News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project  (Read 172209 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2009, 02:21:29 am »
Wait until after the fact.

I wonder how much knee-jerk hate mail I'm going to get decrying me as an insult to translators everywhere for replacing a Japanese pop culture reference with a Harry Potter in-joke.
Spoiler:
That'd be the throwaway "Hanako of the Toilet"/"Moaning Myrtle" line in the magic school, the one you're all probably tired of hearing about by now. ^_^;

Mercifully, I doubt most of the brain geniuses out there would pick up on the Homestar Runner references I threw in...if they did, I'd be in biiiiig trouble. XD (And wait until you get to the cats.)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

andwhyisit

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2009, 07:32:07 am »
And wait until you get to the cats.
In a re-translation? That's a death sentence right there. Or did you mean the feline variety? :laugh:

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:58 pm »
The cat tenant and its brood. The ones you can talk to with Katt/Lin in Devil form, remember?

Let's just say I was...creative with them. ^_^

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2009, 12:59:31 pm »
Did you have trouble translating that scene, or was it just something that popped into your head? I know you stuck in the Harry Potter reference because of translation difficulties...
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2009, 01:26:24 pm »
They just have silly little lines in the Japanese version; it's more easter eggery than anything (especially considering that you can "recruit" the first cat without Devil Katt/Lin).

And it wasn't "translation difficulties" so much as localizing a pop culture reference. (Come on, a Japanese ghost in a medieval fantasy setting? Moaning Myrtle even fits better than Hanako IMHO.)

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2009, 01:33:50 pm »
I misspoke. I meant localizing. >.<

FWIW, I don't really agree with adding that stuff, but it's not my translation so eh.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Deuce

• A forum is nothing without its members.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2009, 07:40:35 pm »
And it wasn't "translation difficulties" so much as localizing a pop culture reference. (Come on, a Japanese ghost in a medieval fantasy setting? Moaning Myrtle even fits better than Hanako IMHO.)

Maybe they're playing 1st-edition AD&D with the Oriental Adventures book, or whatever it was called. ;)

FWIW, I'm with you.  A good translation should feel like it wasn't translated at all, ideally.
It's a shame.  I kind of liked this place.

"Fascism was a counter-revolution against a revolution that never took place." -- Ignazio Silone

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2009, 03:52:37 pm »
FWIW *Shot*

The Moaning Myrtle reference is valid IMO, considering that it's supposed to be a ghost haunting a bathroom, how else can you get that across with so few words, and still keep it a little humorous.

The beta's been going smoothly. I'm up to Beta Version 5 and I'm dangerously close to a release. Expect it any time from late March to late April.

May I suggest an April 21st release?

For my Birthday? yaya? :-*

(jk for those with no sense of humour)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:26:29 pm by Maegra »

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »

Maybe they're playing 1st-edition AD&D with the Oriental Adventures book, or whatever it was called. ;)
Yep, that's what it was called.  Man, that was a long time ago.
When Reason Fails

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:51 pm »
Spoiler:
That'd be the throwaway "Hanako of the Toilet"/"Moaning Myrtle" line in the magic school, the one you're all probably tired of hearing about by now. ^_^;

you're an insult to translators everywhere for replacing a Japanese pop culture reference with a Harry Potter in-joke!!!11one2

Rand

• View Profile
    • Streaming Old Classics
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2009, 06:32:34 pm »
I'll get over the Harry Potter reference easily enough by seeing everything else you've done to the game with your tweaking, Ryusui.   ::)  If anyone else can't, then that's really their problem.  Great to hear an update again, thanks!
http://www.twitch.tv/randkin
Feel free to watch me both stream old classics and fail miserably with the OBS controls!

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »
if we're talking about personal favors, can you change Chopchop to CHOOOOPPP INTO PIECESSSSS? thanks

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2009, 10:55:29 pm »
It's "Slice" now. The original is "Sengiri", which is roughly "slice into strips". But that's not the reason I chose it.

There are two other attacks listed. I don't remember seeing them myself, but there's also "Mijingiri", which is "chop finely"; this is "Dice" both in the original and in mine. The last one is "Minchi", or "Mince"; more specifically, it refers to ground beef, i.e. hamburger, which is why the U.S. version calls it "GrndBeef". I suppose I could have called it "Mince" as well, but I couldn't help myself...I mean, three food preparation-themed chopping skills in a row? I couldn't pass up such an opportunity in good conscience.

In case you haven't followed my foreshadowing, "Sengiri" ("Chopchop"), "Mijingiri" ("Dice") and "Mince" ("GrndBeef") are now "Slice", "Dice" and "Julienne". XD

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
    • The Journals Of Miri Yuruko
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2009, 11:08:29 pm »
i can't remember if you could get the move the chef used on you, but rather, only the one with verticle strokes...  is there somthing special to do to get the other?  and does anyone know just how it's damage is formulated?  I usually pass it up when i play, but i might want to get a different one when this comes out and i play through it alongside half of my irc group~   that is, if it's worth it.

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »
Did they seriously call it Ground Beef? That's fucking dumb. How would that even be an attack?

I'm assuming they meant Mince as in "to mince" not as in "mincemeat," though Mincemeat would still be better than Ground Beef ("I will cut you into mincemeat!" vs. "I will cut you into ground beef!").

Personally, I think the Julienne thing is a great idea, and is totally hilarious. Though I don't know if normal people will be able to take the game seriously anymore. :P
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:28:19 am by Killa B »
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2009, 12:28:33 am »
Actually, "Minchi"/"Mince" does appear to be a noun, though I guess "Meat Grinder" might have been appropriate in that case.

Still, I'm stickin' with Slice, Dice and Julienne. (Only the first one is actually available for the player's use; I think that Chef Wildcat uses all three, though.)

SeraphSight

• what.
    • View Profile
    • The Journals Of Miri Yuruko
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2009, 01:06:19 am »
Actually, "Minchi"/"Mince" does appear to be a noun, though I guess "Meat Grinder" might have been appropriate in that case.

Still, I'm stickin' with Slice, Dice and Julienne. (Only the first one is actually available for the player's use; I think that Chef Wildcat uses all three, though.)

I know he uses two, but i've actually never seen the meat grinder one.   So you CAN only get the one, alright then, i was just making sure.

andwhyisit

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2009, 01:34:36 am »
Don't April Fools us with a fake release because I'd never forgive you. :laugh:
@Ryusui: Do it! ;)

wertigon

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2009, 05:11:40 pm »
Interesting.

I can't seem to find any reference at all to the GrndBeef special ability in Ben Siron's manual. Granted, that manual has missed a few useful things, but I think it has listed all the skills atleast...

Could it be that it's dummied out or something?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2009, 05:27:43 pm »
It's entirely possible. There's also another spell, "Katomana", which was in BoF1 as "Wall" but has no effect in BoF2. (Needless to say, since the spell doesn't show up in official capacity in any other games, I did change the name to "Wall" as well. Pointless? You betcha, but I'm a consistency freak.)