News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project  (Read 153453 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:51:09 am »
It's back. And it's still going.

FOR NEWCOMERS TO THIS PROJECT:

The Breath of Fire 2 retranslation project has been going on for several years now. It was originally started by d4s, a German programmer and a SNES hacking virtuoso. The goal of the project was to enhance the original game with several new aesthetic and useful features: VWF, gradient text boxes, a run button, and just for the hell of it, a technologically impressive (but kinda ugly IMHO) new intro movie that plays before the title screen, complete with "Owaranai Ai" ("Endless Love"), the song that was originally used in the Japanese commercial for the game (which replaces the original dramatic theme music).

After the original German version was completed in 2006, I signed on to handle the English translation. What can I say? I played BoF2 on GBA and decided "I could do a better translation than this"; it was time to put up or shut up. It's been a rough road since then: right now the project is basically in my hands, and I've made a fair number of bugfixes and improvements myself. Right now the project is bug-free as far as I know, and I'm currently working on another revision of my English script.

Let's have a little recap of where we've been and where we're headed, shall we?

1. The font went from bordered to shadowed and back again. In the process it lost the skeleton of the eye-bleeding original BoF2 FWF and became something sharper, more Courier-like. Opinions have been mixed, but it's generally agreed that bordered works better with the fancy gradients and transparency effects, and the new font overall looks better than the old one (though it's not shaded or smoothed in any way, shape or form).

2. People who know enough German to play the existing "improvement" patch (or can fake it well enough to struggle through the game) are probably aware that you can't buy stacks of items. This is because d4s disabled the counters so he could fit longer item names. With a bit of imagination and a little cheating I was able to re-enable them, so now you can buy stacks of items once again (but the mod-happy should be warned that eternal damnation or at least unpredictable effects await those who try to give any stackable item a price higher than 999 Zenny).

3. There is a bug in the existing patch, a game-killing freeze, that occurs if you are foolhardy enough to try opening the menu while in the hunting grounds. This happens because the decompression routine that unpacks that shiny new background graphic and its accompanying tilemap happens to stomp on data that the game stores upon entering the hunting grounds and needs to reload when exiting. This has also been fixed, by ever-so-slightly unorthodox means: said graphic is now uncompressed (though its brother on the title screen is not, and will remain that way unless it affects anything else in ways d4s didn't predict).

4. The latest bug is actually due to a fix I made earlier. Go to the Items menu in the German patch and scroll down. Just. One. Space. Can't do it, can you? Well, that's been fixed too, but that's besides the point. Just scroll down until the up arrow displays. Now, while the up arrow is visible, scroll back up to the top. Magic! The up arrow is glued in place! d4s disabled the routine that normally blanked out the up arrow so it wouldn't randomly delete letters in the character stats; I figured out an alternate way to pull it off, but it's triggered in places it wasn't meant to, meaning the prompt for the auto-sort function (and, as I later noticed, the scroll arrows) will not display if the last thing you did was check Key Items (a.k.a. "Specials"). So all I have to do is figure out a different place to insert my fix; perhaps the routine that actually prints the stats would be a wise place to put it...

5. Every effort has been made to restore features cut from the "improvement" patch, such as the HP and MP counters in the battle menues. This does not, and likely will not extend to restoring the original title screen music: doing so would probably necessitate cutting out the fancy new opening movie with its nice music. Which, frankly, wouldn't bother me at all: if it were my choice I'd cut out just about all the excess gravy d4s threw in and stick with the VWF, the run button, the extended names, expanded menues, bank swapping for the text pointers, etc. I've tried twice thus far to do so, in fact, and failed miserably: the good is intertwined so inextricably with the pointless that it's just easier to grit my teeth, call it a necessary evil and soldier on. And yes, this extends to the prospect of removing the opening movie as well. So unless a significant number of people make it very clear that they're not going to play the translation unless I cut out the opening movie and restore the original title screen music, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

6. The character's full name will be given in the ending cast roll as "Linpoo 'Lin' Xiuan". First, the name is obviously supposed to be faux-Chinese in the first place, and second, while she is referred to in the rest of the game as "Lin", this allows me to state that it's a nickname and nothing else, so the foaming, raving purists *cough* will have one less excuse to split hairs with me. In a reversal, her ill-fated distaff counterpart will be addressed in those same ending credits as "Tiga 'Tigger' Lee". Yes, "Tigger" is supposed to be the character's proper name, but would him getting brutally murdered by Habaruk have nearly the emotional impact with a silly name like that?

7. To reiterate: beta-testing will begin after I myself have played the game from beginning to end without encountering any notable glitches. Since every attempt I have made to do so has usually run into a fresh new glitch, this project may take a while to enter beta even after I've squashed the latest bug and rewritten the script again. ^_^

So...re-discuss, re-enjoy, re-anything that comes to mind. It's good to be back.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:24:36 pm by Ryusui »
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:07:09 pm »
I just double-checked the German version and, unsurprisingly, the fusion box scrolling glitch is in there, too. Damn.

EDIT: Aaaaand fixed. Phew. Thank God for unused Engrish text strings. Part of the problem was that the strings of border characters used to redraw the menu border after scrolling were broken due to another one of d4s' hacks (but a necessary one). I fixed that by moving the string to the old battle messages. :3

The rest was just offset-hunting. I also had to fix the sticky scroll arrows, but it's all done now. Hopefully this is the laaaaast major bit of hacking I'll have to take care of.

EDIT #2: All right. All that stands between me and triumph is the good ol' Abyss Tower. :3

Now, I know that ideally my levels should be in the 40-45 range, but I'd also like to know what kind of equipment I should bring to the grand finale. Just FYI, I screwed up and didn't get Beretta, so AFAIK I'm screwed out of at least one ultimate...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:34:11 am by Ryusui »

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
Re: Breath of Fire 2 Retranslation Project
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:25 am »
BoyDR

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:21:19 am »
It's a Bowie Knife in my translation. ^_^

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:33:14 am »
Now, I know that ideally my levels should be in the 40-45 range, but I'd also like to know what kind of equipment I should bring to the grand finale. Just FYI, I screwed up and didn't get Beretta, so AFAIK I'm screwed out of at least one ultimate...
Ryu's Empire Sword is inaccessible once the Flying Bird is gone. To get it, you need to land near Township's original spot (slightly east and south), it's a small strip of vertical land that has a fishing spot. Bring the Charm Rod and dig up the chest.

Katt's Meow Staff is a rare drop from dude's that look like death. They are found near where you would acquire Anfini.

--Edit--

Those bastards.

--/Edit--

Jean's...I forget what it is, is a rare drop from purple zombie knights (called N.Riders, Night Riders I assume, they are on purple horses). They are on an island directly east of St. Eva's Main Church. Must have bird or flying town to get to.

Rand has some armor in a chest in a fishing spot near Gate. Accessible anytime.

That's all I can remember. :'(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:03:37 am by Lenophis »

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:43 am »
Yeah, Nightrider is the common interpretation of "N-Rider"...but it's actually Ragnarider. Don't ask me how they got "N-Rider" out of that.

Its brother in the Abyss Tower is called Golgotharider in the original Japanese and Calvarider in my version.

wertigon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:09:26 am »
Medusa shields (best shield in game) are sold by Maniro in a fishing spot southwest of CotLand/FarmTown, 55 000 gold a piece. You have to fight on the mainland to trigger it and then use Jean to jump over to it. Refer to this map: http://www.geocities.com/sabin_2002/BoF2_Map.html It's in D10.

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:04 am »
Haha I remember fighting N-Riders for a good hour or two and getting 2 NoTwinRPs out of the deal  :D

And Medusa Shields FTW!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:49:49 pm »
Oh, and a bit more info on how things are different in my version:

That "Carm" enemy is "Charon" in the original Japanese and in my translation. I nearly threw out the name "Karon" as gibberish before I realized it was the Greek pronunciation.

"NoTwinRP" is a misromanization of "Nothung", a legendary sword more familiar to Western audiences as "Balmung".

And so everyone's clear, Anfini is "Infinity" as per the third game (the original name itself being the French "Enfini" meaning the same thing).

Anyways, thanks for the info, all. With any luck, my alpha will be done inside the week. :3

Illumina

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:16:16 am »
So glad to hear this is nearing completion, been waiting for this one for a long time. As far as equipment goes other than what has been mentioned already, Rand's FinalKn always came in handy to me due to its ability to one-hit-KO at random. Taking Jean in as his Shamanized form is also always a good bet. MotherRb's offer some good protection to most of your party. SacredSh's, dropped by the nasty K. Sludges, are also some great equipment. That's about what I can remember, hopefully you didn't miss the EmpireSd.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 05:39:05 am »
It's done.

All that's left now is the damn ending cast list. Ah, the damn ending cast list. You know how much trouble I went through this evening? I had to kill Deathevan three times (once with a hastily-improvised cheat) in order to get the damn ending cast list to freaking display. That's right. The code d4s gave me had a glitch in it where it was loading the damn ending cast list from the wrong damn place. Fortunately, I was able to fix it - after killing Deathevan three times and figuring out that, for reasons only God knows, d4s' German-language patch requires a ROM with a header (which I had to add myself). I'd call it willful sabotage by this point if it wasn't so close to the point of not freakin' caring.

And inserting the damn ending cast list is no simple click-and-I'm-done job. Oh, no. It's compressed. All that free space in the ROM and d4s had the damn ending cast list compressed. Plus, it needs to be compiled as a bit of ASM. So every time I want to change the damn ending cast list, I have to first compile it, then compress it, and then and only then let the batch file insert it with everything else.

...Come to think of it, there's really nothing stopping me from automating the process in my batch file, is there? Hmm. The things you think of when you're in a murderous, three-times-killing Deathevan rage.

(For those of you who want to know my trick, here it is: Deathevan's data in memory is around 7E1400, if I remember correctly. Just search for his name in memory and there it is. Shortly after it, look for the sequence 10 27 10 27. $2710 is 10,000 in hex, which happens to be Deathevan's HP. Change that first 10 27 10 27 to 01 00 and Deathevan will die in one hit. This will work, FYI, on any enemy. Who the hell needs cheat codes?)

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:33 am »
Wow, the project is that close to complete? Nice. I've been waiting a long time to play this.

Interesting code for making the last boss dying in one hit, you can effectively turn him into Generalissimo Maka Maka, I guess (that's what I called him in my translation. I wasn't going to do it initially, but the game's supposed to be goofy.)  ;) Also, if the hex is 10 27 10 27, why does it work if you only change the first 10 27? If it's there twice, shouldn't you have to change it twice?
ロウ「カーネイジッ! キサマっ!
カーネイジ「その口を閉じたまえ! 汚らしいコトバで、私を呼ぶな。

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • Kajitani-Eizan's Patch Site
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:26 am »
HP and Max HP?

for best effect, use Snipe. "oh crap i failed, 1 damage-- HOLY CRAP I DID IT"

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:48:10 am »
Very nice! Is the cast list going to have Capcom's staff names in addition to the characters and NPC's that were in the original credits?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 02:26:30 pm »
Wow, the project is that close to complete? Nice. I've been waiting a long time to play this.

Interesting code for making the last boss dying in one hit, you can effectively turn him into Generalissimo Maka Maka, I guess (that's what I called him in my translation. I wasn't going to do it initially, but the game's supposed to be goofy.)  ;) Also, if the hex is 10 27 10 27, why does it work if you only change the first 10 27? If it's there twice, shouldn't you have to change it twice?

It's his current HP and max HP. I would imagine changing the second instance as opposed to the first would result in some interesting effects.

Very nice! Is the cast list going to have Capcom's staff names in addition to the characters and NPC's that were in the original credits?

Ha ha, no. I don't have a list of all the staff involved, for one thing. For another, that'd probably take quite a bit of hacking to pull off.

NukaCola

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »
What were the differences between the GBA and SNES BoF2 credits again? Didn't they differ in some way?

Anyhow from what I remember of the SNES credits, there were just a lot of names, even naming NPC's that didn't matter much in the game. And I think there were aliases of Capcom employees thrown in the mix as well. Such a weird way to do credits.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 02:39:58 pm »
Indeed. Fortunately, I've expelled most of the Engrish nonsense.

Paying close attention to the original credits will reveal a handful of pop culture references (the most obscure of which is probably mentioned in-game, as Kilgore Trout is a character by the author Kurt Vonnegut - as is the term "Granfalloon", which infamously replaced "Legion" in the original - and otherwise superior - localization of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night). I couldn't resist the temptation to add in a few of my own. :3

EDIT: Idiot me. Getting it to insert an uncompressed version was easy. Now to make sure it all displays properly...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:33:30 pm by Ryusui »

Yubi Shines

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 08:19:23 pm »
It's nearly done, then? Awesome!

Kilgore Trout is supposed to be an obscure reference? It's one of the little things I love about the game.

Speaking of awesome minor details, does the carpenter still say "HEY, STUPID! I DID IT!" when he's done building three houses?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 08:55:19 pm »
To be honest, I can't remember what he says now. There are over 3000 strings in the script, after all. ^_^;

As for Kilgore Trout...*shrugs* Well, I had never heard of him until I stumbled upon the reference's origin on TV Tropes. And I'm shocked and appalled at myself for only now having noticed that the cast list for Wyndia is a long list of authors' names (including references to Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. LeGuin, Truman Capote and F. Scott Fitzgerald). There's also a "John B(yrne)" and "Thomas P(ynchon)" on the list under "Watchmen"...I had half a mind to change these two names to "Alan M." and "Dave G.", though I probably won't.

As for the Thief's Tomb list, most of the names were just vaguely Japanese nonsense. Now they're "Frank S.", "Dean M.", "Sammy D.", "Peter L.", "Richard C." and "Cesar R.", i.e. the cast of the original Ocean's 11, and the potential tenant you find there is now named George (for George Clooney, who played Danny Ocean in the Ocean's 11 remake).

And it's not "nearly done". I'll consider it done after a round of beta testing. Once I'm happy with what I've got on my hands right now, it'll fall to a band of lucky(?) players to make absolutely sure everything's working properly. I'm fairly sure the programming end of things is solid, and the script makes sense from end to end, but it's all the little side forks I'm worried about...

Maegra

• Negative Nancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 09:02:03 pm »
I can honestly say the translation of this game is the thing that I have been anticipating more than any other game release. Second closest anticipation was back in 2k when Nintendo announced the end of the Metroid drought. And only one of the things to come out of that was significantly worth the wait ( And it wasn't from Japan.... ::)).

He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply, he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream.