I fought my first enemy and...well, I got 84 level ups.
That is truly bizarre. What emulator are you playing on? Are you playing from a clean save?
Reporting in with my own bug reports. I'm running the game on SNES9X, if that's a factor. I imagine it is.
I went to sell some items at the shop in Micon, and the names of items in my inventory are mangled. I had a Jackknife and 2 Jewels on me at the time, and their names reported as E F G H I and J K L respectively. I left the shop to go see what I had in my inventory, and they displayed fine. I went back in to the shop, went to sell them again, and their names had changed like so:
It's text from the item menu, but you probably already noticed that. I sold the Jackknife and now the Jewel's name displays fine. It's not a major problem; it's not crashing the game, and I can work around it.
Fantastic work, by the way. Thanks for releasing this.
Thank you for discovering this bug and documenting it. It must be a bug with the updating display. I will see if I can tighten it to work more reliably.
To anyone curious about why names are appearing as alphabetic sequences, it's related to how I'm drawing the names and uploading to the SNES' video memory. I am only allowed to modify what's on screen during a refresh, but the game is using the majority of that time doing its own thing, and by the time it reaches my code, I have little time left. So sometimes all of the text gets in, sometimes half of it, or sometimes none at all.
In the last batch of fixes, I have been steadily inserting my own redrawing code into the game's interrupt code. It's why I labelled the last fix as experimental. A lot of things can go wrong if you throw off the timing of the game by even a few cycles, and I worry that if I try to do too much in there, it will crash the game. I already spent the last 2 weeks going back and trying to standardize how I do screen updates, since it was much more haphazard.
It's becoming more apparent with the display bugs that I will have to move all of my display code into the game's interrupt sequence. So far, the only things I've changed to run in this manner are the status screens (because of the potentially large number of item names) and the Cathedral of Shadows' demon fusion chart in the latest update. I will attempt to integrate the rest of the code in a similar manner and see how it affects the game. Thank you for your patience.