News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project  (Read 177506 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2009, 02:05:24 pm »
There are really only a few lines I miss from the original. Little things, like "But you're still hungry." and "Ozzie's stumped!". They still kept Dalton's "You are excess baggage!" line, though. ^_^
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2009, 05:14:50 pm »
There are really only a few lines I miss from the original. Little things, like "But you're still hungry." and "Ozzie's stumped!". They still kept Dalton's "You are excess baggage!" line, though. ^_^

I know, I noticed they scrapped the "but you're still hungry."  and I was like "ahhhh man........ why did they get rid of that.."
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:55 pm »
They did? Darn. I use that line in real life sometimes ._.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2009, 08:43:07 pm »
Chrono Cross still used it. :3 (Yes, there's a functioning Enertron in the game. ^_^)

In fact, Chrono Cross was pretty well cross-referenced with the first game's translation. The only gaffe in the whole thing is Guile, who was Alfador in the Japanese version - a subtle clue to his on-again, off-again true identity as Magus (Alfador was the name of Janus' cat, remember?). But then, it's arguably the programmers' fault, not the translators. Chrono Trigger DS even reverse-imported one name from Chrono Cross: the Gold Gemstone's Triple Tech was originally Grand Dream, a reference to the Grandleon (Masamune) sword that Woolsey apparently didn't think to change. The name Grand Dream (Grandream?) appears again in the Japanese version of Chrono Cross, a sword created (IIRC) from combining the Grandleon/Masamune swords from the two alternate timelines, but the U.S. version gives it the more appropriate name of Mastermune - hence the DS version of Chrono Trigger calls the Triple Tech Mastermune as well.

...To be honest, "Masamune" is the only name change that I don't think was a marked improvement over the original. "Mash, Bash and Gash"? That's almost as bad as "Dog, Mag and Rag" (better known as Sandy, Cindy and Mindy, FFIV and FFX's Magus Sisters, no relation to Magus himself XD). The thing that I find clever in retrospect? Melchior, Balthazar and Gaspar have the exact same initials as their Japanese counterparts. I mean, what are the odds that a famous trio of wise men existed in history whose initials matched up perfectly with a trio of fictional wise men in desperate need of new names?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2009, 09:39:41 pm »
That's almost as bad as "Dog, Mag and Rag" (better known as Sandy, Cindy and Mindy, FFIV and FFX's Magus Sisters, no relation to Magus himself XD).
Dogu, Magu, and Ragu are actually based on Dogura Magura, tho. :0
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2009, 10:04:28 pm »
Really, they removed "but you're still hungry."?
Was that also one of Woolsey's fabrications in the original CT? (I know they left out his memorably cheesy lines from FF6A)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:31 pm »
Really, they removed "but you're still hungry."?
Was that also one of Woolsey's fabrications in the original CT? (I know they left out his memorably cheesy lines from FF6A)

Not so much removed as revised. The line is now "But you're still just as hungry as before."

That said, I will say it's a worthwhile tradeoff for how they fixed the corniness of the scene after you emerge from the underground storage in Arris Dome, when the old man says there's something different about Crono and company; Lucca now replies it's because "we haven't lost hope". Amazing how one little change can affect the tone of an entire scene.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »
Careening onto the topic of Breath of Fire...

Ryusui, have you decided what to do with the three Wyndian soldiers' names? They were Sr-1, Sr-2, and Sr-3 in Woolsey's translation. The Japanese GBA version apparently gave them names: Jiiku, Rai, and Enon. While I don't know Enon's relevance, Jiiku and Rai are apparently based off of Jiiku and Raiferu, characters from a Breath of Fire manga. This manga was released after Breath of Fire: Ryu no Senshi for the SFC, but before Breath of Fire: Ryu no Senshi for the GBA. Jiiku and Raiferu are two Wyndian guards who accompany Princess Nina on her journey to find WAT UP WIT NEW DRANOGS. I believe it was called "Princess of the Wings" or somesuch; you can find info about it at Dragon-Tear. By the way, Mary, the person who tried her hand at a text translation of the manga, Romanized the names as Sieg and Raifel.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:22 pm »
so Sieg, Rai, and... Anon?

and... Anon?

Anon

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2009, 09:41:07 pm »
Actually, this is the kind of information I need.

I have room for eight characters per character name (surprised? I sure was!), which means all I have to do is get VWF working for the character name display to be able to use "Builder" and "Gilliam". Unfortunately, it's not enough room for "Soldier 1", "Soldier 2" and "Soldier 3", so having names like Sieg and Raifel to work with means I don't have to bother with kludges. (I'd use "Ryfel" or "Rifel" myself, but out of respect for recognizing "Jiiku" as "Sieg", I'll match Mary's work.) Enon will have to stay Enon (does that look like Hebrew to anyone else?), but I had a bit of a surprise trying to Google the name in katakana with "Breath of Fire" (also in katakana): some of my results had "Enon" in romaji highlighted. Let's see Bing do that.

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:49 pm »
Please god.

Tell me you are going to work on the horrific pictographs they call a menu. Although I don't see how you can really change them without some serious hacking.

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2009, 11:03:57 pm »

Pretty sure he is, though I think it'll look a little bit weird overlaying the other 4 teammates...

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:11 pm »
It works, at the very least. ^_^; Though yeah, I hadn't thought of that. Having never played BoF1 until now, I have no idea how the menus and such are ultimately put together...the furthest I've ever made it on a test playthrough is Karma Tower. I was already aware I'd have to do some reorganizing to get the new menu style to fit in the shop screen...

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2009, 11:17:58 pm »
I already offered to send you a .SRM file. Everyone has all spells and everything... You'd just need to rename the characters. And yes, US and JP .SRM files are interchangable.

EDIT: And in case you didn't know, there's a free rename "shop" at Prima Macca.

EDIT: And the easiest way to get to Macca is to warp to Guntz and walk to the beach there, then walk north until you find the town.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:35:48 pm by vivify93 »

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2009, 01:07:31 am »
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4691/bof100001.png
Pretty sure he is, though I think it'll look a little bit weird overlaying the other 4 teammates...

Shows how coherent I am  :-\, Next time I'll read more than two pages back  :-\

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2009, 07:35:18 pm »
This is kinda out of the blue, but I think Mary's also the girl who discovered the Flowers for Algernon reference in BoFII.

Just throwing that out there.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:45 pm »
Well rock on. I need to find out more about this Mary; I'll have to credit her in the readme if I ever get around to releasing another version of the BoF2 patch.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »
I don't think it's such a big deal. It's the reserve teammates, so I don't think you'd use them as much.
(and you can press Select to open the screen without any menu open to check)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2009, 11:26:52 pm »
If it comes to it, I could always whip out my magic chainsaw and change things around so that only the four active party members are displayed, a la BoF2. The extra screen space would certainly be helpful for other interfaces...

kazuya

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 15, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »
How where the menus in the GBA version of BOF ? Similar to BOF2 ? heh, the first thing I thought when you revealed that you was working on BOF was that you where gonna fix up those menus.