess gravy"? Leave it as-is.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »
Yeah...fixing that sort of thing is best left to the script, not knee-jerk reactions to the graphics.

Anyways, I'm starting to worry that I'll have no choice but to go back to my original plan of adding VWF to the menus. Some of them, at the very least. It's always been my plan to add VWF to the name display in the menus and on the battle screen - again, so "Builder" and "Gilliam" will fit (and I was even planning to add a nice centering effect as well!) - but it looks like I'll need to go beyond even that to fit names longer than ten letters into the trade-in menu. There's just no way I can expand the interface with all those face pics in the way. -_-;

odditude

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2009, 01:03:43 am »
"Focus Shard" and "Focus Stone"
fantastic.

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:53 pm »
Those two screens blew me away, nicely done Ryusui! and as racist and terrible Karn/Danq's portrait/character is, changing it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I couldn't see the portrait being tough to change but the actual sprite is something else, considering all the animation involved with it.

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:58 pm »
Those two screens blew me away, nicely done Ryusui! and as racist and terrible Karn/Danq's portrait/character is, changing it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I couldn't see the portrait being tough to change but the actual sprite is something else, considering all the animation involved with it.

Wouldn't you just have to change the pallete info?

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2009, 05:28:53 pm »
Yea, that's about it :|
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2009, 07:04:47 pm »
Yeah, all I'd have to do is change the palette, which is easy enough. None of my screenshots show it off, but I was even able to implement the original red emphasis font using a palette hack.

Tallgeese

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 14, 2009, 02:46:13 am »
Maybe make two patches again?

The racist patch, and the not-so-racist patch? Ahahahaha.

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #252 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:02 am »
I think editing that guy's face in your translation would be dumb as shit. You're not Working Designs (even if everyone says you are) so you don't have to go around changing arbitrary stuff.
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #253 on: December 14, 2009, 09:02:10 pm »
I think editing that guy's face in your translation would be dumb as shit. You're not Working Designs (even if everyone says you are) so you don't have to go around changing arbitrary stuff.

I totally agree here. There's no point in changing stuff. The whole reason you're doing this is to restore all of the stuff that was changed.

Not to mention, he's not black! He doesn't look black. He looks like he's covered in soot or something.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:39 pm »
*rolleyes*

He is black, he's just Japanese Failure-type black. Look no further than Square's Tom Sawyer game for another example of it.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2009, 12:47:13 am »
Yes, Jim. He has an unnaturally dark skin tone and unnaturally big lips. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2009, 11:50:15 am »
He’s a robot, colored with ash :X
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

The_Dust

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:36 am »
I would think one would be more concerned with the conflict centering around light dragons and dark/black dragons.  The latter being a group of people controlled by a malevolent god trying to enslave the world.  Danc/Karn is the least of anyone's worries as far as political correctedness.  No one bats an eye at Nina's black wings of imminent destruction in BoF2 do they?  His dark skin is a way of setting him apart from the others in the Town of Darkness showing that he is one of the last of an ancient line of people with incredible powers of Fusion.  I would suppose that it is an identifying attribute of his heritage.  IIRC he was found by the leader of the thieves' guild and raised as one of them.

I don't recall ryusui's name being Nintendo of America or his job description including censorship  ::)

Anyways, glad to see that Ryusui is working on this as well.  Fantastic.  I just started another playthru of the BoF2 retrans saw this.  I for one will look forward to the completion of this retrans.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:12 am »
They're actually the White and Black Dragonbrood. The U.S. version calls them the Light and Dark Dragon Clan.

See, that's a phrase I don't like - "Dragon Clan". "Ryu no Ichizoku" is the Japanese name, and yes, it can be translated thus, but it sounds more like a term for a family, rather than the species-like connotations it's supposed to have. But I don't care for BoF3's "Brood", either - I dunno why, but it makes me think of the Zerg.

So I compromised.

Anyways, I haven't worked on the project in a while; the trade-in screen pretty much needs VWF if I'm going to cram in equipment names of respectable length. Eight characters is just not enough, and rearranging things is only going to get me ten at most.

The_Dust

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 06, 2010, 12:40:05 am »
To be fair though, at least as far as considering the dragons, the white/light and black/dark dragons are the same species, but different branches of the same family tree.  The different groups had since reconciled their differences by the time BoF2 rolls around and you see one of them identify himself as a black dragon in Dologany (I forget your name for it) in BoF2.

But whatevs.  Semantics, semantics.  ;)