News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 1 & 2  (Read 159622 times)

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei 1 & 2
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2014, 11:42:12 pm »
Don't use ZSNES

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »
Hey, I'm not 100% sure if this is a hack problem or if it's just my emulator settings, but when reaching the Rotting Sea of Flames and then exiting, the game has odd graphical hiccups from the filter effects. I made a gif recording of it.

Spoiler:

I'm not a genius at emulation, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just me.

That is strange. You mention filter effects, does it do the same if those filters are disabled?

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2014, 12:00:52 am »
That is strange. You mention filter effects, does it do the same if those filters are disabled?

It's zsnes. I don't even use filters and that was happening when I played kmt.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:58 am »

I'm relieved that it's not because of the patch, though it is unfortunate that the emulator does that. I remember using Zsnes so many years ago, but nowadays I mostly use Snes9X, or now Higan.

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:40 am »
I'm relieved that it's not because of the patch, though it is unfortunate that the emulator does that. I remember using Zsnes so many years ago, but nowadays I mostly use Snes9X, or now Higan.

I remember, a few years back, having similar issues with the first Shin Megami Tensei in zsnes also. One of the only games I absolutely HAD to play with snes9x. It was a small compromise because I generally use zsnes for the emulation speed ( i have a hodge podge of old compys I use for emulating sometimes) but yeah, its probably the least accurate of the currently used snes emulators so it is what it is.

Just don't stop using Higan. It is by far the easiest means next to a flash cartridge for seeing if your hack will work on actual hardware. Ya know, if that's a concern of yours. Considering you test on higan and members here have tested on flash carts already, I assume you're heading towards having great compatibility on real hardware. Congrats!

Fang

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2014, 05:17:48 am »
Don't use ZSNES

I am trash, carry on.

Drunk Metroid

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:02 am »
Question: Can I keep overwriting the patch and continuing with the same save, or should I start with a clean ROM + save each patch iteration?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:09 pm »
I would generally repatch a translation from a clean ROM each time.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »
Question: Can I keep overwriting the patch and continuing with the same save, or should I start with a clean ROM + save each patch iteration?

Each new patch, I have been patching a new ROM but keep using the same save. Haven't run into any problems yet.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »

You should be able to continue using the same save file. As for patching, as the others have said, patching a new file is the best practice. A patch basically compares an unmodified file to the work-in-progress file that I'm working with, and creates a list of differences to turn the first into the second. Like "at address 100, write down these 10 bytes".

For example, perhaps I have to revert some part of the game to its original state to fix a bug. The new patch file will ignore that part because to it, nothing has changed in that part between the original and changed file. But your older patched game will still contain an outdated change, and the new patch just skips over it. This may cause unexpected bugs to happen.

I believe Snes9X actually allows you to just put the .ips file in the same folder as the rom, and if they're named the same aside from the extension, it will just load the .ips file into memory and boot the game as if it were patched, but will leave your original file intact.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:05:11 pm by ddstranslation »

Ninten

• View Profile
    • DDS-NET
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »
Just finished Megami Tensei. I've actually enjoyed it quite a lot, even if Mazurka and Infini can feel really long and a bit boring at times. I did run into a glitch or two, but they were mostly related to the text being mispositioned or scrambled.

As you can see here, sometimes the game has problems with showing the names properly.

In the Cathedral of Shadows, demon names can get a bit messy at times.

This only happened once (or maybe twice), but the spell names have been completely shuffled.

Same as above, but this time with items.

Some text is mispositioned, but nothing major.

Overall, none of these glitches that I ran into hindered the experience in any way, but thought I would share what caught my eye.

Thank you so much for your hard work, you are a true hero in the eyes of many western SMT fans!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:25:04 pm by Ninten »
Co-creator of the MegaTen message board, DDS-NET

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:16 pm »
Just finished Megami Tensei. I've actually enjoyed it quite a lot, even if Mazurka and Infini can feel really long and a bit boring at times. I did run into a glitch or two, but they were mostly related to the text being mispositioned or scrambled.

As you can see here, sometimes the game has problems with showing the names properly.

In the Cathedral of Shadows, demon names can get a bit messy at times.

This only happened once (or maybe twice), but the spell names have been completed shuffled.

Same as above, but this time with items.

Some text is mispositioned, but nothing major.

Overall, none of these glitches that I ran into hindered the experience in any way, but thought I would share what caught my eye.

Thank you so much for your hard work, you are a true hero in the eyes of many western SMT fans!

Congratulations! And thank you. I was actually watching your progress on your Twitter page and was rooting for you the whole time. :)

I think the first three pics should have their respective bugs fixed in the latest updates. And the last two will definitely need to have the text adjusted to allow for long player names. I will make sure to give the script one good run-through once I modify my text editor to treat names as the maximum possible width. Something I should have done from the start, but instead I only guessed (incorrectly) as to where line breaks needed to be.

Would you be able to download the latest patch and try running through the ending sequence again? I am curious as to whether or not it is actually working.

Thank you for spending the time to test the game. It has been very helpful.

Canzah

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2014, 09:51:35 am »
This is absolutely great news, glad to see that this is finally out.
I lost all hope after the infamous "Almost ready for a 2011 release".
Keep up the good work, going to wait a little more for final release with all the bugs ironed out.

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »
I just started MT1, and I noticed that you have the name ordering going both ways in the intro which creates confusion.  i.e., it says "Nakajima Akemi," and "Yumiko Shirasagi"  The first names here are Akemi and Yumiko, but you've used Japanese name ordering for Nakajima's name and western name ordering for Shirasagi's name.

It should be either
Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi
or
Nakajima Akemi and Shirasagi Yumiko

Atlus's official localizations use western nomenclature, so Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi is probably the way to go here.  I assume the confusion stems from the way that the game refers to Nakajima as Nakajima and Shirasagi as Yumiko most of the time.

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:11 pm »
This is absolutely great news, glad to see that this is finally out.
I lost all hope after the infamous "Almost ready for a 2011 release".
Keep up the good work, going to wait a little more for final release with all the bugs ironed out.

Thank you. I will try to hurry so that you don't have to wait long. :)

I just started MT1, and I noticed that you have the name ordering going both ways in the intro which creates confusion.  i.e., it says "Nakajima Akemi," and "Yumiko Shirasagi"  The first names here are Akemi and Yumiko, but you've used Japanese name ordering for Nakajima's name and western name ordering for Shirasagi's name.

It should be either
Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi
or
Nakajima Akemi and Shirasagi Yumiko

Atlus's official localizations use western nomenclature, so Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi is probably the way to go here.  I assume the confusion stems from the way that the game refers to Nakajima as Nakajima and Shirasagi as Yumiko most of the time.

I think it's in the Japanese last-first method for both names in the intro, and their names should only appear once. But that was also done a long time ago, and I also agree that the name should be in first-last order. I will change them to "Akemi Nakajima" and "Yumiko Shirasagi".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:33:18 pm by ddstranslation »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:02 pm »
I thought Nakajima was the first name?
Indeed they are introduced as Nakajima Akemi and Shirasagi Yumiko in the KMT manual, though just known as Nakajima and Yumiko in the Famicom version (I only own a loose copy of that version, so I don't know what the manual says).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:56:15 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2014, 03:16:35 pm »
I thought Nakajima was the first name?
Indeed they are introduced as Nakajima Akemi and Shirasagi Yumiko in the KMT manual, though just known as Nakajima and Yumiko in the Famicom version (I only own a loose copy of that version, so I don't know what the manual says).

I think it's a Japanese convention of using your family name first and your given name second. It's also a thing where males are referred to by their family name, but females are referred to by their given name.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »
The game refers to them as Nakajima and Yumiko despite what be considered proper and consistent. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal where it needs to be changed.

The thing I wonder is if they are referred that way in the novel.

Fang

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:18 pm »
Minor report: I think this text should say "Purski"?

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:50 pm »
Minor report: I think this text should say "Purski"?

Are you using the latest patch? That one should have the correct spelling for that dialogue. I went back to check on items and names that were spelled explicitly without actually looking them up from the monster or item list, though it's always possible that I missed some.