News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 1 & 2  (Read 168697 times)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
Re: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 1 & 2
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:06 pm »
if you're still wanting to have all the spell names matched up with the official localizations, there's a couple differences i've seen (i'm not very far in yet):
Dorminal should be Dorminar
Bufulama should be Bufurama (similarly, if the other element spells use "-lama" they should be "-rama", but "-laon" should stay "-laon" rather than "-raon")

everything else so far looks good.  thanks for the hard work, we all appreciate the wonderful, quality job you've done :)

Thank you for the compliment, just trying my best. :)

Which games have those as the spellings? I've seen "Dormina" as the multi-target sleep spell in games as recent as SMT4, and have been considering changing that one. And it looks like the only other time the -rama or -laon spells appeared were in the GB Revelations game, though it was -rao instead.

tathra

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2014, 12:16:35 am »
Which games have those as the spellings? I've seen "Dormina" as the multi-target sleep spell in games as recent as SMT4, and have been considering changing that one. And it looks like the only other time the -rama or -laon spells appeared were in the GB Revelations game, though it was -rao instead.

dia is the only spell commonly seen at the -rama level (diarama and mediarama) and megido is the only one commonly seen at -laon level (megidolaon), so i'm going off those.  as for dormina, when i was entering demon data at the megamitensei wiki i put it in as "dorminal" and one of the admins changed it to "dorminar", though i'm not really sure why or if there's anything official for that; using "dormina" would probably be fine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:22:27 am by tathra »

Booky

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2014, 05:35:21 am »
I was going through Mazurka, when I noticed another missing piece of punctuation:

http://i.imgur.com/wlXdzAc.png

Other then that, I haven't noticed anything else so far.  :)

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:42 am »
Hey there, made this account just to mention if there are any bugs in Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei as I play through it. First of all, amazing work you have done so far on KMT, DDStranslation. I thoroughly enjoyed and am still enjoying it :)

That being said, I do have one bug for MTII that I noticed awhile back, especially when I was going through Zaratan Island. Since using a Core Shield or two is important there, I tried using one in your first release candidate. However, the game immediately crashed upon using one. I tried it in two-three other locations throughout the game and in later release candidate versions, and the game still crashes/freezes when using a Core Shield.

One other bug I noticed is the elevator in Ginza near the end of the game (hoping to avoid spoilers here, but it's before you face the last 3-4 bosses in Ginza). The text for which floors to select while in the elevator is a little glitchy, as if there's too much spacing between B2F and B5F. In other words, it's as if the B2F text overlaps the B5F text.

Other than these two bugs/glitches I found, MT II plays like a dream. Thanks again for all the hard work you've done.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »
dia is the only spell commonly seen at the -rama level (diarama and mediarama) and megido is the only one commonly seen at -laon level (megidolaon), so i'm going off those.  as for dormina, when i was entering demon data at the megamitensei wiki i put it in as "dorminal" and one of the admins changed it to "dorminar", though i'm not really sure why or if there's anything official for that; using "dormina" would probably be fine.

True. Ok, I'll change them to "-rama".

I was going through Mazurka, when I noticed another missing piece of punctuation:

http://i.imgur.com/wlXdzAc.png

Other then that, I haven't noticed anything else so far.  :)

Yep, I just made it to that part of the game. There's actually a second half of the sentence missing: "to defend myself?" I forgot to put a newline at the end of that, and it affects dialogue that precedes a "Yes/No" prompt. I re-checked the MT1 script and it seems I left that out in 2 or 3 places, and have them fixed now. I will look over the MT2 script next to see if I missed any in there.

Hey there, made this account just to mention if there are any bugs in Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei as I play through it. First of all, amazing work you have done so far on KMT, DDStranslation. I thoroughly enjoyed and am still enjoying it :)

That being said, I do have one bug for MTII that I noticed awhile back, especially when I was going through Zaratan Island. Since using a Core Shield or two is important there, I tried using one in your first release candidate. However, the game immediately crashed upon using one. I tried it in two-three other locations throughout the game and in later release candidate versions, and the game still crashes/freezes when using a Core Shield.

One other bug I noticed is the elevator in Ginza near the end of the game (hoping to avoid spoilers here, but it's before you face the last 3-4 bosses in Ginza). The text for which floors to select while in the elevator is a little glitchy, as if there's too much spacing between B2F and B5F. In other words, it's as if the B2F text overlaps the B5F text.

Other than these two bugs/glitches I found, MT II plays like a dream. Thanks again for all the hard work you've done.

Thank you for the report. That's major if it's causing the game to crash. I will look into it immediately. As for the Ginza one, I looked real quick at the place where it stores those floor numbers, and it seems like I made a typo for the number of tiles to use for "B5F". That will be an easy fix.

*Edit: I have fixed the Core Shield bug and will upload a new build soon. I would just like to go over the MT2 script regarding the earlier "Yes/No" bug and verify that it won't appear again as well.

**Further Edit: I left out the "Agirama Stone" and "Bufurama Stone" items with the spell re-name, and uploaded a new version in its place. The version number will remain the same, but if anyone downloaded it between 3:30 and 4:00, that is the only difference between the two patches.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:05:19 pm by ddstranslation »

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 20, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »
It's all good :) Good luck on the rest of the translation.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 20, 2014, 05:08:29 pm »
It's all good :) Good luck on the rest of the translation.

Thank you. :) Hopefully this game will be ready for release soon so that others waiting on the fence can finally play it without worry.

*Edit: Still playing through the game, and re-discovered a bug I remember noticing when playing it so many years ago. When you get further into the game, like in MT1, sometimes you come across treasure chests that are already empty. This bug was in the original Super Famicom version, but I think it was fixed when it was re-released for the Wii Virtual Console.

It seems like the game stores treasure chests according to map coordinates, and then flags each one as opened or unopened in RAM. But the way it calculates which flag to check or set is flawed, and will usually check against bytes that represent chests that you opened earlier in the game. I have a fix for this, and while looking at it, I also discovered that some chests are set to have randomized contents. Which would explain why I kept finding different things than what maps on the internet said they would contain.

These random chests seem to look at a "step counter", which increments by one for every step you take, and loops from 255 back to 0. Loading a saved game doesn't seem to reset it, since it's saved with the file. But anyway, the chests seem to contain money when it's between 0 and 111, a monster when it's between 112 and 159, and Magnetite when it's between 160 and 255.

I guess as long as I'm spouting game trivia, the rooms where the game says "You look around..." are rolling a dice to see if you'll find an item. I haven't checked if the Luck stat can affect it, but basically you have a 1/16 chance to discover an item when it says that. And if you pass that check, it has a 1/16 chance of the item being a Soma, or else it's a Jewel.

Same thing with the Terminals in MT2. When you teleport to a new location and it's displaying the "Transfer complete" message, there's a 1/256 chance it will display an easter egg message. Well, there's 2 messages, so if you pass the first roll, it's a 50/50 split of which message you get.

Just putting this out there for anyone curious about the game.

**2nd Update: I've finally finished playing through MT1 and modified some dialogue along the way, as well as cleaning up the ending which was slightly broken. I will also modify the "Error" graphic at the end into English, and then post an update. And of course it will include the "empty chest" fix noted above. Then it's on to testing MT2.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:02:47 am by ddstranslation »

Booky

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2014, 09:32:04 am »
Found another small typo in Mazurka:

http://i.imgur.com/CKM7d2W.png

I have a question: how are multiple hits from a weapon that can hit more than once decided? Is it with the Speed stat?  :)

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:23 pm »
Found another small typo in Mazurka:

http://i.imgur.com/CKM7d2W.png

I have a question: how are multiple hits from a weapon that can hit more than once decided? Is it with the Speed stat?  :)

Good catch, thank you.

For multi-hit weapons, the game seems to keep a table of each weapon's potential hits, with 4 entries each. So for example, a weapon that can hit 1-3 times looks something like (1, 2, 2, 3). It pulls a random number from the RNG and does a modulo 4, and then pulls the number of hits from that. So in that example, it's a 25% chance for 1 hit, 50% chance for 2 hits, and 25% chance for 3 hits.

As far as I can see, no player stat affects the hit count. :(

*Edit: I guess as long as I'm looking at combat... It looks like Luck affects accuracy. The game takes your Luck stat, adds 96 (60 in hex), pulls a random number from the RNG (between 0 and 255), multiplies the 2 numbers, then takes the quotient from dividing by 256 (or essentially, the high byte from 16 bits). Then that number is compared to the weapon's base accuracy (or more like, its miss rate), and it has to match or beat that number to land a hit.

So basically, if you roll a zero from the RNG (which actually happened to me when testing this), you're going to miss no matter what. I was testing with an Aura Sword, which has a miss value of 10, and my character had 10 Luck.

10 Luck means my starting value was 106. So that means I essentially have to roll a 25 or better from the RNG to land a hit. Which is like, a 90% chance to hit I think. I'm sure someone more skilled in mathematics can derive some accuracy formula from all this.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:13:45 pm by ddstranslation »

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2014, 02:35:21 pm »
Good catch, thank you.

For multi-hit weapons, the game seems to keep a table of each weapon's potential hits, with 4 entries each. So for example, a weapon that can hit 1-3 times looks something like (1, 2, 2, 3). It pulls a random number from the RNG and does a modulo 4, and then pulls the number of hits from that. So in that example, it's a 25% chance for 1 hit, 50% chance for 2 hits, and 25% chance for 3 hits.

As far as I can see, no player stat affects the hit count. :(

*Edit: I guess as long as I'm looking at combat... It looks like Luck affects accuracy. The game takes your Luck stat, adds 96 (60 in hex), pulls a random number from the RNG (between 0 and 255), multiplies the 2 numbers, then takes the quotient from dividing by 256 (or essentially, the high byte from 16 bits). Then that number is compared to the weapon's base accuracy (or more like, its miss rate), and it has to match or beat that number to land a hit.

So basically, if you roll a zero from the RNG (which actually happened to me when testing this), you're going to miss no matter what. I was testing with an Aura Sword, which has a miss value of 10, and my character had 10 Luck.

10 Luck means my starting value was 106. So that means I essentially have to roll a 25 or better from the RNG to land a hit. Which is like, a 90% chance to hit I think. I'm sure someone more skilled in mathematics can derive some accuracy formula from all this.

I was always wondering how that worked with weapons that can hit 1-3 times in MT I and II. Good thing that in MT I at least I do try to max that out on the MC because I notice that every few points that's put into luck, it increases your HP.

On another note, I think I may have run into another possible glitch/bug recently in MT II, and it's related to the Devil Analyzer (after getting it from the Intelligence Building in Shibuya). And I didn't notice this until the end of the game because I hadn't messed around with the Devil Analyzer all that often. But for some reason, and it doesn't happen with all demons that get recorded, but when I scroll through the list, the game freezes and gives me a black screen.

For me anyway, it does that when Siren is recorded in the Analyzer. When I scroll past her, that's when the freeze/crash occurs. And I can't say for certain that it's really Siren that causes it, more than likely for me it was from an end-game normal enemy or boss.

I should also note that this happened on Release Candidate C, so I hadn't checked if this happens on RC_E yet, but I will. Nevertheless, since you're testing MT II now, this is a bit of a heads-up about the Devil Analyzer.

*Edit: Yep, it happens in RC_E as well as I just checked who's currently on the Devil Analyzer in my game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:48:13 pm by NinjaTurtle82 »

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »
I was always wondering how that worked with weapons that can hit 1-3 times in MT I and II. Good thing that in MT I at least I do try to max that out on the MC because I notice that every few points that's put into luck, it increases your HP.

On another note, I think I may have run into another possible glitch/bug recently in MT II, and it's related to the Devil Analyzer (after getting it from the Intelligence Building in Shibuya). And I didn't notice this until the end of the game because I hadn't messed around with the Devil Analyzer all that often. But for some reason, and it doesn't happen with all demons that get recorded, but when I scroll through the list, the game freezes and gives me a black screen.

For me anyway, it does that when Siren is recorded in the Analyzer. When I scroll past her, that's when the freeze/crash occurs. And I can't say for certain that it's really Siren that causes it, more than likely for me it was from an end-game normal enemy or boss.

I should also note that this happened on Release Candidate C, so I hadn't checked if this happens on RC_E yet, but I will. Nevertheless, since you're testing MT II now, this is a bit of a heads-up about the Devil Analyzer.

*Edit: Yep, it happens in RC_E as well as I just checked who's currently on the Devil Analyzer in my game.

Would you be able to post a save file so I can try it on my PC? That's strange that it would only happen for a specific monster.

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »
Done and done. Hope it helps out in the long run.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2014, 06:26:41 pm »
Done and done. Hope it helps out in the long run.

It was indeed a great help. Thank you. :)

*Edit: I'm still making my way through MT2 (just beat Bael), and noticing quite a few mistranslated or confusing lines.

I'm not sure if people have had a chance to test the special events that happen in part 2 when you play from the end of part 1, so I'll try to list them out. I got these from a Japanese web page, but it seems accurate as far as I can tell. And obviously, much of this will be spoilers, so I'll hide them under that tag.

Secret Events in Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei:
Spoiler:
  • Obtaining Hinokagutsuchi - Once you defeat or ally with Lucifer, return to the spot where you found the Nihil sword from the statue in Ueno. The sword should then be there.
  • Jack Frost, Jr. - Go to a room with an empty treasure chest, then take one step outside, and then push Down on the control pad 31 times, and then re-enter the room. He will ask if you know his Mama, so say yes. You will receive $3000, 3000 MAG and 10,000 EXP. After this, you can encounter a Jack o'Lantern in the area outside Bael's Castle and talk to him. Doing so should trigger an extra message and will let you find Jack Frost, Jr. one more time.
  • Susanoo - When the Girl gets captured by Astaroth in the Forest, enter the cave in the northwest part of the region and find the area where it says "You see traces of someone having been here." There should be a girl there who asks to join you, so say Yes. Make sure you have a spot in your party. If you refuse or don't have a spot free, this event will not occur again.
  • Rag's Shop Member's Card - In MT1, if you enter Rag's Shop more than twice, you'll receive a Member's Card. If you beat MT1 and then exit the Devil Buster game on MT2, you can talk to the boy in the shelter and he'll give you the card. Take the card to Rag's Shop and you'll trade it in for a Heidrun, which restores all HP, MP and removes any status except DEAD.
  • Izanami's Robe - In MT1 in Mazurka, you can find a Silk Thread item that you can take to Izanami. If you continue on to MT2 and meet Izanami in Belial's Castle and revive her, she will give you Izanami's Robe.
  • The 4 Gods - Play MT2 from a MT1 cleared save, and when you defeat Bael, destroy the frog. After that, rooms where you saw a message saying "A stagnant air is flowing here" will teleport you to a new map (DDS' note: the 3 rooms are in Shinjuku Underground, Bael's Castle and the Forest of Confusion's northwest cave). In here, spots where you run into Green Slimes are places where you have a chance to meet a special Deity demon (DDS' note: It's a 1/32 chance). They are Artemis, Leto, and Apollo. If you collect all 3 and then fuse them together, you will receive Deity Zeus.
  • Jack Frost's Mama and Papa - Play a MT2 game from a MT1 cleared save, and collect the Heidrun. Then obtain a "Fallen Angel Wing" from the Code Breaker game in Bael's Castle. Then trigger the event with Jack Frost, Jr. After that, if you go to a Cathedral of Shadows, Papa will appear and give you Qing Long, Bai Long and Kali. Once you beat MT2 and return to the shelter, go see the nurse and Mama will appear and introduce you to the 4 hidden gods.
  • Mountain of Trash - Play MT2 from a MT1 cleared save, destroy Bael as a frog, and do not get Hinokagutsuchi. If these conditions are met, you can go to B2F of Ginza and find the mountain of trash. Searching it will give you $5000 and 2000 MAG, and then a crystal ball will appear in the back. Answer Yes when it asks if you'll touch it. You'll be warped to a new map with a lot of high level enemies. You can escape by finding the room with the elder. If you go to the mountain before fulfilling those 3 conditions or answer No when asked to touch the crystal, it will not reappear and you will not be able to warp.

I'll edit these as I verify them in-game.

08-27-14 Update: I've finished playing through MT2 and made many, many changes to the dialogue for a more accurate translation. I have also discovered a few bugs along the way, like the upper-left MAG and macca counters sometimes displaying zero when you enter a store or room (I made a change in the code that should fix this, but it happens extremely rarely and I haven't been able to reproduce it). I have also discovered one more bug with the in-combat item menu, where it will display garbage if you have more than 9 items and attempt to scroll through them.

As soon as I finish fixing that last bug, the game should be ready for an official release. If you are still in the process of beta testing the game and have anything to report, please do so soon. I am planning to gather all my notes, tools and source code that I used for this project and will put them on the Romhacking Aerie site along with the official release. It is my hope that it might prove useful to those that wish to localize the game in their own language or to serve as examples for people interested in learning how to program.

*Further Edit: The last bug is fixed. I will spend the next day or so getting everything ready for the release, and then it just might be time to celebrate. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:52:20 am by ddstranslation »

Orden

• View Profile
    • Traducciones de Orden
« Reply #253 on: August 27, 2014, 09:52:57 am »
Damn, if I was an sculptor I would build you a statue.
It saddens me I could not help with beta testing. I am still in MT1 in Bien because I could not play it before so I have not found anything to report.

I am planning to gather all my notes, tools and source code that I used for this project and will put them on the Romhacking Aerie site along with the official release. It is my hope that it might prove useful to those that wish to localize the game in their own language or to serve as examples for people interested in learning how to program.
Ahh, I wanted to ask if I could translate KMT to Spanish using your patch as a base! I digged around the patched rom to see what I could do and maybe learn something, but I didn't do anything serious because I wanted to wait for the finished translation to ask for permission.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2014, 12:48:43 pm »
Damn, if I was an sculptor I would build you a statue.
It saddens me I could not help with beta testing. I am still in MT1 in Bien because I could not play it before so I have not found anything to report.
Ahh, I wanted to ask if I could translate KMT to Spanish using your patch as a base! I digged around the patched rom to see what I could do and maybe learn something, but I didn't do anything serious because I wanted to wait for the finished translation to ask for permission.

Heh, don't feel bad about it. Everyone else has been more than generous enough with all the feedback, so I think everything is covered.

About translating to Spanish, sure, I don't mind at all! I do want to say that it would likely be much easier if you could wait for me to release my tools and notes. The utility I've written for modifying dialogue will save a lot of headaches for recalculating pointers and having to guess the width of your text. And I guess since you have looked at the insides of the translation, you can see that everything is out in the open and easily modified. All the graphics and text lists are at the end of the file, as I circumvented the compression routines for ease of use and modification.

I also have that fix for the "Push L or B" map graphic that you mentioned on the other forum, and I'll just include it in the release. It should be located with the rest of the modified graphics.

*Edit: Just putting this here in case people read from the end of the thread. The project is completed! And the front page has been updated with a link to the official release. A lot of the dialogue in MT2 has been updated, and all bugs should be fixed now. I have a second update pending that will contain the rest of the materials promised.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:54:13 pm by ddstranslation »

NinjaTurtle82

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »
So the project is completed, you say? That is awesome, DDStranslation :) Noticed the secret events in the above post, and now I'll have to go back and check out the ones I missed, especially with the final product. Should be fun indeed. Congrats, man, you've earned it.

Ninten

• View Profile
    • DDS-NET
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2014, 04:14:24 am »
You are going to be heralded as a legend in the Western MegaTen community. At least by me, that's for sure.

Thank you for your hard work!
Co-creator of the MegaTen message board, DDS-NET

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2014, 04:18:29 am »
Now you should submit a RHDN database entry and a short news post ;)
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52:05 am »
Congratulations on the final release! I've been playing Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the past few weeks using the beta patches and have been enjoying the game immensely, despite not being very good at it. I look forward to playing version 1.0 and I thank everyone involved for all their hard work!

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2014, 10:45:28 am »
So the project is completed, you say? That is awesome, DDStranslation :) Noticed the secret events in the above post, and now I'll have to go back and check out the ones I missed, especially with the final product. Should be fun indeed. Congrats, man, you've earned it.

Thank you. Couldn't have done it without you. :)

You are going to be heralded as a legend in the Western MegaTen community. At least by me, that's for sure.

Thank you for your hard work!

Heh, it was my pleasure. Hope you enjoy it!

Now you should submit a RHDN database entry and a short news post ;)

Alright, I'll look at it now. And thanks for getting the webpages activated. :)

*Edit: I just submitted an entry in. Wow, they're really strict about how you enter stuff in.

Congratulations on the final release! I've been playing Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the past few weeks using the beta patches and have been enjoying the game immensely, despite not being very good at it. I look forward to playing version 1.0 and I thank everyone involved for all their hard work!

Thanks, glad to hear you've been enjoying it. I wish I could shake everyone's hands that helped out on it, it was a big help.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:28:54 pm by ddstranslation »